New or used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New or used?

Anyone have an opinion about nwe vs used cue?

I want to buy a cue for my partner, as a gift, but I can't decide if I should buy him a new or a used one. As I mentioned in another thread, Parris Ambassador is one option, but my knowledge about cues are rather poor 🙄

The only way is to try the cue out but often that is not an option, so it only really comes down to whether the old cue has been looked after and not abused. Also the old cue may not be to the precise spec the player wants... (some players are very particular with their specs, hopefully your partner is not so delicate )
    You can save money on an old cue but sometimes not; you can also save a lot of time as some cue makers have long waiting times for new orders.
    I saw that ADR recommended a JP Classic instead of the Ambassador - to let you know, ADR has dealt in cues, etc. for donkey-years! and his advise has much weight.

For example there are 3 JP Classics on UK ebay; one looks a bit off and being sold by an electrical dealer?
    The other two look better, both are 3/4 and with case and mini extension.

There is no hard and fast rule to buying a cue (just like buying a car) - except if you don't feel comfortable with the price and/or the buyer - walk away, there will always be another one round the corner
    Last edited by DeanH; 22 September 2018, 10:51 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

New or used?

I think stevie1 on here is selling some very nice cues and otherwise ADR147 can also help you maybe

regards
      matt

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
        I think stevie1 on here is selling some very nice cues and otherwise ADR147 can also help you maybe

regards
        matt
        Yes all stuning genuine cues
        Last edited by Stevie1; 22 September 2018, 11:41 AM.
        Current playing cue Trevor White
        3/4 ash cue

Comment

I'm very fussy about the specs of my cues and would hate someone to buy me a cue as a present. Odds on it wouldn't suit and I wouldn't use it. Might cause some ill feeling.
          If you know what you're looking for, buying used can save a bit of money, bit like buying a year old car. Second hand Parris cues tend to hold their value so maybe not much to save. If you want a Parris its a trade between waiting ages for one to be made versus getting one 2nd hand at nearly the cost of new.
          Another option if you or friends are visiting London is to pop into the JP workshop and buy won of the rack. Mate of mine got a lovely JP Professional with great specs for £400.

Comment

Susi, just a thought. Why don't you let your partner buy his own cue and you buy him a Parris case? Alternatively buy him a nice shiny new set of Aramith TC 1g snooker balls. I would be delighted to wake up on Xmas morning with one of those in my Xmas stocking.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
              Susi, just a thought. Why don't you let your partner buy his own cue and you buy him a Parris case? Alternatively buy him a nice shiny new set of Aramith TC 1g snooker balls. I would be delighted to wake up on Xmas morning with one of those in my Xmas stocking.
              I agree with the above.

Buying a cue is more about the feel of the cue rather than make, looks and price. Parris is definitely a good maker, but personally there are better out there. Do you know his exact preferences with regards to specifications? Buying a set of balls or a luxury case for his cue could be an awesome gift.

Comment

New or used?

didn't think of that, would be a good idea.

if you're going for a cue, would be wise
                to go for similar specs he is using now. (unless he's not happy with them of course

Comment

Originally Posted by Susi View Post
                  Anyone have an opinion about nwe vs used cue?

I want to buy a cue for my partner, as a gift, but I can't decide if I should buy him a new or a used one. As I mentioned in another thread, Parris Ambassador is one option, but my knowledge about cues are rather poor ��
                  How good a player is he Susi ?

If he's a very good player then don't as his game has probably evolved around his cue and a nice case would be a better option. If he's relatively average or poor then a custom job would be the best thing for him as it might improve his game. Measure him for height to the shoulder and length of arm span, watch him play and see if he likes a power game or plays with more finesse as cues of a certain weight and balance suit these styles better than others.

As a guide if he's over six feet tall then a cue of 59-60 inches would suit him better, power game ? then a heavy cue of around 20 oz's with a 10mm tip would suit him, more finesse ? then a light cue around 16 oz's and 9-9.5mm tip would suit. Does he have big hands ? if so then a small diameter butt of less than 29mm would feel a bit lost in his grip hand so something around 30-32mm might be better.

There are makers on the forum who can make a custom cue for you for a lot less than the price of a standard Parris.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                    ..... As a guide if he's over six feet tall then a cue of 59-60 inches would suit him better, power game ? then a heavy cue of around 20 oz's......
                    Hmm I'm not liking this advice at all, I know a lot of players over 6' and none use anything longer than the typical 58", plus 20oz is used for clubbing seals!

Comment

I'm 6ft 4 and use a 57.5. some may say abit on the short side but suits me perfectly. 18.5-19oz I say but all down to personal preference

Comment

I think Vmax is just giving an idea of how he matches a cue to someone's height, style of play and cue action. I'm guessing he's used extremes to make his point clear. I use a cue 2-3 inches taller than what most would say I should, but I'm just used to it now. Perhaps I'd play better with a change in cue action and a more appropriate cue length, but I play for fun so I'm content with my current play.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Hmm I'm not liking this advice at all, I know a lot of players over 6' and none use anything longer than the typical 58", plus 20oz is used for clubbing seals!
                          They'd be better with something longer, and 20 oz's is not heavy if the cue is well balanced.

Originally Posted by mathias12 View Post
                          I'm 6ft 4 and use a 57.5. some may say a bit on the short side but suits me perfectly. 18.5-19oz I say but all down to personal preference
                          So would you, and 20 oz's is around 19 is it not ?. I'm guessing that you started young and grew up with your cue, but at six four you've outgrown it. Try a longer one and it will be a revelation to you and your sighting, bridge length, bridge arm and backswing will all go back to when you were younger, shorter and the cue fitted your height.
                          I'm six two and I have long arms (which is why I also quoted arm span) and use a 61 inch cue and to look at me you wouldn't know it as my stance, bridge to ball and cue arm position is normal for my physique.

J6 on the forum is also six four and uses a 57" as his playing cue but he recently made a 61" and posted a video of himself testing it and his cue action looked far better, straighter bridge arm and a tad more bridge to ball which gave him a longer backswing. Now he's a really good player with his 57" but looks the business with that 61" and I hope he sticks with it.
                          It's four inches extra and that's only the width of his hand, it's not massive like Strickland's seven footer, just long enough to free that action up to the same as a bloke of five ten using a 58/57 standard length.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Big thanx to everyone for all the tips It would obviously be better if he could go to London and test it, but unfortunately that's...not an option. But thanx again!!

Comment

Working...
                            X