Tip size for UK 8 Ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip size for UK 8 Ball?

Not very familiar with pool so I thought I'd asked. Simple question but I couldnt find the answer nowhere.

I see a few ppl in the club using the same cue for snooker as they would for UK 8 ball. I'm assuming a 9-10mm tip size is ok for UK pool?

You can use whatever size you want , I think in general pool players prefer a slightly smaller tip than snooker players .There again its all down to each individuals personal choice , and what they feel most comfortable with .

I,ve played both and have always used 10 mill

Comment

Aight sounds logical. Gonna bang some 8 balls later on with my cue lol.

Comment

I've only just started playing snooker seriously in recent months, but I've played a lot of 8-ball. I used to play it fine with my old 10mm snooker cue. For more more cue ball control most people prefer to play with an 8-8.5mm tip from my experience, and - having used a couple of these cues - I would tend to agree. Though with a tip that small you have to be much more accurate with your cue strikes of course.

Please don't take that as gospel though, just what I've observed!

Comment

as i understand it bulkie, in UK and other countries, they often use arnd 8 to 9 mm for pool. but in australia, often, snooker cues is whats used. dont see that many people with tips that size. i help run one of the biggest 8ball weekly comps in victoria (30+ players weekly) and only maybe 5, of those players ever use something smaller than 9.5, me being one of them. thats why i opted for 9.2 mm, a balance between snooker and pool. 9.5 is fine for pool, but i find if u hav good cueing, and understand ball control, 8 or 8.5 is where u want to be :P makes a game of pool so much fun

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
            as i understand it bulkie, in UK and other countries, they often use arnd 8 to 9 mm for pool. but in australia, often, snooker cues is whats used. dont see that many people with tips that size. i help run one of the biggest 8ball weekly comps in victoria (30+ players weekly) and only maybe 5, of those players ever use something smaller than 9.5, me being one of them. thats why i opted for 9.2 mm, a balance between snooker and pool. 9.5 is fine for pool, but i find if u hav good cueing, and understand ball control, 8 or 8.5 is where u want to be :P makes a game of pool so much fun
            8-8.5 sounds scary lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post
              8-8.5 sounds scary lol.
              take it from me mate, if u get use to it, with the small ball n small tip :P its FUN haha the things u can do with the white ball with ease =D

Comment

I play competitive 8 ball pool and currently use a 9mm tip which was taken down from a 10mm tip a few months ago. I've now decided to take it down to an 8mm tip as i feel i will be able to muster even more cue ball control than i currently do. It really is up to the individual to decide what works best for them though, and changing to a smaller tip should only really be considered when the player has harnessed very good ball control skills in my opinion.

Comment

I play 8 ball pool on a regularly basis, normally 3 times a week or so, an 8mm tip seems to work for me quite well

Comment

i use 9.5mm for snooker and 8.7mm for pool.

Comment

8-9mm is the most common.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

8 mm is the best for English pool - I've known players down to as little as 6mm tips which sounds ridiculous and you really need to cue well and consistently so as not to mis-cue. Once you get used to 8mm though, you can put the white anywhere on the table - it's magic.

Certainly don't go above 9mm, is what I'd recommend.

Remember: They all go if you hit em right!
                        Last edited by snookerpoolman; 25 February 2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

i play 8 ball 3 or 4 times a week and think if your cueing and timing is good then a 9.5 can do everything a 8mm tip can, also ive found that u put unecessary side on the cue ball:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by bulkie View Post
                            not very familiar with pool so i thought i'd asked. Simple question but i couldnt find the answer nowhere.

I see a few ppl in the club using the same cue for snooker as they would for uk 8 ball. I'm assuming a 9-10mm tip size is ok for uk pool?
                            hi in the usa they use 13 mm tip most snooker players use size between 9 mn and 10 mm in depeneds on yourself which you are confortable with leonard from canada

Comment

i've seen and used a wide variety of tip sizes over the years for eight ball and found that over about 9.3 mm it is hard to cue balls frozen to the rail or other balls. Anything smaller than 8 mm you risk accidental side spin misscue's or cue breakidge.Smaller the tip the faster it wears out also leading to inconsistency. I think 8.8 mm is ideally suited to the weight and size balls used in uk eight ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X