Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best way 2 remeber potting angles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be showing myself up here, but what is "BOB"?
    Not heard of that term before.
    Cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      I may be showing myself up here, but what is "BOB"?
      Not heard of that term before.
      Cheers
      Back Of Ball .. it's the point of contact between the white and object which sends the object into the center of the pocket.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Thanks for that, "back of ball" - a term for something that I have always been doing, well there you go!?!
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by farlex11 View Post
          Hi Terry,

I hpe that you can help me with this issue as it keeps confusing me .
          I beleive that the subconcious mind can easily determine the line of aim of the most difficult shots just by taking the quickest glance on the shot.
          But how do you guarantee landing correctly on that line while dropping down ,especially if you can't aim correctly after you are locked on the shot ?
          another weird thing is that when i am allligned correctly ,the shot appears extremely wrong from down.but i play it and it goes into the pocket center ? does this make sense.
          You cannot guarantee landing on the line, but you can make it more likely by doing several things..

1. Have a set/consistent manner of getting down on the shot i.e. always stand 1ft back from the back leg position (which is under grip hand at address position on the shot). Walk into the shot back foot, front foot, then twist the body and push the front foot hip out before lowering your body down - this keep the head/eyes on the line of aim and allows you to drop directly down on the shot. Some people like to hold the cue across the body and at the twist stage raise the tip up in front so that it can be lowered with the body on the line of aim.

If things look weird when you're down on the shot it could be one of 2 things.

1. It looks weird because it's wrong, BUT you're adding side or not hitting the center of the white and this 'corrects' it allowing you to pot balls. I have seen players who hit every ball with left hand side (unintentionally) and yet still pot balls, the reason why is that they have done it for so long it has become consistent, and their brain has learned to compensate, picking the correct line.

2. It looks wrong because your head/eye position is slightly wrong. Line up a straight long blue, white on baulk, walk into the shot and get down as normal. Now, close first one eye, then the other. What do you see?

If you're like me, my right eye appears to be sitting to the right of the cue, so the cue angles in a bit from left to right, but the important thing is that if I follow the cue and draw an imaginary line through the white (center) and the object ball to the pocket leather it correctly points at the edge of the leather (where I am aiming the long blue). My left eye however, sees something similar, but slightly 'wrong', the imaginary line does not appear to go through the center of the balls to the pocket leather but slightly off.

Do either of your eyes look 'right'? If not, close both eyes and turn the head (don't move it, just turn it about the vertical axis) slightly in one direction, then repeat the eye test, test all positions in both directions, unless it gets uncomfortable. Using this it is possible to get each eye directly over the cue, but I do not believe you will want that, unless you are actually blind in one eye, in which case you might consider actually placing the cue to one side of the chin or other.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks a lot for your quick response , i will try to test my eyes and head angle as you said although it seems not so simple. (I have a right side dominant eye , and keep changing where i place my cue ,but lately have ben playing with it extremely under my left chin)

but does this have to do anything with my head angle while i"m standing, should i lock it before i bend down ?

another weird fact is that i usually play much better when i'm talking on the phone as i have to hold it between by shoulder and left side cheek ,but when i try to use the same angle without a real phone i fail in potting.

Snooker is weird !!!

Comment

Hi Terry,
              I'm not Terry

Thanks a lot for your quick response , i will try to test my eyes and head angle as you said although it seems not so simple. (I have a right side dominant eye , and keep changing where i place my cue ,but lately have ben playing with it extremely under my left chin)

but does this have to do anything with my head angle while i"m standing, should i lock it before i bend down ?
              I try to stand with my head in a neutral position with my nose on the line of aim. The twist with hip movement is what keeps the head in this position as you go down on the shot, without it you will sway toward the front foot and back as you get down.

another weird fact is that i usually play much better when i'm talking on the phone as i have to hold it between by shoulder and left side cheek ,but when i try to use the same angle without a real phone i fail in potting.

Snooker is weird !!!
              Trying to play snooker with an imaginary phone is weird!!

I think you want a comfortable position, with the head as vertical as possible. Then you want to turn side to side only about the vertical to find the position which balances your eyes giving you the correct picture when you're down.
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

.....another weird fact is that i usually play much better when i'm talking on the phone as i have to hold it between by shoulder and left side cheek ,but when i try to use the same angle without a real phone i fail in potting.
                Your phone shouldn't even be switched on when playing snooker !!

Comment

farlex:

Although nrage is not Terry, he has given you the correct advice. One point I need to emphasize though...snooker is all about haveing a consistent and repeatable technique, and if you're changing where the cue is on the chin all the time this also has an impact on the alignment of your grip hand, forearm and shoulder.

So you can't be consistent if you're always changing things. Follow the advice nrage gave you and try and find a cue position on the chin (should be centre) and a SLIGHT turn of the head in either direction to align the cue more with your dominant eye if you need to and feel more confident with this although it's not necessary unless you have a lot poorer vision in one eye.

Remember, 99.9% of pots are missed because the player didn't deliver the cue straight, not because he selected the wrong line of aim

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Nrage,

I took your advice and kept on trying for 3 successive hours till i found the correct combination that makes aiming easier and landing on the cue so natural.
                    I just had to tilt my head slightly to the right and approach the cue ball center starting from under my left chin's side then start bending while feathering and ending with the cue under my right side chin.
                    In this way my body will naturall guide me to the correct aiming line .

thanks for your ideas.

I also tend to do think of two things conciously while aiming to avoid hesitation.
                    for example :
                    You can inhale while singing :focus focus ,exhale while singing concentrate concentrate .and in the same time imagine any sequence of numbers such as 2,4,6,8,10 ...
                    this way both sides of your brain will be consiously busy ,giving chance to the subconcious mind to take control.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your support ,i follwed Nrage and your advice and it really helped to land naturally on the correct line shot.

Comment

This thread is interesting! What I've found with cueing is sometimes you don't always have the cue arm as rigid as possible, which leads to wobbling all over the place... - i,e, vertical elbow - I know they say you shouldn't tense up but if you try and make your elbow as vertical as poss, you'll find you'll deliver the cue much straighter! Or so that's what I've found anyways!
                        Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

No way to really learn potting angles other than playing the shots repeatedly for years. You should eventually be able to just stand behind the shot, your brain will find the line and all you have to do is get into position while focusing on the the object ball. Everything else from there is all about cueing well.

Comment

one thing I find to help in finding the right angle is to figure out the position of the ball in reference to imaginary lines, spots, pockets. I often try to figure the center of an area and see where it is in reference to this. Just an example, a red directly between the black spot and rail. I find the center and then determine the angle, or use the black as reference point etc... its just helps to visualize angles. Cheers, hope this helps P.S. I developed this from playing the dots on a pool table they tell you where the ball is at all times, no dots on a snooker table so I use references as previously mentioned... cheers lots of practice is required but all visual aids can help... cheers
                            I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

As it happens I'm in middle of designing a product idea that will hopefully solve this question (or at least explain it better) visually and textually...It's something I've been working on for a while whilst practicing and hopefully we'll get it produced for market...
                              Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

I think if you can't just see the potting angle, then cue sports really aren't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X