This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
    For me its the quarter ball cut back into an almost blind corner pocket. Should make it more times than not, but the percentages are reversed too often, with me hitting it too thick. Even worse, once it appears in a session it seems to stay there. I'm careful, get down, am sure I've got the right aim...but no, thick again. Gah!

Sounds like your cue isn't going where you eyes intend it should, if you're sure your eyes are telling the truth? If they are telling the truth, you're delivering the cue off the shot line, with the cue butt to the left of the shot line. When you get down and cue the shot, pause and look at where the tip will strike, is it centre ball. If it's not centred, are you cueing across the ball?

Comment

• No. Its an aim problem. I hit the white how I intend to, for some reason I always think the correct angle is thicker than where it actually is when assessing the shot. I just have a mental block on that sort of shot, that doesn't appear elsewhere in my game. Another problem is I incorrect prescription contact lenses....but that's not the mechanism at fault here.

Comment

• Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
        Anyone have any problems with their game/technique im extremely bored!
        Hi Roy, when trying to cut blacks from the top pocket position I have about a 30% success rate. I have tried aiming using the ghost ball, pinning the black onto an imaginary rail and striking the CB with side to hit the BOB, all work but unreliable.
        I am cuing straight.
        What should I do next ?
        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

No. Its an aim problem. I hit the white how I intend to, for some reason I always think the correct angle is thicker than where it actually is when assessing the shot. I just have a mental block on that sort of shot, that doesn't appear elsewhere in my game. Another problem is I incorrect prescription contact lenses....but that's not the mechanism at fault here.

Had a couple of hours practice today. Horrible. I'm a long way back from where I used to be. I've developed a range of inconsistencies (not hitting through the ball being among them), but I'm cueing straight (first hit up and down the spots straight back onto the cue tip, the rest too).

I can't see. I suspect part of the problem is astigmatism, and part is just that my contact lens prescription isn't right. I struggle to go between cue and object ball (one too close, one too far away). I lose the aim position on the object ball, and I miss because of that (I think).

It was really horrible today though....struggled to take the colours off the spots even.

Comment

Had a couple of hours practice today. Horrible. I'm a long way back from where I used to be. I've developed a range of inconsistencies (not hitting through the ball being among them), but I'm cueing straight (first hit up and down the spots straight back onto the cue tip, the rest too).

I can't see. I suspect part of the problem is astigmatism, and part is just that my contact lens prescription isn't right. I struggle to go between cue and object ball (one too close, one too far away). I lose the aim position on the object ball, and I miss because of that (I think).

It was really horrible today though....struggled to take the colours off the spots even.
            You're either not sighting the correct angle on your walk-in or you've move alignment when down and your dominant eye is no longer seeing the angle it saw when you were standing up. This has happened to me in the past. The adjustment to correct is tiny but as long as your mistake is consistent, the solution is easy. You either move the cue to the left or right to take into account hitting the object ball thick or thin, or you move your head to realign your dominant eye. Simples.

Pro players have to do this in the middle of a frame. It's understanding what is going wrong that's the key, being self aware but not anxious. Once you know what you are doing wrong, you can figure out what to correct. Whatever you do, don't blink, fatal.

Comment

• Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
              Around the black spot requires good "touch play" with little soft screws and stuns. For this I would recommend simply the line up with 1 red behind the black to start with increasing it to 2,3 and 4 over the weeks. Also try just potting the black off its spot and using the cushion to help you which is what its there for. Remember, whether you think you can or whether you think you cant your probably right so clear your mind of any negative thoughts when your in/around the pink/black area and give every pot 100% concentration.
              Great advice, build up your confidence and then these shots become natural

Comment

• My shot in which I miss too often:

White ball couple mm's off the side cushion, cueing towards the balk colours / potting the green from the side cushion with over half the table as distance. I always catch it thick.

Any tips?

Comment

• hit it thinner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bobbyruss2010 View Post
                    My shot in which I miss too often:

White ball couple mm's off the side cushion, cueing towards the balk colours / potting the green from the side cushion with over half the table as distance. I always catch it thick.

Any tips?
                    Set it up 20 times and play it again and again to learn each time you play the shot and make adjustments where you think you need to. Just a matter of getting used to playing the shot and it will give you more confidence when it comes up in a frame.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      hit it thinner
                      Thanks ever so much for this brilliant advice

Comment

• Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
                        How about shots where you have to cue from under the cushion - never been comfortable with these.
                        Think we are all uncomfortable with playing off cushion shots.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          I always struggle potting balls from around the pink spot into the centre bags, they always hit either the far knuckle and bounce off or catch the near one. I read somewhere that I need to aim differently for a slow roller because of the nap.
                          around the pink spot depending on what angle i have to play with, i try to guage the shot power so the ball trickles in. i aim for just inside the far knuckle as the nap pulls down table, the pace of the shot against the nap should pull it in towards the pocket. risks not being pacey enough sometimes and leaving one up.

I mean im only a mid 30 break player but i just try to study the behavior and characteristics of the table. Depends how often you play on the same table too as all will play slightly different and all need adjusting to accordingly. Experiment!!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Lee-Barker View Post
                            around the pink spot depending on what angle i have to play with, i try to guage the shot power so the ball trickles in. i aim for just inside the far knuckle as the nap pulls down table, the pace of the shot against the nap should pull it in towards the pocket. risks not being pacey enough sometimes and leaving one up.

I mean im only a mid 30 break player but i just try to study the behavior and characteristics of the table. Depends how often you play on the same table too as all will play slightly different and all need adjusting to accordingly. Experiment!!!
                            You must not be playing for position on next ball then if you just trickle the pinks in ?
                            Very rare to not have to play a stun/screw/run thro which you can't do if just playing dead weight

Comment

• around the pink spot depending on what angle i have to play with, i try to guage the shot power so the ball trickles in. i aim for just inside the far knuckle as the nap pulls down table, the pace of the shot against the nap should pull it in towards the pocket. risks not being pacey enough sometimes and leaving one up.
                              I wouldn't advocate this... Rolling balls in leaves room for a kick, OB to hit a finger mark, a piece of dust or even simply roll off...

Always play pots at a comfortable pace when you can.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                                I wouldn't advocate this... Rolling balls in leaves room for a kick, OB to hit a finger mark, a piece of dust or even simply roll off...

Always play pots at a comfortable pace when you can.
                                I'm always on to my mate about pocket weight as he is always over hitting his shots and either misses or loses position. Think pocket weight for a beginner means just drop it in with no thought of position, the way I think of it now is playing the pot to get position at the pace that keeps accuracy higher and getting position as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X