X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwing Back : I'm ending up with no back spin when I hit the object ball

Hi

This was a bit of self-diagnosis.

I have been playing the following shot parallel to the middle pocket.

The cue ball is in line with the yellow, and the object ball is in line with the green.

A lot of the time, I'm stunning or getting minimal screwback.

Of course if I bring the object ball to to the blue spot, I clearly have enough back spin on the white and I get some very nice screw shots.

Now if I put the object ball inbetween the blue spot and the green Im starting to find my limit. I'm getting screw, if I concentrate, or I get stun.

Does anyone have some guidance of how to build up the distance one is able to screw back. I'm looking at maybe doing a progressive drill, where I build up the distance and understand the difference indistances.

If you can post a simple video of doing what you are describing and experienced players will coach you to great screwbacks in no time :-)

Personally I can say it takes time and practise but if people will give you advice on the basic things you are doing wrong the time it takes to master will be seriously cut.

Comment

This video really helped me with screwing back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97SacEsVaV8&t=13s

As a practice I set up a similar shot and try too screw back into the middle pocket to test my straight cueing and screw back technique. The more length between the object ball and cue ball the more I subconsciously start to grip the cue tighter and compensate by putting more power into the shot when it's not needed. I've really been concentrating on a light grip, follow through and controlled speed and that seems to be paying dividend especially with the screw back show.

Comment

I'll post a video in due course. Most likely on an American pool table, but the effect will probably be the same.

It could be multiple things. I've seen Nik's video before I struggle with the muscle memory to hold the cue with two fingers, I soon go to three and then four etc.

Video hopefully on the way, as well as maybe trying with drinks bottle to practice follow through.

Comment

You need to practice the screw shot at distance then there are a few ways basically if you line a few balls up at varying distance until you reach your limit... build it up from easy until you get to that bit where you say it becomes stun ...now we're in the area of technique... to improve this you should try cueing through the ball better because you are not getting through it as you should... note there are some dead tables n cloths where this shot is hard with a normal.cue action at distance ... on a new cloth the ball skidss more so it holds the spin better.

I used to put two balls either side of the cue to avoid any unwanted movement but it's hard to stay still for me on a deep screw shot at long distance I can keep still on this shot you mention... but I have decent timing and a pause even so for a deep screw my cue always ends flicking up on the white for this particular shot ... a bit trump Ronnie and fagan like - I don't know how I do it it's just timing and practice and getting drunk whilst I was watching my hero Alex Higgins play one night ...basically this is text book wrong - yet I copy and imitate others and try stuff out - out it is possible you are not raising the butt enough or curing low enough on the white or gettin thro it enough...practice not by immediately starting with that shot at distance start at shorter distance and build it up - bit bad advice but anyway but hey it's the best I can do

Comment

Originally Posted by whatadom View Post
            Hi

This was a bit of self-diagnosis.

I have been playing the following shot parallel to the middle pocket.

The cue ball is in line with the yellow, and the object ball is in line with the green.

A lot of the time, I'm stunning or getting minimal screwback.

Of course if I bring the object ball to to the blue spot, I clearly have enough back spin on the white and I get some very nice screw shots.

Now if I put the object ball inbetween the blue spot and the green Im starting to find my limit. I'm getting screw, if I concentrate, or I get stun.

Does anyone have some guidance of how to build up the distance one is able to screw back. I'm looking at maybe doing a progressive drill, where I build up the distance and understand the difference indistances.

Lower your bridge you can also turn it over ....then aim has low has you can without jumping the cue ball ...keep your grip loose to avoid tension and push through the cue ball keeping your cue on the line ....it's all about timing

Comment

Originally Posted by whatadom View Post
              I'll post a video in due course. Most likely on an American pool table, but the effect will probably be the same.

It could be multiple things. I've seen Nik's video before I struggle with the muscle memory to hold the cue with two fingers, I soon go to three and then four etc.

Video hopefully on the way, as well as maybe trying with drinks bottle to practice follow through.
              Cloths are different so effect will not be the same? ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Cloths are different so effect will not be the same? ?
                I think he means screw back is screwback regardless of what type of table.
                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Without changing anything technically, try holding your follow through and staying still on the shot. I'm 90% sure you'll find an improvement in both accuracy and amount of screwback generated.
                  I've played alot of snooker over the years so am not really a beginner but even I go back to this basic thought when i'm struggling and it usually works wonders.
                  "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                    Without changing anything technically, try holding your follow through and staying still on the shot. I'm 90% sure you'll find an improvement in both accuracy and amount of screwback generated.
                    I've played alot of snooker over the years so am not really a beginner but even I go back to this basic thought when i'm struggling and it usually works wonders.
                    I've nothing to add to this technique wise as it's very good advice, I would just say it's the reason I don't like this particular shot as a way to practice screw back, because it's a dead straight , close in ,shot it encourages you to get the cue out the way quickly to let the cue ball come back, so you are moving and can't hold the position as Tom says. I would play this just off straight so the cue ball will come back and miss the cue and you can stay still and down on the shot.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think he means screw back is screwback regardless of what type of table.
                      What I was getting at is if it's a nap less cloth then cue ball may not react the same

Comment

Your right It will

Comment

Practice the shot looking only at the cue ball and report back.

Comment

Screwing Back : I'm ending up with no back spin when I hit the object ball

put your bridge hand closer, hold the cue loose.

If that doesn't fix it, you're either not following through level or far enough.

Comment

It's all practise, innit?

You'll probably be decelerating at impact and not hitting as low as you think you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X