• Show
Clear All

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

mellow yellow... c'mon... lol

part 2 up

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Part 1 is uploaded
      First shot you can pot full ball and throw the red in no problem.
      Second shot, the pink either goes or it doesn't...side won't make any difference to the shot. Your eyes play tricks with tight pots. Please don't get TD talking about swerving OB balls again lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
        someone has hung some toilet roll on your wall
        Well he's not from Manchester so it makes sense :biggrin-new:

Comment

Part 1 is uploaded
          It would have been handy to have Luke put the camera right at the pocket instead of sitting back so far from the table and those upside down shots did my head in. What I would have liked to see is exactly how much of a pocket you had, like 1/2 or 1/4 of the pocket but I couldn't tell.

Those red undies were a show-stopper though. Can you do another short one with the camera close in to the pocket so we can see the 3 balls? This is something I've never tried but against the nap it would be more likely I think whereas yours was with the nap or at least across the nap so there may have been a slight nap effect. I have done this with a roll in the table but that's cheating.

I'm still not certain you are transferring enough spin to curl that pink maybe around 1/2" or so in that distance. If I had this shot in a match I think I'd elect the long blue if it was on spot or maybe the yellow. Everything I've seen so far on transferred spin the OB is hardly turning at all and certainly not with the spin it takes on the CB to curve it that amount.

If you have one use a spotted cueball in place of the pink and with the camera closer.

Thanks
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            First shot you can pot full ball and throw the red in no problem.
            Second shot, the pink either goes or it doesn't...side won't make any difference to the shot. Your eyes play tricks with tight pots. Please don't get TD talking about swerving OB balls again lol
            That's what pottr and Luke were saying but I do find it hard to believe. In addition there could be some helping causes such as across the nap or maybe a slight roll in the table which might have an effect at those speeds.

This is the one thing you and I agree on Travis so more definitive proof is needed to convince me.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              That's what pottr and Luke were saying but I do find it hard to believe. In addition there could be some helping causes such as across the nap or maybe a slight roll in the table which might have an effect at those speeds.

This is the one thing you and I agree on Travis so more definitive proof is needed to convince me.
              Yep no such thing as swerving OBs

Comment

It's there in the video.

extreme right on the white enabled the ball that couldn't pot... to pot

millimetres, but it is there.

You can debate and disagree with me all you like.

I was there.
                My eyes were not playing tricks
                Try it for yourself.

the pinks definitely did not go.

Comment

It's there in the video.

extreme right on the white enabled the ball that couldn't pot... to pot

millimetres, but it is there.

You can debate and disagree with me all you like.

I was there.
                  Try it for yourself.

the pinks definitely did not go.
                  Like I said the eyes play tricks.
                  You can look at tight pots sometimes and think they won't go...then they fly into the middle of the pocket!
                  I can do all sorts with the white but I've never made the OB swerve

Comment

It doesn't swerve...

I aim to miss the pink and the side causes the OB to list slowly to the opposite direction.

My eyes (and Luke's) weren't playing tricks.

We put the camera right behind the shot so you could see it didn't pot.... you can see for yourself

It's pretty open and shut.

the OB does not swerve... it edges away

Comment

You need part 3 and 4...

part 2 clips where I do it again

Comment

It doesn't swerve...

I aim to miss the pink and the side causes the OB to list slowly to the opposite direction.

My eyes (and Luke's) weren't playing tricks.

We put the camera right behind the shot so you could see it didn't pot.... you can see for yourself

It's pretty open and shut.

the OB does not swerve... it edges away
                        Like TD said you will need the camara up close, couldn't see anything on the vid.
                        I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
                        When I use SIT the OB looks to go in a straight line
                        Last edited by travisbickle; 13 September 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

ok... I will give it a go with the Saffa tomorrow.

Luke is a poor #2

Comment

ok... I will give it a go with the Saffa tomorrow.

Luke is a poor #2
                            Yeah his camara work is like being on a fairground ride :biggrin-new:

Comment

You need part 3 and 4...

part 2 clips where I do it again
                              Right now you're batting -2,000 as the vote is 2-0 with Travis and myself. However, you have to admit there could be other factors playing a part in this demonstration. So to eliminate any questions of doubt try this...set up the shot for the other side of the pink so it has to curl to the RIGHT rather than left. This would eliminate my 2 questionable factors of nap effect and a slight roll. Use a spotted cueball if you have one so we can see just how much spin you place on the OB and lastly tell Luke not to sit in the chair but get up closer to the pocket, in fact right behind the pocket (he can take his chair if he's tired) and have all 3 balls and the pocket in view.

If you are able to bend the pink BOTH ways I might become a believer yet! Have you got a tripod? I got seasick from both videos. (You see, no matter how hard you try there will still be unbelievers out there, just ask BS and Travis).

P.S. - use a soft tip to maximize that spin on the CB.
                              Last edited by Terry Davidson; 13 September 2017, 06:36 PM.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

No spotted white. no tripod.

I play the shot in to the opposite pocket in one of the other parts.

You know what though, Terry... You have all the film gear too...

give it a go

Comment

Working...
                                X