Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    No spotted white. no tripod.

I play the shot in to the opposite pocket in one of the other parts.

You know what though, Terry... You have all the film gear too...

give it a go
    No, no, no...the opposite pocket might benefit from the same nap effect and roll as it will bend to the right if they are there. You have to use the same pocket and get the pink to bend both ways to confirm the effect.

By the way I tried this and couldn't get the OB to bend and I have a 6811 with a strong nap but I brushed and blocked it just before. I am always here by myself so no one to help but I do have a tripod but it would make for a long video and I don't know how to edit videos plus I've never posted on youtube although I do have an account through my google ID so if I can get the ambition I'll try it again and try and post it. And I do have a spotted CB.

I'm pretty certain you cannot transfer enough spin to the OB to get it to curve even a couple of millimeters. Now it's practice time for my afternoon session.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      No, no, no...the opposite pocket might benefit from the same nap effect and roll as it will bend to the right if they are there. You have to use the same pocket and get the pink to bend both ways to confirm the effect.

By the way I tried this and couldn't get the OB to bend and I have a 6811 with a strong nap but I brushed and blocked it just before. I am always here by myself so no one to help but I do have a tripod but it would make for a long video and I don't know how to edit videos plus I've never posted on youtube although I do have an account through my google ID so if I can get the ambition I'll try it again and try and post it. And I do have a spotted CB.

I'm pretty certain you cannot transfer enough spin to the OB to get it to curve even a couple of millimeters. Now it's practice time for my afternoon session.
      Is Les Edwards still playing Terry? How's he doing? He might be able to help you upload any videos you do.

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

In part 3... I explain a touch about what I think happens...

oddly, my explanation on tbe video is similar to what you just say.

A combination of the nap and perhaps generating a small kick of sorts.

saying you can't put spin on the ob isn't true... we have all had balls kick which deviate massively

Comment

It's obvious what's needed Terry... get your ass on a plane

LETS CRACK THIS TOGETHER!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Right now you're batting -2,000 as the vote is 2-0 with Travis and myself. However, you have to admit there could be other factors playing a part in this demonstration. So to eliminate any questions of doubt try this...set up the shot for the other side of the pink so it has to curl to the RIGHT rather than left. This would eliminate my 2 questionable factors of nap effect and a slight roll. Use a spotted cueball if you have one so we can see just how much spin you place on the OB and lastly tell Luke not to sit in the chair but get up closer to the pocket, in fact right behind the pocket (he can take his chair if he's tired) and have all 3 balls and the pocket in view.

If you are able to bend the pink BOTH ways I might become a believer yet! Have you got a tripod? I got seasick from both videos. (You see, no matter how hard you try there will still be unbelievers out there, just ask BS and Travis).

P.S. - use a soft tip to maximize that spin on the CB.
            Another myth.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa....html#hardness

Comment

It's obvious what's needed Terry... get your ass on a plane

LETS CRACK THIS TOGETHER!

It's been cracked mate. In 1835.

Please stop encouraging Terry with this swerving OB nonsense.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                Yep you can't beat a hard tip when using side

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                  Well he's not from Manchester so it makes sense :biggrin-new:
                  That's a cheap shot. Pottr got out of his plastic armchair to do that video and i didn't see him munch on a prawn sandwich once.

Plus he's a Chelsea fan now, after losing interest in Leicester city.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                    Yep you can't beat a hard tip when using side
                    Well, i think the point is it doesn't really matter either way.

Comment

• Anyway, does anyone else feel pottr's video to be the biggest anti climax in cue sports since cliff thorburn beat Alex Higgins in the 1980 WC final?

Strike a light - terrible so far!

Comment

I don't think anyone quite gets what I'm trying to demonstrate on it.

I was not swerving the OB that's for sure.

I'll make another one tomorrow and explain better

Comment

Well, I thought you said you were attempting to curl the pink around the red to pot it but only 2mm or so at best. I just tried this with a spotted CB and couldn't get any type of spin on the OB and no curl. I tried 5 times on each side of the red and I set up the red so I didn't have any pocket at all just to see if I could get the pink a little closer to centre pocket.

No way Jose. The spots on the OB hardly turned at all, at best 1/8th turn (if that) and it went absolutely straight with no curl. Do you have an old set of balls where you could use a felt tip marker (not indelible) to mark a ball like pink or yellow? It will wipe off easily with a damp cloth or even some spit.

Then get some sticky tape and put a dab of the sticky backing on the OB and try that too. Might see more effect with that so if you play in a tourney carry some sticky stuff and tell the referee you're going to 'clean' the OB.
                          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 13 September 2017, 08:11 PM.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I get what your trying to say now by aiming wider and throwing the OB on a slightly different line. I'll give it a go tomorrow, but I have my doubts that it'll work

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              Well, i think the point is it doesn't really matter either way.
                              I don't get the same bite with soft tips at all, hate them with a passion!

Comment

Cracking efforts here to try and get to the bottom of this issue. Great stuff Pottr enjoyed watching the vids. Slo Mo with pool stripes or training spot ball might just close the deal. This deserves TV quality camera status in my opinion now. Anyone listening on the BBC ? 😀
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X