Originally Posted by dageneral1 View Post
    live interview with Stephen Hendry.....
    click the link below to watch....

https://www.facebook.com/curt.dagene...3561718010381/
    Completely Off the Topic !!

@ Mods , where are you guys ?? :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

The first impression of your brain is usually the right one.
      This is definitely correct.

See the line from CB to OB , drop cue and yourself down on that line and take the shot on. Thats my Aiming prep...
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Welshbaizeboy View Post
        Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago about this its hard to let instinct go but i potted a few just on memory and it certainly makes the game less mentally tiring as your putting it in the hands of a tested system rather than mentally using your brain like a angle computer 4 each pot- even though you have done that to a degree by figuring out if it 1/4 1/2 ball so on I can imagine with lots of practise its great just hard to let go from instinct potting
        Couldn't be bothered with it back to instinct it is seems like most on here knew! Din't help I fell out with my coach and not been back

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
          Let me try to illustrate Semih's explanation. Look at the following diagram; the red which is on the pink spot with the white on the brown spot.

Looking at Line 1, the player is extending that line through the red till it comes out the other side. The cue-ball must aim to hit the red at the exact point where it is on Line 1. So, by visualising the cue-ball's path to this exact point, we have Line 2 which, extended to the end of the table, gives us the point on the cushion which we need to aim for (the outline ball in the diagram). So, by aiming the white down the table towards my outline white, it will give you the correct line.

I have also done two more examples, a blue and a pink, on the same table.

the links you supplied for the brown spot and the back cushion take me to different shopping sites. are they working correctly for everyone.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
            I don't go into any shot thinking "it's a 3/4 or 1/2 ball shot", I just pick the part of the object ball the cue ball needs to hit to make it go in the pocket. I can't help but think everybody's making the game much harder than it needs to be by over complicating things.
            Tom I do this however not very consistent with it, the issue I have is I know which part of the OB I need to hit , but can't find a consistent way to know what part on the cueball needs to contact that point and this then becomes like trial and error. in practice it's ok because you can keep replacing balls until you get it. however in games you have one shot.

I'm struggling big time and its effected my confidence to the extent when i'm faced with a 3/4 type shot straight ahead a few inches away I am not sure if I will pot or not

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
              Tom I do this however not very consistent with it, the issue I have is I know which part of the OB I need to hit , but can't find a consistent way to know what part on the cueball needs to contact that point and this then becomes like trial and error. in practice it's ok because you can keep replacing balls until you get it. however in games you have one shot.

I'm struggling big time and its effected my confidence to the extent when i'm faced with a 3/4 type shot straight ahead a few inches away I am not sure if I will pot or not
              But it should be trial and error. Forget numbers. There are no shortcuts.
              Myself I have a very hard time believing guys who claim aiming errors. For myself I only claim cue delivery problems.
              So many guys in my club I have seen pot an amazing long red, only then to miss what looks like a routine black. But it's not really a routine shot for most players regardless of what they think. Not at all.
              There's work to be done with cue ball, there are surrounding reds ready for the taking.
              My guess is that most club guys stiffen up badly when they see a break building opportunity. But on initial long red they were relaxed and smooth for some reason. That's pressure vs no pressure coupled with technique which most likely isn't pressure proof at all because you know none of us are pros, right?
              I also crumble sometimes when I'm in amongst the balls, but not as much as before. No shame in that, because it's a tough game.
              Try to play a bit faster. It may relieve some tension. Sometimes this works for me when I'm struggling.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                But it should be trial and error. Forget numbers. There are no shortcuts.
                Myself I have a very hard time believing guys who claim aiming errors. For myself I only claim cue delivery problems.
                So many guys in my club I have seen pot an amazing long red, only then to miss what looks like a routine black. But it's not really a routine shot for most players regardless of what they think. Not at all.
                There's work to be done with cue ball, there are surrounding reds ready for the taking.
                My guess is that most club guys stiffen up badly when they see a break building opportunity. But on initial long red they were relaxed and smooth for some reason. That's pressure vs no pressure coupled with technique which most likely isn't pressure proof at all because you know none of us are pros, right?
                I also crumble sometimes when I'm in amongst the balls, but not as much as before. No shame in that, because it's a tough game.
                Try to play a bit faster. It may relieve some tension. Sometimes this works for me when I'm struggling.
                I do agree with you to some extent that cueing issues are to blame on a lot of shots , however there are times when its an aiming issue.

I played last night in the league, best I've played for sometime , made 3 20+ breaks won pretty easy but on 2 of those 20+ breaks I broke down on the black high.

it wasn't nerves because I was relaxed and playing well. the last break I was on a 25 break 3/4 black high yellow just off its spot all what was need was to play with top spin to come down the table to land on the yellow. I already knew the path the cueball would take it was a natural angle so all I needed to do was pot the black and hit it thick as I always do.

I've been working on this for sometime and I find it difficult to pot it consistently , the angle I see looks correct to me but is thick so when I play and miss it is thick it make me question what I am seeing. (but I am sure it is correct)

so I deduce that I see the correct angle but can't figure out the line the cueball needs to take to meet the point. yes sometimes I may not cue straight however I can't be cueing incorrectly all the time.

well its something I need to work on and I will put in all the hours needed to solve this issue because its one of the main issues stopping me move on to the next level

Comment

Hi Bud,

Have you tried these pressure high blacks with a bit of side , you know, on the yellow side drop the high black in with right hand side to still come up the middle of the table.
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

And aim black for far jaw.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

I do aim for the far jaw. don't get me wrong I can pot these at least 60% of the time. however this is not good enough for me , I should be potting them minimum 80%

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi
                        I do agree with you to some extent that cueing issues are to blame on a lot of shots , however there are times when its an aiming issue.
                        I know, but aiming problem is a much better problem to have than cueing problem. If your cue action is reliable and repetitive, you could easily adjust your aim and brain will store this in muscle memory very quickly.
                        Lots of practise and matches are required, even if your cue action is great.

I played last night in the league, best I've played for sometime , made 3 20+ breaks won pretty easy but on 2 of those 20+ breaks I broke down on the black high.
                        Good, but you must have played that black differently to all previous shots. See below.

it wasn't nerves because I was relaxed and playing well. the last break I was on a 25 break 3/4 black high yellow just off its spot all what was need was to play with top spin to come down the table to land on the yellow. I already knew the path the cueball would take it was a natural angle so all I needed to do was pot the black and hit it thick as I always do.
                        See the thought pattern here? "All I need to do is this and that"...etc. And then you're on 32 with a chance for an easy 59 clearance, right?
                        Now I'm sure on previous shots you didn't think like that. How come you didn't leave yourself a bad angle on the black playing the final red? There was every chance of that too.
                        Very very hard to not get ahead of yourself in this game. I do this plenty of times.

I've been working on this for sometime and I find it difficult to pot it consistently , the angle I see looks correct to me but is thick so when I play and miss it is thick it make me question what I am seeing. (but I am sure it is correct)

so I deduce that I see the correct angle but can't figure out the line the cueball needs to take to meet the point. yes sometimes I may not cue straight however I can't be cueing incorrectly all the time.

well its something I need to work on and I will put in all the hours needed to solve this issue because its one of the main issues stopping me move on to the next level
                        Sure aim/alignment errors can creep up too, but I'd rather have those than cueing errors. If I strike the ball cleanly and still miss, I know the next time I will adjust and get it probably. The feedback is clearly there as the cue was delivered properly.
                        If I feel I cued poorly, there's no feedback and no way for brain to remember any angles.
                        Worse case scenario is if I cued poorly and aligned the cue wrong, but somehow potted the ball because all of the errors canceled each other out.
                        Last edited by ace man; 14 September 2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Aceman for taking the time to comment on each point, good feedback that I will definitely take on board .

I think a lot of times we cue badly but can't see that we did. I was playing straigh blues yesterday and thought I'd record it with my iPhone . After looking back at the footage and slowing it down initiced on quite a few of the shots I didn't push the cue through straight. And on some not many I wasn't even lined up correct.

I'm at 60% potting them so far

Comment

when i am playing good, i am cueing accurately, but most of all I can tell when I am not aiming correctly and know when i am tracked on, its not a spider sense but something like it, I play allot and don't always feel it or know it but when its there the balls are potted in dead centre of the pocket.
                            I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

A little more on the subject of angles. When I am playing a shot to what I believe is called 'an open pocket', it is reasonably straightforward to pick the BOB in order to execute the pot (picking it is often easier than achieving it!) but, when playing a shot to 'a closed pocket' things become somewhat more tricky. I can walk round the table to establish the line of the shot and to try to pinpoint the BOB but, when I then walk back to get behind the cue ball to play the shot, the perspective is totally different and I struggle to make my mind up as to where to hit the object ball.

When I encounter a fairly difficult shot I can look at it and I am saying to myself "If I cut this too thin, the object ball will miss the pocket to the left or, if I hit it at say 1/2 ball it will go to the right, this then gives me a better idea on where I need to hit the object ball to make the pot. I can sometimes use this method when playing towards a 'closed pocket' but it is a little more hit and miss. Is anyone able to offer any tips on playing shots to closed pockets please.

I am playing quite well at the moment (for me anyway) and I am getting a number of 9, 10 and 11 ball breaks, with good (for me again) positional play but, I can fall apart when playing the black for instance when trying to cut it back, as opposed to a forward shot. I hope that I have described this OK and you can understand what I am trying to say.

Whilst discussing the black in particular, can someone please clarify to this old codger what is meant by 'being high on the black' or conversely 'being low on it'. I have my own thoughts but I think I may be wrong.

As ever, thanks for all the help chaps. You are still helping my game no end.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
                                A little more on the subject of angles. When I am playing a shot to what I believe is called 'an open pocket', it is reasonably straightforward to pick the BOB in order to execute the pot (picking it is often easier than achieving it!) but, when playing a shot to 'a closed pocket' things become somewhat more tricky. I can walk round the table to establish the line of the shot and to try to pinpoint the BOB but, when I then walk back to get behind the cue ball to play the shot, the perspective is totally different and I struggle to make my mind up as to where to hit the object ball.

When I encounter a fairly difficult shot I can look at it and I am saying to myself "If I cut this too thin, the object ball will miss the pocket to the left or, if I hit it at say 1/2 ball it will go to the right, this then gives me a better idea on where I need to hit the object ball to make the pot. I can sometimes use this method when playing towards a 'closed pocket' but it is a little more hit and miss. Is anyone able to offer any tips on playing shots to closed pockets please.

I am playing quite well at the moment (for me anyway) and I am getting a number of 9, 10 and 11 ball breaks, with good (for me again) positional play but, I can fall apart when playing the black for instance when trying to cut it back, as opposed to a forward shot. I hope that I have described this OK and you can understand what I am trying to say.

Whilst discussing the black in particular, can someone please clarify to this old codger what is meant by 'being high on the black' or conversely 'being low on it'. I have my own thoughts but I think I may be wrong.

As ever, thanks for all the help chaps. You are still helping my game no end.
                                Hi ,

With closed pocket shots , because OB is so closed to the pocket and you're trying to focus on OB, your eyes getting distracted by the pocket.
                                At the time of striking your brain gonna try to focus on 2 different points. This usually leads to cueing error.
                                What I usually do with this kind of shots keep my eye on the cue from the moment i start delivery . watch the cue (following the cue with my eye ) during delivery with my eye abit longer comperd to other shots . About 2 - 3 seconds before striking , swtich my eye to the OB .
                                I'm no coach , this is my way to do it and it works for me .

Unless of cours , with closed pocket shots you're referring to the shots where the OB and CB are too close ( distance between CB and OB too short* ) ??
                                This makes judging the angle to do the center ball striking* abit more* difficult
                                Well , in that case , i always play the shot with side* ( helping side ) .
                                Again , it's my way to do things and what works for me , may be not useful to you !!*

Comment

Working...
                                X