Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much distance should be between cue and hip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much distance should be between cue and hip?

I'm pretty sure that my cueing is not as it should be and I think this may already begin with the stance and more importantly by my cue action.
    One of the much points I'm thinking about lately is, if there is a general rule how much right of my right hip the cue (I'm right handed) should be. I haven't seen a coach yet, but a guy I recently played with and who plays much pool billiards told me that he is thinking I'm forcing my elbow to much inwards (towards my body). That would maybe be another question: Must the elbow be totally upright as well? It always looks that way with the players of course, but sometimes to me this seems a bit unnatural.

Thanks for any help.

As far as the hip clearance goes, it should be enough so your grip hand thumb does not catch your trouser pocket, or in other words at least 2". For the elbow, it's IDEAL (textbook) to have the elbow directly over the cue however there are not a lot of top players that do it. For instance Ronnie, Hendry and John Higgins have their elbow into their back a bit while other players like Williams have the elbow outside the body.

It doesn't matter as long as you can deliver the cue straight.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      As far as the hip clearance goes, it should be enough so your grip hand thumb does not catch your trouser pocket, or in other words at least 2". For the elbow, it's IDEAL (textbook) to have the elbow directly over the cue however there are not a lot of top players that do it. For instance Ronnie, Hendry and John Higgins have their elbow into their back a bit while other players like Williams have the elbow outside the body.

It doesn't matter as long as you can deliver the cue straight.
      Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
      X