Last post for a while but advice sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Snookclops View Post
    Totally agree, but my first goal was to beat my friend after he beat me many times.

I must have done 15 hours a week and obsessively researched the game for about a year. I got better but my friend still beat me, almost every frame.

Once I had done about 3 hours a day for a week and he turned up, drunk, and still beat me. With no practice.

This is why I am here,

Perhaps it’s mental. I usually get in the lead in the first frame, get a few in offs and do a stupid shot and lose narrowly. Then I lose it completely and I can’t pot a ball. However, he reaches a level I don’t, he might make 20s more regularly but they are nearly always close games.

Driving me mad. I’ve succeeded at everything I’ve tried with practice. I am super disciplined when I tried but losing over and over just broke me, I can’t beat this guy and as soon as the bull**** starts, the flukes he seems to get over and over (he admits I am unlucky), plus my stupid decisions....usually an in off etc, I weaken and can’t get into it. I’d still say he’s a better player but one would think I’d win 30% of frames, given most are finished on blue, pink or black. Rarely am I beater before colours.
    What sort of practice were you doing? The hours you were putting in were easily enough to get improvement.

Comment

Sounds like you're beating yourself up about it too much. Snooker is very much a mental game and it's almost impossible to win if you aren't enjoying it. Maybe you should take a break for a week or 2 then come back to it?

I have a theory that your body will learn how to play snooker before your brain is convinced you can do it. That's why you smack in a long one and land plumb on the black, then miss it, or speed up and start playing much better for a few shots.

Comment

Mainly line up, but I had some routines like blacks off the spot. After probably 10 - 15 hours 5 in a row my best. Also, pinks off spot and stuff like pot pink and white follow.

Comment

I got a nice 12 off the blue yesterday. I know it’s 12, but it was all soft screw, got right side twice. I can control it well when it’s out in the open, but most of my games seem to be off cush, tricky reds from baulk.

I won two frames against a much better opponent. Lost 6-2, this was a 50 break player. Yet, he left me balls.

The guy I usually play just seems to fluke it, consistently, over the course of 3 years. Can’t be right, this must be psychological.

Comment

Lastly, when I’m playing well making breaks, I don’t even look at BOB, I just feel the angle and they go in. Then, I lose a bit of confindence, I do the same thing, they miss, them I get obsessive about BOB and cueing and it all falls apart. I’m just lost. But I don’t want to give up, I know I’ve got a 50 in me, I wonder if some hypnosis will help or something similar.

Comment

Mainly line up, but I had some routines like blacks off the spot. After probably 10 - 15 hours 5 in a row my best. Also, pinks off spot and stuff like pot pink and white follow.
              From what you say I think your expectations are too high. At the level you're playing there isn't much between playing poor or playing well. Sounds like you must have faults in your technique if after 15 hours you are only able to do 5 blacks in a row. Definitely look up a coach or maybe ask on here for any local players near you that might be willing to help. Or as said earlier post a video for guys to have a look at.
              Last edited by markz; 2 February 2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I have only one eye that properly works. I wonder if that limits me, but I’m not sure if that actually counts given players with glasses have won WC! My one good eye is solid. Great vision in my left eye. I will post vids and get a coach. Perhaps, if the forum can get me to a 50, this will be a victory for the forum. Who’s with me? :-)

Comment

I have only one eye that properly works. I wonder if that limits me, but I’m not sure if that actually counts given players with glasses have won WC! My one good eye is solid. Great vision in my left eye. I will post vids and get a coach. Perhaps, if the forum can get me to a 50, this will be a victory for the forum. Who’s with me? :-)
                  I'd imagine that's going to be a major disadvantage, it's hard enough to learn with two eyes and good eyesight. Try play for fun a bit more, might help you relax and beat your mate more often.

Comment

Most players are one eye dominant. So I figure it’s not a big deal. If you’re dominant one eye you’re basically using one eye. It won’t hold me back, I will frickjng get a 50! I’ve had 36 in practice with one eye. It’s going to happen.

Comment

Most players are one eye dominant. So I figure it’s not a big deal. If you’re dominant one eye you’re basically using one eye. It won’t hold me back, I will frickjng get a 50! I’ve had 36 in practice with one eye. It’s going to happen.
                      I did read on twitter and Facebook that a guy who is partially sighted made his first 147 recently in a game.

https://www.wdbs.info/neale-celebrates-147-break/
                      Last edited by markz; 2 February 2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

That's not true, you use both eyes

Comment

****, I should give up then!

To be fair I was never great at hand eye. I’m a great communicator and I’m a high end salesman for a big investment firm. I’m naturally competitive so I can’t give up the challenge of snooker, but perhaps I should just play shyt players and not try to compete seriously because only one eye works. I can beat anyone for effort, but if I spent my snooker time working I’d be about 60,000 better off! I just can’t give up the challenge
                          Last edited by Snookclops; 2 February 2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

****, I should give up then!
                            FFS mate relax and enjoy this wonderful game. Rule number one is appreciate that your never going to be world champion. Set yourself some realistic targets and try to achieve them. Try to be as good as you can with your God given talents.
                            I've been playing the game for over 50 years and have NEVER achieved a competitive 50. Doesn't stop me trying! Got the same problems as you with only one eye but never seen it as an hindrance.
                            Bit of coaching/encouragement, hours on the practice table will pay dividends eventually.

Comment

Can't offer any advice except to enjoy the challenge regardless of whether you improve or not and I think the great Joe Davis was blind in one eye and he did ok.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                                FFS mate relax and enjoy this wonderful game. Rule number one is appreciate that your never going to be world champion. Set yourself some realistic targets and try to achieve them. Try to be as good as you can with your God given talents.
                                I've been playing the game for over 50 years and have NEVER achieved a competitive 50. Doesn't stop me trying! Got the same problems as you with only one eye but never seen it as an hindrance.
                                Bit of coaching/encouragement, hours on the practice table will pay dividends eventually.
                                I don't think some beginners realise how hard it is to reach 50 break standard. I admire your honesty stating in 50 years you've never had one. I've heard all sorts of nonsense about high breaks, latest one was a guy struggling on line up but had a 134 ten years ago where all the balls were close to being in a line lol

Comment

Working...
                                X