The best way to keep the cue in the same plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to keep the cue in the same plane

I tend to rise my cue butt up during a long backswing which leads to subconscious head/body movement. This happens because sometimes I don't drop the elbow low enough on the backswing. No problems in releasing back fingers though.

Is there any good way you guys ensure your cue butt does not rise/drop during a long backswing?
    Last edited by Empower; 29 November 2018, 09:32 PM.

The best way to keep the cue in the same plane

open your fingers on the back swing leaving only the index and thumb in contact with the butt.
    I do this and it tends to keep my cue flat.
    Can you do a video?
    Hope the resident coaches pop on for you
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

DeanH, I already mentioned that the back fingers are relaxed, I was talking about a long 12 inch backswing before a powershot where elbow has to be dropped as well in order not to rise.

Also I read that you cannot just take the fingers away from the cue, you should just relax them to the point they release themselves while still in touch with cue, in order for you not to grab the cue with them during delivery.

After looking into mirror they indeed open up to let the cue go though but I still have to do a slight elbow drop. Just the way John Higgins and a lot of other pros do.
      Last edited by Empower; 29 November 2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Hello!

First of all, you're right, in that you should allow the back fingers to open up on the backswing.

Secondly, yes, you can drop the elbow and allow it to relax a bit on a full backswing shot. This is exactly what John Higgins does as you say.

The other thing to mention, is there is no need whatsoever to keep the cue on a perfectly flat plane during the backswing. If you watch any top professional, the cue will rise very slightly on the backswing. You don't want it coming up a ridiculous amount, but if it rises a bit, it won't have any impact on how you then hit the ball.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          If you watch any top professional, the cue will rise very slightly on the backswing. You don't want it coming up a ridiculous amount, but if it rises a bit, it won't have any impact on how you then hit the ball.
          Watch the cue bend when Trump, Selby and O'Sullivan do this.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I've noticed this before but didn't quite understand why it was bending or whether it was just a illusion from the camera.

I thought it happened due to the cue being pressured by the fleshy part between the thumb and first finger on the backswing to push it down slightly. Thoughts?

Comment

great advice! can tell you're level 2 WPBSA coach!

Comment

Working...
              X