Can anyone recognise this table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recognise this table

An old table in the Barnstaple Liberal Club where I play, no name on it, in poor condition but I play on it every sunday night as my practise partner hates the tight pockets of the match table. Sorry but couldn't take photo of legs as the room is lit by a single bulb and it's too dark beneath the table surface.

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Interesting, never seen another quite like this.

I wonder if it was a pocketless carom type table originally and had the pockets cut in later in its life? They look a bit chopped in.

100_Upper would probably know more.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Nobody at all ?
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I have not seen any with the wrap-round rails, also photos of the legs and knee board may help a bit
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'd be interested to see more photos of the frame of this table. This type of enclosed pocket, although common in Europe, is almost unheard of on English tables. Those models I've seen have a ball track returning to a single retrieval point, and I'd like to know if there is any evidence on the frame that one might have originally existed. That in itself would help to date it.

The English examples I've seen of enclosed pockets were all on special exhibition tables made by the top London makers, but this is certainly not one of those! If anything its rather crude and almost certainly made by a local provincial maker, of which there were plenty to choose from in the area, depending on the date it was made. Personally, I'd say it was early 20th century (1900-1940) but can't really add to that without more information.

Comment

Remembered to take my phone to the club tonight and took this pic of the legs

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Remembered to take my phone to the club tonight and took this pic of the legs

The frame looks like a Burroughes & Watts 'Jacobean' table (below) which they started to make from the early 1920s. The cushion rails look as though they have been replaced or modified at some point. You might like to check and see if they are steel block. Was the table installed during the war by any chance?

Comment

I'll try to find out but I doubt if anyone at the club will know, thanks for your interest, appreciated

Comment

Another unusual B & W. I am feeling envious as mine is the standard "rigidus".
                  王可

Comment

It has steel cushions on it so it would be a Burroughs an watts
                    you have to take the cushion wood surrounds off to change the leathers on these tables , a swine to do .
                    Last edited by Geoff Large; 18 July 2019, 08:03 PM.
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                      It has steel cushions on it so it would be a Burroughs an watts
                      you have to take the cushion wood surrounds off to change the leathers on these tables , a swine to do .
                      The leathers haven't been changed for ever it seems, pockets spit the balls out if you hit them hard, especially the middles, It's a shame this table has gone to seed as thirty years ago during the snooker boom a table fitter offered ten grand for it as he'd never seen another one but the club's committee turned it down, worthless now the state it's in.
                      No one at the club knows when the table was aquired, seems it's been there over fifty years or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X