• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    sorted
    ….
    Cheers Dean, all hunky dory now
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Vmax, do you have a website for selling cues?

Comment

• Originally Posted by RickRust View Post
        Vmax, do you have a website for selling cues?
        I'm afraid not, I list my cues on ebay as Vmax4steve (my original forum name), sell on the forum or locally. I don't make cues to order but will do alterations.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Xmas present to myself, no more sanding.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            Xmas present to myself, no more sanding.

Like that Vmax, I do like a scraper.

I'm after a bench polisher if you know where I can get one with multiple wheels etc.
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Shocks, how many benches do you need to polish?

:biggrin:
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                Like that Vmax, I do like a scraper.

I'm after a bench polisher if you know where I can get one with multiple wheels etc.
                I've been using hand scrapers so far but they cut more of the softer grain than the harder wood and as there's no bed to hold the blade level on every pass the shaft ends up slightly scalloped and needs sanding to level it. Mine is a Luban 112, a chinese maker of good reputation on woodworking forums and is half the price of a Lei Neilson 112 which is supposed to be the best. I looked at the Kunz 112 which is the cheapest but it had bad reviews so I went middle ground and I'm very pleased with the Luban, very well made.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/quang...per-plane.html

As for bench polishing then an ordinary bench grinder, guards removed and fitted with polishing mops will do the job, that's what I have.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  Shocks, how many benches do you need to polish?

:biggrin:
                  Took me a while to get that............I'm getting older!

Comment

I've been using hand scrapers so far but they cut more of the softer grain than the harder wood and as there's no bed to hold the blade level on every pass the shaft ends up slightly scalloped and needs sanding to level it. Mine is a Luban 112, a chinese maker of good reputation on woodworking forums and is half the price of a Lei Neilson 112 which is supposed to be the best. I looked at the Kunz 112 which is the cheapest but it had bad reviews so I went middle ground and I'm very pleased with the Luban, very well made.

As for bench polishing then an ordinary bench grinder, guards removed and fitted with polishing mops will do the job, that's what I have.
                    I saw a polisher set up on a bench grinder. It had an extended rod and multiple polishing wheels along the rod with gaps (around 4 or 5). When you ran the cue over it it did a big surface area at a time so looking to build or preferably buy something like that.

I love your scraper, very tempted to get one!

Comment

Could you not very filled some half round shapes into a scraper as I'm thinking about doing this myself, so less chance of flat spots..
                      For that one you've always wanted...
                      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                        Could you not very filled some half round shapes into a scraper as I'm thinking about doing this myself, so less chance of flat spots..
                        I'm sorry but I don't know what this means.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't know what this means.
                          Get a card scraper and file half round shapes on the edges to scrape the cue with, so you don't get flat spots.
                          Can draw something to show you if you want?

****, joys of being dyslexic and can seeing what I've written, instead of what is there lol

Comment

Get a card scraper and file half round shapes on the edges to scrape the cue with, so you don't get flat spots.
                            Can draw something to show you if you want?

****, joys of being dyslexic and can seeing what I've written, instead of what is there lol
                            Now that makes sense. I have a half round scraper, but you misunderstand, I'm not worried about flat spots; without a flat bed the blade will always cut more from the softer grain than the harder wood and leave a scalloped finish that will then need to be sanded, hence the need for a scaper plane. I'll still use a 300 grade and 0000 steel wool for the final finish but when planing really hard timber like ipe or ekki and the flaky wenge this will mean a lot less sanding from 1/0.5mm oversize for fear of tear out.
                            Scraper planes when properly set up do not tear out and they leave a finish equivalent to fine sanding, how fine I shall find out and maybe I won't need any 300 grade either.

Merry xmas to all on the forum. I am having a good one so far, sold my Honda X4 for £3000 last week, sold a cue today, things are looking up.

Comment

Now that makes sense. I have a half round scraper, but you misunderstand, I'm not worried about flat spots; without a flat bed the blade will always cut more from the softer grain than the harder wood and leave a scalloped finish that will then need to be sanded, hence the need for a scaper plane. I'll still use a 300 grade and 0000 steel wool for the final finish but when planing really hard timber like ipe or ekki and the flaky wenge this will mean a lot less sanding from 1/0.5mm oversize for fear of tear out.
                              Scraper planes when properly set up do not tear out and they leave a finish equivalent to fine sanding, how fine I shall find out and maybe I won't need any 300 grade either.

Merry xmas to all on the forum. I am having a good one so far, sold my Honda X4 for £3000 last week, sold a cue today, things are looking up.
                              Hi vmax,
                              Have the Stanley scraper..like a big spoke shave and understand how good they are.
                              Having been an Antique furniture restorer for over 30 year's but understand why you've got the plane now.
                              To get a finger finish with it, it helps to use the finished stone you have before you turn the edge.
                              I use a very fine ceramic stone when i want a really good finish and for to hear things are looking up.
                              Merry Christmas

Comment

Hi vmax,
                                Have the Stanley scraper..like a big spoke shave and understand how good they are.
                                Having been an Antique furniture restorer for over 30 year's but understand why you've got the plane now.
                                To get a finger finish with it, it helps to use the finished stone you have before you turn the edge.
                                I use a very fine ceramic stone when i want a really good finish and for to hear things are looking up.
                                Merry Christmas
                                I had a guy come in and sharpen all my planes up a little while ago who was showing me his method from years ago. He mentioned that he fine sharpens all his blades with a slate after using a grinding wheel etc and is better than stones etc (I have all the grades).

Because he had just moved he didn't have it with him but I wondered if any of you guys had ever sharpened using a slate; not one I had heard of before.

For those of you on Facebook, here's a couple of links to him doing things (you'll have to scroll through the pics / Videos on each as not sure how to post the direct post Facebook links here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/marc.lockle...type=3&theater

Cleaning the sandpaper on the machines: https://www.facebook.com/marc.lockle...type=3&theater
                                Last edited by Shockerz; 28 December 2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X