2018 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Let's not pretend when talking about GOAT that there are any more than 2 options
    Well, "greatness" is not really a measurable quality, especially for those players who have had an impact on the game that goes beyond just winning matches and tournaments. Some people have been saying O'Sullivan is the greatest ever even before he won his third World title or his 20th ranking title, simply because of the standard he produced and because of his entertaining style of play, even though it didn't really look like he would match Hendry's records at the time. The impact of players like Joe Davis or Alex Higgins also can't be measured purely in titles, so comparisons to O'Sullivan and Hendry are difficult to make. :smile:

Comment

• If O'Sillivan equals Hendry's 7 world titles, then without a doubt he would be (in my book) the greatest player to pick up a cue.

Comment

• So while he completely redefined Snooker, his inabilty to evolve with it led to his demise, and arguably why Murphy and the younger players (inc the Chinese) struggle. Obviously that means that I wouldn't rate his chances at Sheffield of beating two of Selby, ROS and Williams when he was bothered, and even Hawkins could have been tricky.

I think that's stretching the argument a little. Hawkins loves the Crucible but Hendry owned it.

Comment

• I didn't see the interview. Is this what he was suggesting, or is it just how you're reading it?[/QUOTE]

The interview was comparing Hendry's record with ROS's. Jimmy was being a touch sychophantic suggesting Ronnie's record was equal to Hendry's for the reasons given. I was surprised, because when Hendry retired Jimmy was very public and gracious with his praise- saying how much he had respected him and enjoyed their battles over the years. Seems to me that that's faded in the years since and he's become a bit of a ROS cheerleader like a few of the other pundits.

Could just be that putting a positive spin on his losses is how he has put those demons to bed.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
            Greatert of All Time
            Ah! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            The interview was comparing Hendry's record with ROS's. Jimmy was being a touch sychophantic suggesting Ronnie's record was equal to Hendry's for the reasons given. I was surprised, because when Hendry retired Jimmy was very public and gracious with his praise- saying how much he had respected him and enjoyed their battles over the years. Seems to me that that's faded in the years since and he's become a bit of a ROS cheerleader like a few of the other pundits.

Could just be that putting a positive spin on his losses is how he has put those demons to bed.
            Fair enough then. I'd still argue none of this was said as an excuse for his own failure to win the WC, which was the reason I questioned your original post.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
              If O'Sillivan equals Hendry's 7 world titles, then without a doubt he would be (in my book) the greatest player to pick up a cue.
              He won't do that but he is still the best player to pick up a cue.

Comment

If O'Sillivan equals Hendry's 7 world titles, then without a doubt he would be (in my book) the greatest player to pick up a cue.
                O-Sullivan doesn't have the mental stamina to go through 17 days at Shieffield now, but he's without doubt the greatest snooker player of all time, whilst Hendry is the most successful to date.
                John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                  O-Sullivan doesn't have the mental stamina to go through 17 days at Shieffield now, but he's without doubt the greatest snooker player of all time, whilst Hendry is the most successful to date.
                  Don't write him off just yet. He's reinvented himself, has the lust for the game with Steve Feeney and Steve Peters in his camp. Don't let him fool you saying he's not bothered, Ronnie is after 7 World titles.

Comment

Don't write him off just yet. He's reinvented himself, has the lust for the game with Steve Feeney and Steve Peters in his camp. Don't let him fool you saying he's not bothered, Ronnie is after 7 World titles.
                    Agree 100% but think he might have just missed the trick when he lost to Selby last time around.

On another hand if anyone can do it he can.

Comment

Working...
                    X