Mike Wooldridge Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    People just expect to be able to get your money back nowadays if the cue doesn't suit you, and to be fair that normally is the case
    Maybe just unlucky on this cue

Usually has nothing to do with luck . The problem of some snooker players is : they do'nt know what they want and what kind of cue ( ash ) fits in their game and cue action .
    I can show you three different cues with exactly the same specifications . but with three different game quality and properties. For example , if you are a player with a very soft and smooth cue action and you take a cue from ash with very wide grain patron , then you have a big problem . Because this ash does not fit to your cue action and you do'nt get good results with your game . That is why the cue you play very well with , may not be the right one for me . Because Mike W or Tony Glover or eny other cue maker , can'nt know how I am playing and what kind of cue action I have. He can not see you . So, if you give cue maker the wrong information , then you should not blame the cue maker later . Believe me , if you give someone like MW the right information about what you want or ask him advice , before you buy a cue , then you get juste the cue that suits on your game . This cue makers have enough experience to make exactly what you asking for .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Usually has nothing to do with luck . The problem of some snooker players is : they do'nt know what they want and what kind of cue ( ash ) fits in their game and cue action .
      I can show you three different cues with exactly the same specifications . but with three different game quality and properties. For example , if you are a player with a very soft and smooth cue action and you take a cue from ash with very wide grain patron , then you have a big problem . Because this ash does not fit to your cue action and you do'nt get good results with your game . That is why the cue you play very well with , may not be the right one for me . Because Mike W or Tony Glover or eny other cue maker , can'nt know how I am playing and what kind of cue action I have. He can not see you . So, if you give cue maker the wrong information , then you should not blame the cue maker later . Believe me , if you give someone like MW the right information about what you want or ask him advice , before you buy a cue , then you get juste the cue that suits on your game . This cue makers have enough experience to make exactly what you asking for .

That's a very good point there.

I am exchanging emails with Mike trying to resolve this. The reason I wrote this post is that I am disappointed with the cues and I felt there is nothing I can do about it. My intention was not to harm Mike or his reputation in any way, It's just what I feel about specifically the two cues I own. Probably expressing my feelings publicly wasn't the right thing to do but I didn't feel comfortable writing Mike about it after so long and I needed to express myself somehow. Actually my 'relations' with Mike were always very positive and friendly and I think his great in running his business so this is nothing personal. I'm more than happy to read that more than 99% are happy MW and this just proves how unfortunate I was.

Anyways, hopefully this story will have a happy ending somehow.

Comment

I'm not quite understanding the problem here, are you saying the cues are not well made ?? or just don't suit you ??

Comment

Nothing wrong with how the cues are made, actually the 3/4 cue is one of the more perfect cues I own in terms of finish!! It is the Legend I am more disappointed with but also here there is nothing wrong with how this cue was made... it is stunning in looks and was finished to perfection. It's just too light in 17oz and I guess that it's balance and stiffness don't fit my playing style. I mean there is no other way I can describe it really other than saying that it doesn't fit me. I have a TW and a JPU I'm also not happy with but these I still can enjoy playing somehow, with the Legend I'm just lost out there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Guy3103 View Post
            That's a very good point there.

I am exchanging emails with Mike trying to resolve this. The reason I wrote this post is that I am disappointed with the cues and I felt there is nothing I can do about it. My intention was not to harm Mike or his reputation in any way, It's just what I feel about specifically the two cues I own. Probably expressing my feelings publicly wasn't the right thing to do but I didn't feel comfortable writing Mike about it after so long and I needed to express myself somehow. Actually my 'relations' with Mike were always very positive and friendly and I think his great in running his business so this is nothing personal. I'm more than happy to read that more than 99% are happy MW and this just proves how unfortunate I was.

Anyways, hopefully this story will have a happy ending somehow.
            Wise decision. Mail Mike in private. I'm sure it solves your problems

Comment

Well that's all part of buying cues on-line, you never know how they will play.
              BUT if you spec the weight and balance point they should be similar to what you expect ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Well that's all part of buying cues on-line, you never know how they will play.
                BUT if you spec the weight and balance point they should be similar to what you expect ??
                That's the thing... At the time I ordered my Legend it was offered in one spec only, any changes to length, weight or diameter were to be charged. I had some doubts the spec wouldn't fit me but still made the mistake of leaving it as it is .

Comment

So you bought something that didn't suit you, knowing it probably wouldn't suit you (but not willing to spend money to make it suit you) - then moan about it not suiting you on a forum? Seriously? Is the cue maker supposed to use their ESP and send you a cue that's perfect for you? Or do you just learn your lesson, sell on, take a hit and learn to be a little bit more careful with your future purchases?
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    So you bought something that didn't suit you, knowing it probably wouldn't suit you (but not willing to spend money to make it suit you) - then moan about it not suiting you on a forum? Seriously? Is the cue maker supposed to use their ESP and send you a cue that's perfect for you? Or do you just learn your lesson, sell on, take a hit and learn to be a little bit more careful with your future purchases?
                    +1 to that

Comment

What’s wrong with a few swear words if he gets the message across ..I’m sure we all have from time to time ...rock on Mike

Comment

I saw this thread and I thought I would share my experience of dealing with Mike for over 10 years.
                        I bought my first legend (9.5 58" 18oz 30" 3/4) in 2007 with a delivery date of a couple of months. When that date had passed by a few weeks I emailed Mike to find out where it was.
                        I was disappointed to find out he had not started on it and I asked for a refund. Mike called me and explained and he said he would put a splice on for free. I had not known times were only a guide, being a nearby to custom cues buying.
                        The cue arrived sometime later with a lovely birds eye maple splice, very nice it was too. The cue was perfect and played really well and I was happy.

Later I got Mike to change the tip to a Blackspin which I loved better than the original brass one.

My second legend (9.8 57" 20oz 30 3/4) came to the USA with me in 2014 and I played pool here with it until I ordered my 3rd legend (11mm 58" 20oz 30 3/4) and I played pool with it with better results with the slightly larger tip size.

March 2018 I find out I'm coming back to England for two weeks in May and I email Mike to find out if I could take home my 4th cue (a two piece 11mm 58" 20oz 30) legend home with me.
                        Fast forward a couple of months and I'm in Mike's shop picking up my new cue. He has also managed to do some alterations to cue #2 as well within 10 days. Mike gives my wife and I a tour of his workshop and its full of part made cues resting and a lot of interesting machinery. He makes his own tips as well.

Mike makes all his cues personally from scratch with help in the final process with applying finish and polishing from a couple of assistants.

There are quite a few cues ready to go and there is a beautiful table to try them before you buy. He has some cheaper priced Chinese made cues from ADR147 for those who want a good quality cue for a lot less than a legend.

All the cues I have bought from Mike have played perfectly and they have only taken a couple of hours to get used to.
                        My 3/4 & two piece play just the same.

Mike has always been great to deal with and you won't have any problems with him unless to you are going to act like a dick.
                        If you are choosing a cue maker then you won't go wrong with a handmade MW cue

Comment

What is happening to my TSF ?

Looked this morning and noticed a post from Steve748 about Mike Wooldridge.

But when I click into the thread, the last message showing is from 2013

Where has Steve's post gone ? Is there a rip in the time - space continuum ? and will posting this, force it to re-appear ?

Comment

post to display thread

edit - billabong
                            this behaviour has been noticed before, usually it happens when an old thread is replied to.
                            The old thread appears to be from before TSF moved servers; and often the thread wont display the new post; my first step is to do a reply myself and this often corrects the display issue.
                            I hope you see this reply
                            Last edited by DeanH; 19 September 2018, 10:21 AM.
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I see this ( post #88 ) but the one before that is post #80.

I think it's because my work P.C. is stuck on I.E.11 maybe ?

Comment

I am on IE11 and now see all posts. … now
                                Maybe tomorrow

don't you have Chrome or Firefox?
                                worth a try
                                Last edited by DeanH; 19 September 2018, 11:46 AM.
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X