Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I stand, modern vs classic approach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tried this on my table but unfortunately I have to set up my mirrow on the baulkline so it's quite a stretch (mirror doesn't stand on its own). I lined up the baulkline as one continuous line in the mirror first. I had to use my extension to reach the mirror but it was good to see my cue was one straight line in the mirror as far as I could tell. I think I'll use this with my students and figure out a way to get the mirror more towards the brown spot.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      I just tried this on my table but unfortunately I have to set up my mirrow on the baulkline so it's quite a stretch (mirror doesn't stand on its own). I lined up the baulkline as one continuous line in the mirror first. I had to use my extension to reach the mirror but it was good to see my cue was one straight line in the mirror as far as I could tell. I think I'll use this with my students and figure out a way to get the mirror more towards the brown spot.
      hey Terry, good thing with this is a table isn't necessary. If you have a mirror somewhere in the house it works. I used the hallway mirror with a table height chair top? I guess that be be more difficult if I tried now... But a stool/ chair that you can cue on at the right height works. Table height obviously important as the Key is you can see if your cue is level. Reading stuff you write, I like the level cue thing and reckon it's difficult to get a better view in person visually than this? I hated this element of "none real striking" in golf but TBH in reality it helps. Let us know. Cheers.
      Last edited by Cue crafty; 21 September 2017, 10:22 PM.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        hey Terry, good thing with this is a table isn't necessary. If you have a mirror somewhere in the house it works. I used the hallway mirror with a table height chair top? I guess that be be more difficult if I tried now?.. Table height obviously important as the Key is you can see if your cue is level. Reading stuff you write, I like the level cue thing and reckon it's difficult to get a better view in person visually than this? Let us know. Cheers.
        None of my mirrors are at the right height but of course my table is. The cue is actually up a bit at the butt end (to clear the cushion) so it's not purely level but I get what you mean. I doubt I could look down a student's cue and tell if it's straight but this mirror thing is easy to see and you can also check the shoulder, hip, elbow and eye alignment at the same time. Very convenient.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by eihi View Post
          How did you determine which stance is best fitted for your vision? I remember as kid trying copy Joe's stance. I just recently read somewhere he had bad vision in his right eye, so his stance make much more sense to me now.

I started shooting left handed(pool, no snooker where I live ) because that put my my dominant right eye over the shaft , standing like Joe puts your left eye over the shaft if you are right handed.

From my own personal experience , if you put your foot on the line and focus on dropping your head straight down the rest will fall into place naturally.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            get down in your stance in front of a mirror place your tip on the mirror and adjust either your stance or your eyes till the cue is straight in the reflection and thats YOUR personal alignment
            That is quite an excellent tip, thanks golferson

Comment

None of my mirrors are at the right height but of course my table is. The cue is actually up a bit at the butt end (to clear the cushion) so it's not purely level but I get what you mean. I doubt I could look down a student's cue and tell if it's straight but this mirror thing is easy to see and you can also check the shoulder, hip, elbow and eye alignment at the same time. Very convenient.
              What about an ironing board and tall mirror?

I'm playing later today and will give this a try before going - if I can find the ironing board

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                The question of handedness and cueing position (under R or L eye or centre=chin) was asked some time ago and I got the following from observation:
                Right handed & Right eye = 4
                Right handed & Left eye = 11
                Right handed & Centred = 19

Left handed & Right eye = 5
                Left Handed & Left eye = none noted
                Left handed & Centred = 8

Right & Left eyed & Centred = 1 (ROS)

not the whole pro tour noted, but what you say above looks pretty true
                Thanks for saving me the time etc, but yep I am far from surprised, and certainly haven't noticed a leftie cueing under their left eye.

I'll try and keep an eye out for those that look to see if they can clip\pot balls with their other eye, like Selby.

Is there any explanation to ROS moving? I thought he was left eye with either hand, and doesn;t count as a leftie under left :wink:

Comment

You lot may have gathered that I am quite interested in this stuff

Terry, can you explain this bit please.
                  Most good players will cue under or nearer to their opposite eye but that's not for visual reasons but rather it makes the set-up better
                  I was under the impression that you get the right sight line, then the stance comes from that.

Comment

I cue under my left eye but until quite recently, had a square stance. I changed to a bit more of a boxer stance (although nowhere near the JD setup) and everything feels much more inline now.

I wish I'd been a little more experimental with it years ago so I can definitely vouch for playing around with it until you find something that works for you.

I've done this for different elements of the technique as well as the stance - grip, bridge arm, bridge arm shoulder, cue arm shoulder. I think Terry mentioned doing it with eyes closed too which helps massively.

The mirror idea is brilliant as well and trying to build everything around a cue that's online.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                      You lot may have gathered that I am quite interested in this stuff

Terry, can you explain this bit please.

I was under the impression that you get the right sight line, then the stance comes from that.
                      That could be however I believe it makes the set-up more compact. As an example Mark Allen is a lefty who cues under his left eye and even though he pots everything (to me) he still looks too loose. I could be wrong although when I was learning my right eye was my strongest eye but I still used my left eye for sighting. My right eye after surgery is now my weakest eye but it's still my dominant eye. I still cue more under my left eye but I do this by turning my head a bit to the right. Actually I've recently discover I play a little better with the cue on the left side of my chin a bit but I think this is because of a more compact set-up.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                        What about an ironing board and tall mirror?

I'm playing later today and will give this a try before going - if I can find the ironing board
                        I think it must be at the correct height for a snooker table which is I believe around 2ft10in otherwise the set-up would be wrong unless you intend to play as a stand-up player.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

I thought that the purpose was to find the right place\point between the eyes. The stance etc can be separate?

Comment

I have a cheap ironing board, but it moves up and down in .5 inch increments, I have to problem setting at the correct height, and using a tall mirror works good to see to some extent what you are doing. I played some tonight and afterwards I watched my stance and stroke when I got home using the mirror
                            Tonight I noticed I wasn't keeping my right foot in line with the cue ball and object ball(when shooting right handed), I tended to slide it out to the right.
                            Could I post a video of my cueing action on here or some pictures, or is that only something that I need to pay for?

Comment

Originally Posted by eihi View Post
                              I have a cheap ironing board, but it moves up and down in .5 inch increments, I have to problem setting at the correct height,
                              The rules give a range of an inch of height allowed for the rail so your ironing board 0.5in will be good
                              Your ironing board can be from 2ft 8in to 2ft 9in to match the playing surface
                              Forget about this and enjoy focusing on your reflection. :wink:
                              Last edited by DeanH; 23 September 2017, 08:12 AM.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                The rules give a range of an inch of height allowed for the rail so your ironing board 0.5in will be good
                                Your ironing board can be from 2ft 8in to 2ft 9in to match the playing surface
                                Forget about this and enjoy focusing on your reflection. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                                X