Terry's Videos Showing SIT or No SIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Jason...stop being obtuse as I know you fully understand this sh*t and are well able to do it.

You need the conditions that promote kicks to pot those ball which otherwise are impossible to pot unless you can generate some throw, like in the set-up I used. Your shot only requires a tad of running side under ANY conditions but there is a good chance you might overcook it with heavy condition and higher spin too.
    sorry tel im just trying to confirm what it is that is happening and your moving on the shot with this turn it in/sit thingy. and im still none the wiser with the chalk/bob/conditions stuff. any way of breaking it down? i know thats more your thing..

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      could do or just start another thread with a vid on a different side effect/subject.
      Can't read much as I'm at work. What I've skimmed read it looks like the goalposts have been moved again lol

Comment

Jason...stop being obtuse as I know you fully understand this sh*t and are well able to do it.

You need the conditions that promote kicks to pot those ball which otherwise are impossible to pot unless you can generate some throw, like in the set-up I used. Your shot only requires a tad of running side under ANY conditions but there is a good chance you might overcook it with heavy condition and higher spin too.
        maybe a players cue action and timing can minimize kicks as well as help a player to be more successful at turning in these kind of shots?

Comment

maybe a players cue action and timing can minimize kicks as well as help a player to be more successful at turning in these kind of shots?
          Only this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            Can't read much as I'm at work. What I've skimmed read it looks like the goalposts have been moved again lol
            can you still read all the posts?

Comment

can you still read all the posts?
              Yep I can Jason.
              Skim read most of it though lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                Play the shot I suggested only don't put the black on its spot just in case there's a dip there that lengthens contact time.
                Place the cue ball up against the black so it's touching and dead set for the far jaw, place a red touching both cue ball and black and then remove the cue ball and move the red over BOB to the far jaw by about 2mm, leave the red touching the black so that its impossible to contact BOB to the far jaw and set the cue ball up for a dead straight shot.

Now if SIT really happens then you should be able to still pot the black without contacting the red because the black will be thrown in the direction of the pocket by the spin on the cue ball.
                Now if you can't then SIT doesn't exist, never mind your black which is the same as jason's and which I have aleady done quite easily with the same soft sidespin swerve that both he and you played.
                Now cover BOB to the far jaw with a TOUCHING BALL WITH NO GAP and see how you get on, film it from dead straight on the line of aim from behind the pocket so we can see the angle of attack of the cue ball, your cue and your ugly mug.
                No need. Already potted a black not using BOB.
                Do you think I hit correct BOB??

Comment

• WOW what seems a million years ago i mentioned that pros called this a cheat shot

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                    Play the shot I suggested only don't put the black on its spot just in case there's a dip there that lengthens contact time.
                    Place the cue ball up against the black so it's touching and dead set for the far jaw, place a red touching both cue ball and black and then remove the cue ball and move the red over BOB to the far jaw by about 2mm, leave the red touching the black so that its impossible to contact BOB to the far jaw and set the cue ball up for a dead straight shot.

Now if SIT really happens then you should be able to still pot the black without contacting the red because the black will be thrown in the direction of the pocket by the spin on the cue ball.
                    Now if you can't then SIT doesn't exist, never mind your black which is the same as jason's and which I have aleady done quite easily with the same soft sidespin swerve that both he and you played.
                    Now cover BOB to the far jaw with a TOUCHING BALL WITH NO GAP and see how you get on, film it from dead straight on the line of aim from behind the pocket so we can see the angle of attack of the cue ball, your cue and your ugly mug.
                    Anyway I couldn't really care less if you don't believe it happens.

I use it every time I play for positional purposes.

The fact that you can pot unpottable balls with it is an added bonus.

This section of the forum is all about learning so I don't get where you and the coach are coming from on this tbh.

You just carry on living in your own little bubble, but I'm sure there are many players on here interested in this to improve their game.

Comment

OB throw is generated when conditions are good for kicks like high humidity combined with chalk dust. When I over-emphasized these conditions I got extreme OB throw and when I minimized them I got very little throw, not enough to be useful on a snooker table but maybe on a pool table with more forgiving pockets. When you watch those hi-speed videos of a pro playing a power screw shots you see a massive cloud of chalk dust which covers the cueball for an instant and the humidity causes the dust to stick.

I prefer to call this phenomenom the 'gear effect' as you do because that's exactly what's happening with the chalk dust acting like a little gear.
                      Happens all the time for me.

Summer, winter, hail, rain, sunshine. Doesn't make a jot of difference.

Chalk lol

Comment

Yes, but not with centre-ball striking as (in my opinion) you have to curl the CB into the potting point (I hate using BOB because BOB is actually a short line on the waist of the OB). So you couldn't play it with power but you can use a bit more than Travis and you used when you potted the ball.

If I feel it would be productive I will put up a video showing extreme gear effect so I can show the nay-sayers that I can actually use side.
                        BOB is dead

Comment

• but mikes still around to turn it in

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                            WOW what seems a million years ago i mentioned that pros called this a cheat shot
                            Indeed you did, and you were the only one to back me in my many attempts to get this place out of the dark ages. Seems we're turning a corner here - get a modern looking site, allow swearing and this place could become worth visiting.

Comment

you mean like this one? or am i wrong to turn it in? cus it simply okay to try potting a straight black 3/4 ball?

I took my calipers and stopped your video at 0.06 with the camera directly behind the black and measured on my screen> I got 20.2mm for a ball width and 2.5mm for the area of the black covered. I had thought it was too little to be 1/4-ball but it's almost exactly 1/8th ball but of course that doesn't matter. You must have a set of accurate digital calipers so put it up full screen and have a measure.

What this means is that for your shot you only have to have the cueball come in a at a slight angle to catch the potting point inside the far jaw. I also noted that looks like a fairly generous pocket but then again us older guys need that help. Maybe that was you getting 'cute'?

For those who thought your pot needed SIT to pot to the inside of the far jaw I don't believe it's necessary at all. So in one of my next videos I'm going to set up that 1/8th ball and slam the black in so there cannot be any SIT involved. This is the problem with different people looking at video shots because everyone perceives something different.

What do you think?
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I took my calipers and stopped your video at 0.06 with the camera directly behind the black and measured on my screen> I got 20.2mm for a ball width and 2.5mm for the area of the black covered. I had thought it was too little to be 1/4-ball but it's almost exactly 1/8th ball but of course that doesn't matter. You must have a set of accurate digital calipers so put it up full screen and have a measure.

What this means is that for your shot you only have to have the cueball come in a at a slight angle to catch the potting point inside the far jaw. I also noted that looks like a fairly generous pocket but then again us older guys need that help. Maybe that was you getting 'cute'?

For those who thought your pot needed SIT to pot to the inside of the far jaw I don't believe it's necessary at all. So in one of my next videos I'm going to set up that 1/8th ball and slam the black in so there cannot be any SIT involved. This is the problem with different people looking at video shots because everyone perceives something different.

What do you think?
                                tel you keeps putting in this appeal that the black goes, you can pot it, and its not 1/4 ball covered.. i thought you were into the sit thing a few posts back but that it was a chalk gear change on bob under certain conditions so, not quite sure whats going on now.

Comment

Working...
                                X