Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most likely reason you're cueing around your chest is because you are attempting to get more follow-through by both dropping the elbow and accelerating too fast caused by a short backswing. Lengthening the backswing is definitely the way to go for you and doing that will overcome the necessity of having sharp acceleration as soon as you start the delivery. You will find your long potting especially will benefit from this.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

In addition, (at least in the videos) your head is popping up as you start to deliver the cue and you get up very quickly even before you complete the stroke. Work on keeping your chin on the cue during the feathers, backswing and delivery keeping the chin on the cue at the end of the stroke and leaving the cue extended. Do this for 1-2 seconds. Murphy is a good example of this trait as is Ronnie.
      Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
        Ronnie's technique is unique to Ronnie and only works for him. Asking somebody to copy it is fraud with danger. You might as well advise him to watch a load of Alex Higgins videos
        fraud or fraught? so whose action should he copy? joe swail, graham miles,ect, and i am sure he would love to play like alex

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
          fraud or fraught? so whose action should he copy? joe swail, graham miles,ect, and i am sure he would love to play like alex
          I would give my left arm to be able to play like Alex or for that matter like Joe or Graham. But doesn't that just prove my point? Everybody has got to find their own style. The elbow drop clearly doesn't work in Jonathan's case hence the steering of the cue to the left. Terry called it better by saying the grip should come to the chest instead of saying it should hit the chest. And you're right of course. It's fraught and not fraud��

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            He shouldn't copy any one player for anything but rather do what all the pros do in common, like staying still on the shot, accelerating through the cueball and four or five other things.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

loosen your grip and focus on accurate striking of the cue ball, what happens after that is irrelevant.

Comment

I do love this forum.

A 30/40 break lad posts a video looking for help and it's all about whether or not his elbow is dropping, following through too far or there's a subtle error in his grip.

OP, you can't really see a pattern in your videos as it's poor quality and only 4 isolated shots. Set a camera up and just film yourself knocking balls about, unedited for 10 minutes or so... Folks like Terry will pick up on obvious errors and you can correct them but most people on here will regurgitate something they've read on here, can't do and will never fully understand.

Tedisbill had it bang on from the start and then it descended a touch.

You look very tense and it's as if you're trying to saw your thumb off... Slow down a touch and relax. Slow backswing, deliver the cue cleanly.

A better video will help to get better advice.

Comment

pottr:

I thought you had retired from snooker to relax a bit. You're right about the OP though but controlling his need to 'pop up' will help and everyone can use a slower backswing, even me.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

Any slower and we might stop entirely

Comment

Same problem

Hi Terry this is my first time on this forum i have same problem. I don't know why i can't post new thread. Can i contact you through email, facebook or whatsapp?

Comment

I have recorded few videos from front and back.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          I do love this forum.

A 30/40 break lad posts a video looking for help and it's all about whether or not his elbow is dropping, following through too far or there's a subtle error in his grip.

OP, you can't really see a pattern in your videos as it's poor quality and only 4 isolated shots. Set a camera up and just film yourself knocking balls about, unedited for 10 minutes or so... Folks like Terry will pick up on obvious errors and you can correct them but most people on here will regurgitate something they've read on here, can't do and will never fully understand.

You look very tense and it's as if you're trying to saw your thumb off... Slow down a touch and relax. Slow backswing, deliver the cue cleanly.

Yep. totally agree (for min chars)

Comment

Originally Posted by motasimalibhatti View Post
                            Hi Terry this is my first time on this forum i have same problem. I don't know why i can't post new thread. Can i contact you through email, facebook or whatsapp?
                            You cannot post because you have less than 10 posts and none of the extras will work for you until you do. So respond to a few of the strings on here and then post up a link to your videos. Make sure they are public and everyone on here will likely take a look and comment.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

should be able to start a new thread from zero posts (AFAIK)

motasimalibhatti - are you using pc or app version?

on PC go to the Coaching Questions sub-forum; then on the left just under the heading-pane and adverts you should see a light orange button "+ Post New Thread"
                              Last edited by DeanH; 12 June 2018, 01:18 PM.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Happy viewing...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDM8pXZ3b4

I am sure in another vid that he talks about the cue going round the body (to the left for right handers and ice versa) so a vid showing if the path is clear may help; and your raising head may be part of it (from vid 1) ie creating space for hand\forearm...

Comment

Working...
                                X