No announcement yet.

ADR147 Cues from Thialand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell just from the photo that was not a cheap cue!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

You can have 100% straight cues that wobble when you roll them on the table and have bent cues that roll straight.
      This means nothing. Only way to tell if the cue is straight is by looking down the cue.
      I believe a cue should not wobble on a flat surface as long as you are rolling only the 80% of the cue, the shaft end...that is the last 6 inch of butt is not rolled on the surface.

Comment

Originally Posted by mike1234 View Post

I believe a cue should not wobble on a flat surface as long as you are rolling only the 80% of the cue, the shaft end...that is the last 6 inch of butt is not rolled on the surface.
        A cue is not a perfect cone so the only way to check is by eye, if you rotate a cue inwards from your dominant eye and it is bent you will see waves coming to wards you, but even then being perfectly straight is actually not that important!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post

A cue is not a perfect cone so the only way to check is by eye, if you rotate a cue inwards from your dominant eye and it is bent you will see waves coming to wards you, but even then being perfectly straight is actually not that important!
          I think another point worth mentioning is that not all cues have a perfectly uniform taper throughout the length of the cue.

Some cue makers have more than one taper in the cue so the butt is thicker up to the shoulder of the cue and then tapers as it gets to the ash, some are machined on a sanding roller and go for the perfectly straight theory and some keep a thicker shaft and taper down either gradually or drastically as it gets to a smaller tip e.g. 8.5 to 9mm.

It depends on the cue maker or sometimes on the request of the player and their personal requirements.

Some of these certainly won't roll how you would think they should and unless the slate is perfect (which many aren't) you would think a perfectly good cue is unsatisfactory.

It's always a great debate though, especially the "Roll it on a table to see if the cue is straight," I can think of a few bellies on our table and I'm sure many other clubs are the same.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

I think another point worth mentioning is that not all cues have a perfectly uniform taper throughout the length of the cue.

Some cue makers have more than one taper in the cue so the butt is thicker up to the shoulder of the cue and then tapers as it gets to the ash, some are machined on a sanding roller and go for the perfectly straight theory and some keep a thicker shaft and taper down either gradually or drastically as it gets to a smaller tip e.g. 8.5 to 9mm.

It depends on the cue maker or sometimes on the request of the player and their personal requirements.

Some of these certainly won't roll how you would think they should and unless the slate is perfect (which many aren't) you would think a perfectly good cue is unsatisfactory.

It's always a great debate though, especially the "Roll it on a table to see if the cue is straight," I can think of a few bellies on our table and I'm sure many other clubs are the same.
            the most famous cue maker of them all tends to have a different taper over the last 12 inches or so, that is thinner and straighter, which can reduce the throw of the cue in theory and in practise, but is not always a good idea.

Comment

Famous cue maker who would that be JP

Comment

Most American Pool cue shafts have what they call a 'pro' taper which is the same kind of thing. I think that's as much about using a closed bridge as trying to reduce deflection, although Predator say their pro taper helps reduce throw by reducing the end mass of the cue

Comment

Working...
                X