Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    ^^^^^

This post got me thinking , last week i had the same problem with long balls . So it's now in my head that the tip grips too much .

Played last night and halfway through playing i revert back to my old cueing style of holding the cue nearer the butt , i had been experimenting holding
    the cue higher up the butt .
    Anyway , didn't play too well , but i did knock in some fantastic long pots .......which is unusual for me !

So thanks goodness its not the tip ......couldn't through another tip experiment exercise again .
    Switched back to Phoenix black and the difference was night and day. Even though the first one I put on crumbled to pieces after 15 minutes, which is the reason I tried the elk in the first place. I guess I will just have to buy in bulk, but a 4 quid each I would rather not!

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
      Is the chalk a similar darker colour like the Spruce Masters ?
      If so I had the same problem with the Spruce Masters, marked the cue ball heavily.
      Probably harder than the spruce chalk so doesn't stick as much but still sticks too much to play snooker, the only time it was better was when I polished the balls. Think the more you handle them the build up of grease from hands makes the chalk stick terrible. The only chalk worse for staying on cue ball is Kamui. Both probably more suitable for pool as shorter games and clean cue ball after every rack.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Booters View Post
        Switched back to Phoenix black and the difference was night and day. Even though the first one I put on crumbled to pieces after 15 minutes, which is the reason I tried the elk in the first place. I guess I will just have to buy in bulk, but a 4 quid each I would rather not!
        Have you tried the adr tips mate? They are in between a good played in elk and the Phoenix black. I liked the Phoenix but just a little hard, the adr gives you the hardness still but with a little more feel plus if you leave it higher it lasts twice as long as the Phoenix.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
          Probably harder than the spruce chalk so doesn't stick as much but still sticks too much to play snooker, the only time it was better was when I polished the balls. Think the more you handle them the build up of grease from hands makes the chalk stick terrible. The only chalk worse for staying on cue ball is Kamui. Both probably more suitable for pool as shorter games and clean cue ball after every rack.
          Yeah, ended up giving the Spruce away.

Comment

Have you tried the adr tips mate? They are in between a good played in elk and the Phoenix black. I liked the Phoenix but just a little hard, the adr gives you the hardness still but with a little more feel plus if you leave it higher it lasts twice as long as the Phoenix.
            I did order an ADR, I have a league match tomorrow though so that's why I went back to Phoenix, il try it when I have a week or so free, only heard good things about them though, it's a big ol tip aswell so will probably last me a while

Comment

• Originally Posted by Booters View Post
              3 hours with it tonight, 3 of the most frustrating hours I have ever played, couldn't pot a long ball or any kind of thin cut, I do have better grip with this tip but I'm thinking the increase in grip is exaggerating any unintentional side, I do use a small tip any way which doesn't help, I know it's my cueing and not the tip but I'm not keen on it after tonight, I will give it one more session, if I get a repeat of tonight, it's coming off
              That would be my nickname, for pool it would be Andrew 'drybreak' Ramsay and for snooker Andrew 'I will give it one more session, if I get a repeat of tonight, it's in the bin' Ramsay!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Which one of ADR tips plays like that Markz, as in soft medium or hard, sounds right up my street.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Which one of ADR tips plays like that Markz, as in soft medium or hard, sounds right up my street.
                  I've used the medium since adr released them except for the times I've decided to test something new but I always return to the adr medium tip. I'd prefer to stick to the basic elk but hard to find a good one and still takes a while to knock in. These tips play great from the off.

Comment

• Cheers Markz, I'm definitely going to try one.

Comment

• Tried the hard Ronnie elk - great tip - felt perfect from the off the medium was inconsistent had one good one one crumbly and felt too soft - the soft one must be like jelly?

The chalk is terrible horrid stuff master chalk for me.

Comment

• Someone left a block of master chalk on the table I went on so thought I would give it a go, ended up just leaving it on the tray when I handed the balls in, didn't rate it at all.

Comment

• Well it's finer and does make a bit of a dusty mess on the table but you can see it to clean the table would not use it if I had my own table but you don't get any residue on the cue ball like you do with the kamui chalk for example I like it but one mans perfume is another mans -

The kamui feels miles better to use on yer cue it pastes on - but also sticks all over the cue ball - so sad stuff really and I can't stand the new pro chalk stuff.

No doubt someone out there likes it

Comment

• Yeh to be fair Byrom, it would be my second choice after normal triangle green stuff, I found it a bit gritty, maybe it was a fake one? But I do agree it doesn't mark the cue ball, ( I stopped using spruce chalk because of that problem)it does mark the table but you get chalk streaks with triangle chalk when playing screw shots, so that didn't bother me, maybe gritty is the wrong term, I think powdery might be better.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Well it's finer and does make a bit of a dusty mess on the table but you can see it to clean the table would not use it if I had my own table but you don't get any residue on the cue ball like you do with the kamui chalk for example I like it but one mans perfume is another mans -

The kamui feels miles better to use on yer cue it pastes on - but also sticks all over the cue ball - so sad stuff really and I can't stand the new pro chalk stuff.

No doubt someone out there likes it
                              I'm glad someone else thought the same .

Don't rate it at all .......few Pro's down the club use it . I will be giving my box to them . Shocking stuff .
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Can't get on with Master either, horrible stuff. I like the pro chalk but it marks the white ball badly and do get more kicks. I don't chalk excessively, just a light swipe every few shots. My 1gs on number 10 cloth kick way too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X