No announcement yet.

The perfect break off shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember watching Selby playing in a match (I think against Ronnie) and I noticed his break-off shot almost always landed in the same spot on or near the baulk cushion but behind the yellow as he breaks to the other side (green side) of the pack with lots of left-hand side. During this match at least he was very consistent and never left a pot on for Ronnie.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Surely the perfect break off shot would snooker your opponent on all 15 reds? Given the standard of long potting now I can't believe pro's haven't worked harder on their break off shots, as we still see some very average ones appear quite consistently.
      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

But then your opponent would just try to land on the pack, then you would have to play off resulting in a largely negative exchange....

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
          Surely the perfect break off shot would snooker your opponent on all 15 reds? Given the standard of long potting now I can't believe pro's haven't worked harder on their break off shots, as we still see some very average ones appear quite consistently.
          Yes that's strange actually. I always spend 10 minutes per session just breaking off since it is a shot that you will always face in the exact same way. It's all about making it automatic I think.
          #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

The perfect break off shot is not just about the initial shot it is the situation you leave your opponent in for the next shot and the position he in-turn leaves you in for your next shot so by going on that principle it was pretty bloody good.

From break off leave your opponent so he can get his hand on the table (Totally opposite to the traditional leave him on the cousin) this gives him more confidence in his shot but leave as most difficult shot as possible and chances are they will miss is they go for the pot or play a bad safety just like what Murphy done and left Stuart for a easier long pot to the green pocket which I am sure he would of potted if given 10 more chances on the same pot.

Comment

don't go in-off
              anything but the blue
              don't go in-off again
              and stop at baulk cushion
              or keep rolling behind the baulk colours

haha.... that's what i hope to get

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                The perfect break off shot is not just about the initial shot it is the situation you leave your opponent in for the next shot and the position he in-turn leaves you in for your next shot so by going on that principle it was pretty bloody good.

From break off leave your opponent so he can get his hand on the table (Totally opposite to the traditional leave him on the cousin) this gives him more confidence in his shot but leave as most difficult shot as possible and chances are they will miss is they go for the pot or play a bad safety just like what Murphy done and left Stuart for a easier long pot to the green pocket which I am sure he would of potted if given 10 more chances on the same pot.
                Not sure what you mean , Ferret !!! I mean which one ?? The CB on the cousin OR the CB end up behind one of the color's , would be the perfect break off shot ?
                What you re saying is Leave a difficult long pot for your opponent ( CB on cousin ) is better than snooker your opponet ( with CB behind one of the 3 color's ) ??
                Could you explain this Please !! ( if u have time , of crs ).

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                  I would of said up 1 right 3 going by Nic Barrow's Training Ball but Nic thinks it may have even been right 4

I know where you are coming from but this is the old school way!!!

It is hard to explain without showing you the statistics but basically the spot where Stuart left the cue ball is pretty much dead centre to the what I have dubbed the safe spot, this is where spare ball 11 which is the far left ball second row up separates from the pack when struck from the break off hits the side cousin and heads back towards the pack and from where the cue ball had ended up the percentage of the spare being potted is so low that it is a shot to nothing so a containing safety is needed by the opponent, in this case Shaun does not play back to bulk and in doing so leaves a pot on to the green pocket.

If it was not such a tense match I am sure Stuart would of potted that long red and made a healthy break all from getting a good break off shot.
                  But otherwise if it wasn´t so tense, Murphy would have made a good safety leaving a shot from baulk. I think it´s relatively easy to play safe from that position at least for players of that standard, so is it so perfect ?
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                  X