Rhodes wins English Amateur Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhodes wins English Amateur Championship

FORMER snooker professional Michael Rhodes has won the English Amateur Championship 21 years after finishing runner-up.

The County Durham-based cueman compiled a top break of 93 in a 10-6 victory over Billy Castle in the final at Longton Snooker Club, Stoke.

Rhodes, who is also ranked fifth on the GB9 pool tour, was the 1994 losing finalist in the prestigious competition that dates back to 1916.

The 37-year-old had beaten another ex-pro, Paul Davison, from Yorkshire, 8-7 in the northern final the day before.

Southampton’s former Town Champion Castle put in a remarkable performance to win the southern final.

The 22-year-old new dad from Marchwood, who is now living in Reading, whitewashed Grant Miles (Norwich) with an astonishing scoreline of 8-0.

He said it’s “amazing” to have his name alongside Ronnie O’Sullivan’s on the trophy and added: “It was a good day. I was playing well. It was unbelievable to win in that fashion.

“I would like to thank everyone for their kind messages. My phone has not stopped.”

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X