Sussex Coach Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sussex Coach Recommendation

Contacted Frank Sandell last week following a rather petulant moment with my Parris cue making it an unintentional three piece.

What a great Guy , his enthusiasm for snooker and billiards is infectious. Took a look at my cue which not only was in 3 pieces and had a really impressive dent in the shaft and assured me this was no problem and gave me a more than fair quote to affect a repair.

Today only a few days later I was informed that my cue was ready for collection, and arranged to collect and have an hours lesson at the same time.

The cue, simply, wow. You would not know unless you where told to really look for a sign of my moment of stupidity that anything untoward had occurred. I also took along a recently purchased ADR147 tip to be fitted before my lesson, that combined with the fresh oiling my cue had received felt like my trusty stick had a full service.

Anyway into 'the potting shed' and I had told Frank nothing of the issues i was currently having just that i was struggling to get anywhere near my best break of 83.

after a few minutes of freely potting balls, Frank observed something and I learnt 'the drill'. I can not express how impressed i was when he identified the exact issue i was having and showed me a few drills to fix my timing and deceleration.

After just the hour i have left with the knowledge to fix my game and the confidence and ability to play shots much better.

All things considered and i wouldn't recommend braking your cue, but maybe the best thing i have done for my game.

Cheers Frank

I would be interested in you explaining the 'drill' and I think a lot of other players on here would be as well
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      I would be interested in you explaining the 'drill' and I think a lot of other players on here would be as well

Hi Terry A short version of Frank Callan's
      The Drill.
      1. Before getting down to play a shot, look at the situation on the table and decide what is the best shot to play.

2. Then comes the 98%. Look at the pocket and decide the spot on the object ball that must be hit and address the cue ball where you intend to hit it.

3. You should now be 95% certain of potting the ball. You have made up your mind whether to play with spin or plain ball, and how hard you are going to hit the shot, which takes care of the second part of the shot - positioning.

4. Address the cue ball for the final time and take a final look at the cue ball................Get your eyes back on the object ball before coming through with the cue. This is what I (FC) call the 5%. Without observing the last 5% of the drill, you will not be giving the shot 100% effort. Each shot, in my (FC) opinion, consists of the thrust forward of the cue from the pause at the end of the last backswing to the completion of the follow through. Everything else is preparation. (end quote)

What do you think of his version of the drill? and is it what you would advocate? This is a very watered down version of what Frank wrote but the main detail has been picked out

Tom

Comment

Frank Callan who I knew well but have not spoken to for some years was coach to the Matchroom organisation and held if great store by none other than Steve Davis. He coached at the old Commonwealth Club in Blackpool and also in Preston area. His book written with John Dee is one of the best guides ever and I always recommend it when people enquire. I do not discuss my coaching methods on here. They are mine to love or hate depending on the satisfaction of my clientele both adult and in excess of 2000 registered young people over thirty years in my coaching schools. Frank analysed and in many respects sophisticated the methodology described in Joe Davis,s " How I Play Snooker". My methods I believe are perhaps in practical terms more explicit in the current era.

Comment

Working...
        X