Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutcracker: Why I can't trust my own technique

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in some time but have been playing down at the club almost daily. The tendinitis is still there but is getting better with some massage etc so I am not really worried about it as its improving over time. slowly. My left foot still hurts a bit but is getting better too I think.

As for my snooker well I have been in a great great form and have been playing up to my standard and level and I can say that because I know so and the best thing is that it has been the case for a good consistent one week or so. This made me realise that the new cue is ok for me and I can do good with it. Regular 30 odd breaks between frames and an occasional 40 with a chance of 50 but no 50s yet. I miss on and off but over all my game is pretty consistent with inch perfect positioning and missing due to anxiety once in 40s is an old problem for me now

However, recently my form got a bit bad as I could not pot well given that I went to play after office and a lecture of 3 hours so I though ok I am tired and not fresh. Then it continued the next day, and the next, and I sort of AGAIN started to have doubts about the darned GIRP... Hence even after trying hard to control my mind not to think over it during the match, yet again its something I just can't stop or train my brain not to do that easily. This is what happens:

I stand behind the shot, try to visualise the shot and then fix my nose on the line of the pot and then go down slowly keeping my head / nose fixed on the line stay there for a moment do my feathers, nice loose grip good front pause good back pause strike .. I miss it. Well it happens to everyone but for me when I am rising up I immediately have the following in mind:

- I didn't touch the back of palm on the cue at address.
    - Forefinger and Thumb were rather tight on the cue.
    - I didn't release the back three fingers properly or maybe clutched upon reclining them.

And there I go... then I have to have that proper grip FEEL in shots and I don't get it and I keep searching for it on EVERY yes literally EVERY shot and its not there and I keep missing keep getting worse pressure mounting ... in the end .. I start missing almost EVERY shot by miles.... !

I need some discipline in terms of forming my grip and then TRUSTING it even when I miss so I don't change or alter it and keep trusting that its the right thing the right grip the right hold and not to think about it.. This game can be so bloody frustrating at times.

Regards,
    Sidd.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Hi Sidd, sorry to hear you're having problems. Are you using the ring grip? If so, you hold the cue up with just the thumb and forefinger holding the cue at the butt end around your usual gripping point, let it slide down a few mm, then tighten the grip a tiny bit to stop it, that's the exact pressure needed - Ray Reardon's tip there. Look at the gap between the top of the forefinger and the heel of the thumb. Make a mental note of this gap, you want the same gap on most shots. If you want to take this to an extreme, you can sit at home holding the cue with the correct gap while you watch TV or summat so you subconsciously get used to the gap being. The Mrs may think it rather strange though! lol

You said -

"- I didn't touch the back of palm on the cue at address."

What does this mean please? Cheers.
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 20 May 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

How can you play with all that going on in your head Sid?

Comment

Sidd:

My thoughts are you should just keep the grip relaxed but firm and keep practicing WITHOUT thinking about it all the time. If you can get some solo practice then just start with the easy shots, like brown or pink off the spot and gradually increase the power until you get to maximum power.

The back of the palm at address is really only a memory trigger which tells you that you have returned to the exact address position during the dynamic delivery which is what your target should be. It is not vital to do this but I have found it helps my students (and myself) to drive through the cueball consistently and with accuracy.

Another way to achieve this is to use the second finger for awhile to get used to the drive as that should help keep the grip loose.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
        X