Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't the Trump technique and Set-up now the Textbook Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol .....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      Byrom - tries changing set up as he plays diary.

Day 1.

I Try Mark Williams set up - Wake up at half past one, forget to shave stick joggers on shortly before wife throws me out house - climb into car goes to snooker club using Judd Trump setup - get out car turn off gangster rap music walks to the club in my dodgy spikes - go to bar with friends using Stephen Hendry set up - avoid buying anyone a round, go to snooker table turn into Neil Robertson pot a long ball walks around table five miles pot another go toilet 5 times - turns into Mark Allen nips to KFC and Mcdonalds on way back to table - use Sean Murphy Set up have a laugh argue with myself walk around the table own it own it strike a pose - miss a few, walk off using the Mathew Selt set up making a few quid I start selling a few dodgy video recorders and fake fags imported from India to the crowd before a quick look at my fake Rolex starts me contemplating getting my golf clubs out - but then I turn using the Marco Fu setup and now I don't give out a single sign of weakness or emotion as I sit down and wait for my next turn - occasionally doing a Michael Holt I jump up thump someone pot a few better than anyone on the planet before my head totally goes 30 seconds later but realise the other guy is still at the table so turn into Peter Ebdon and patiently sit down and meditate waiting for your shot influencing and healing everyone around me whilst researching acupuncture, Ti chi, levitation and drinking my own pee to help my game improve at the age of 80 - suddenly the other guy misses and leaves me in the balls but I am to weak with a lack of meat to get up and play so I just switch set up and turn into Ronnie I jump up and start clearing up but its not clicked, something not right its not going well something's wrong so I find random excuses whilst bumping into the ref moaning about my shoes the camera man the guy in the third row back from the left in a yellow shirt. I need to slow my game up play safe so turn to using Rod Lawlor set up -

Let you know how game finishes up in another week or so.
      Excellent post

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        That's great to hear mate, someone who is actually trying something similar to JT not just mocking him or arguing about silly points about what he does. Did you try this set-up with your right foot on the shot line, not pointing out? I found that this aligns the body and head better leading to more accuracy and a small increase in cue power. Let me know mate. Cheers.
        i haven't specifically tried to copy Judd, but this is how i set up, its developed through trial and error. i've been using it for at least 5-6 months now.

i have my right heel on the line of the shot with my foot slightly pointing right

Comment

• I have actually got my wrong foot more or less on the line of aim like i used to do years ago, even though it's wrong it feels really solid and amongst the balls i feel like i can't miss(which is ridicolous of course)

I play left handed but my right eye is my strongest so I'm guessing I'm lining the shot up and this is how i end up.

Any opinion or advice would be appreciated thanks
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
            I have actually got my wrong foot more or less on the line of aim like i used to do years ago, even though it's wrong it feels really solid and amongst the balls i feel like i can't miss(which is ridicolous of course)

I play left handed but my right eye is my strongest so I'm guessing I'm lining the shot up and this is how i end up.

hope you do'nt mind me saying this cus I'm not a coach !!! But I realy think the best stance is The one you are comfortbl with !! As long as you feel relax and no pressure in ur body .
            Not saying you do'nt have to try something else, though !! you can always give it a try !!
            Most of the players miss the shot Or do'nt get the good position cus of 2 things : 1- They do'nt keep thr eyes on the OB at the time of striking - 2 - bad cueing ( They do'nt let the cue do the work ).
            Not cus of thr stance !!!
            Anyway ,,, I'm gonna give this JT stance a try to see what MB talking about !!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              hope you do'nt mind me saying this cus I'm not a coach !!! But I realy think the best stance is The one you are comfortbl with !! As long as you feel relax and no pressure in ur body .
              Not saying you do'nt have to try something else, though !! you can always give it a try !!
              Most of the players miss the shot Or do'nt get the good position cus of 2 things : 1- They do'nt keep thr eyes on the OB at the time of striking - 2 - bad cueing ( They do'nt let the cue do the work ).
              Not cus of thr stance !!
              Anyway ,,, I'm gonna give this JT stance a try to see what MB talking about !!

Not at all mate,thanks for the response
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                I have actually got my wrong foot more or less on the line of aim like i used to do years ago, even though it's wrong it feels really solid and amongst the balls i feel like i can't miss(which is ridicolous of course)

Evening. Yeah, JT plays with his right eye as well which is fine, much easier than being left hand, left foot, left eye. I'm R R R and the cue it outside my body a tad. I'd prefer to be left eyed, so I brought the cue across an inch or so to be under my left eye and then it would be closer to my right hip as well. But hey, if you're gonna play with one eye, it should always be the dominant eye, so say the coaches. So if your dominant eye is the right eye, that's the one to play the shot with. And you've got the same as JT, bonus!

Out of doubt for JT and for comparison, I tried foot in line square for a while (my old stance) and even R and L foot pointing out, so both feet made a perpendicular line to the shot. Accuracy dropped on tough shots, those down the rail screw backs just off the cushion, power dropped a tad and it didn't feel comfortable. So Ramon, I take your point on board and right now JT feels the most comfortable so I'll have to keep trying it. I'm with Alabadi on this one. I've played for donkeys years with foot in line square but it's never felt completely natural, effective yes but painful over long sessions. Glad to hear people are trying things. If they don't work, bin them. If they do work, that's great, keep 'em.
                Last edited by Master Blaster; 22 May 2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Evening. Yeah, JT plays with his right eye as well which is fine, much easier than being left hand, left foot, left eye. I'm R R R and the cue it outside my body a tad. I'd prefer to be left eyed, so I brought the cue across an inch or so to be under my left eye and then it would be closer to my right hip as well. But hey, if you're gonna play with one eye, it should always be the dominant eye, so say the coaches. So if your dominant eye is the right eye, that's the one to play the shot with. And you've got the same as JT, bonus!

Out of doubt for JT and for comparison, I tried foot in line square for a while (my old stance) and even R and L foot pointing out, so both feet made a perpendicular line to the shot. Accuracy dropped on tough shots, those down the rail screw backs just off the cushion, power dropped a tad and it didn't feel comfortable. So Ramon, I take your point on board and right now JT feels the most comfortable so I'll have to keep trying it. I'm with Alabadi on this one. I've played for donkeys years with foot in line square but it's never felt completely natural, effective yes but painful over long sessions. Glad to hear people are trying things. If they don't work, bin them. If they do work, that's great, keep 'em.
                  I must admit my foot is also not on line on point of contact never has been its something I've never done or adjusted as I've not needed to, to me my stance is the correct one as it favours me although far from textbook either, you could say I have the penguin stance.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    Let me add something - his mates went off to University and he decided to devote all his time and effort to snooker - I don't know what they do but he is a millionaire snooker player he drives a few nice motors has a nice pad in London - sponsors and all manner of people all eager to suck up to him - he gets lush with the ladies likes his gangster rap music he is a pretty cool and have to say a nice guy - good sense of humour - and so what if he lives a bit of the hi - life in his 20's who can blame him?

and so --- I would say he has made a few right choices and - apart from the shoes the music and the fashion sense - I cant speak for What Judd's old school mates are doing now but - so far in his life he has been clever enough with his choices - would you not say?
                    Well said, I think you have to be a "bright lad" to be in the top 16.....thousands of players have amazing talent in the game but the top 16 players must have something that the others dont no?

Comment

VMax, just look at the video, go interpret it as you wish and try the Trump set-up. I can't be bothered with ad infinitum disagreements, it ain't contract court. When you've tried the set-up, it will be all about you and Judd (not me).
                      This is already my set up, the classic boxer stance for a right hander that favours my left eye, mirror of Trump. There is nothing new about it, no secret to it, nothing really special about it at all and it simply suits the way I sight the shot, which is primarily with my left eye.

The only thing different about Trump's technique is his offset address, and I'm not about to try that anytime soon.

As for that alledged teaching video, well Trump is only saying what he does, not how he does it, so it's useless as a teaching aid and tells me nothing at all about his offset address technique, which is all I'm interested in really as everything else that he does I already do, just nowhere near as well as he does.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        This is already my set up, the classic boxer stance for a right hander that favours my left eye, mirror of Trump. There is nothing new about it, no secret to it, nothing really special about it at all and it simply suits the way I sight the shot, which is primarily with my left eye.

The only thing different about Trump's technique is his offset address, and I'm not about to try that anytime soon.

As for that alledged teaching video, well Trump is only saying what he does, not how he does it, so it's useless as a teaching aid and tells me nothing at all about his offset address technique, which is all I'm interested in really as everything else that he does I already do, just nowhere near as well as he does.
                        Vmax, you have a better view of this game than me. so , correct me if I'm wrong !! I realy think this offset technique is because he uses two point contact technique !! but with a big difference compared to other players !! Most players useing two point contact technique in a vertical line down the length of the CB !! he does it in a horizontal line on The wide of the CB as well !! in other words, instead of aiming the cue down under the center of the CB, he's gonna aim the tip to the left side of The center of the CB ( when he wants to play with RH Side). I use 2 point contact technique . But I always keep ( aim ) the tip as L as possible down to the center of the CB and then deliver up ( to the angel i looking for ) to the left Or R Side of The center ( whenever I want to play with side ) which is Not the same way as JT does !!

Comment

• You boys keep messing around with your techniques you'll never in a million years become consistent players. Stop worrying how other players address the ball we are all made differently and all think differently so to copy someone else can be seen as an impossible task.
                          I've had the same address position for 25yrs and to change that or even peak in areas would damage the way I play. Same thing goes for those who have a habit of changing their cue to think it's going to help their game when in fact it certainly won't it's all in your head.
                          Stick to what you know not what others know.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            You boys keep messing around with your techniques you'll never in a million years become consistent players. Stop worrying how other players address the ball we are all made differently and all think differently so to copy someone else can be seen as an impossible task.
                            I've had the same address position for 25yrs and to change that or even peak in areas would damage the way I play. Same thing goes for those who have a habit of changing their cue to think it's going to help their game when in fact it certainly won't it's all in your head.
                            Stick to what you know not what others know.
                            a hearty +1

top 16 players = (probably) 16 different stances, addresses and deliveries. Why people advocate, or try to, that we should adopt x or y from a player mystifies me.

Or perhaps we should all just copy Hendry. He won the most, so his technique must be the best. Right? lol
                            #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

• Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                              a hearty +1

top 16 players = (probably) 16 different stances, addresses and deliveries. Why people advocate, or try to, that we should adopt x or y from a player mystifies me.

Or perhaps we should all just copy Hendry. He won the most, so his technique must be the best. Right? lol
                              Yes exactly.
                              Snooker is not as complicated as people think, if you're a 40-50 breaker and your break breaks down its not to do with you playing the game wrong or you're standing wrong it's to do with you taking your eye off the ball and losing your consistency which is a great strength to each player, you got the 50 break so you really weren't doing anything wrong up to then.

Comment

• when i was a 40-50 breaker the reason i found myself on a difficult shot, out of position, on the cush would of been many reasons including shot selection, tempo, nerve, an overall technique

Comment

Working...
                                X