Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

So I ordered an O'min 1pc a while ago from the reseller on here. Was quite happy with the cue but while like a lot of you I'm a fan of the way 1-piece cues play, I'm pretty much fed up with slogging the damn thing around - especially when traveling. It won't even lie across the back seat of my car for Pete's sake, and when you're flying forget about it. Damn thing is harder to deal with than a pair of skis.

So I decided to convert it to a 2-piece, and after years of being around cues and cuemakers and seeing all the different things they can do, I decided to go with a four-piece, flat-faced joint with a glass pin (yup, glass).

Here's a pic of the cue prior to the conversion...

And here it is after, just an excellent job...

Here's a close up of the joint work. The pin as I say is made of tightly spun glass, and the collars are black phenolic. There's also a phenolic insert in the shaft end for the pin to screw into, which isn't technically necessary but is a good idea because the glass pin is slightly abrasive, so if you tapped it right into the ash it might wear down the threads over time. The guy who worked on this is a master machinist as well as a cue maker, so he was able to machine this insert to pretty exacting tolerances and believe me when it screws together it is tight! So much so you can barely even see the join when it's screwed together. He falso aligned the ash grain perfectly so it still runs seamlessly from the butt to the shaft, which is pretty cool.

The best part about a joint like this is that, unlike a metal joint, it adds virtually no weight to the center of the cue -- and in fact I actually lost some. Prior to the conversion the cue weighed 17.2oz and now it weighs 17.15, which is hardly any difference at all. I also lost just under 1/8" in length from the cue, which is basically the width of the saw blade used to cut it. Again no big deal at all.

As for the hit I have to say the change is so negligible I can't even notice it, and I use the cue a lot. The flat-faced style joint is a big part of this, but mostly this is part of the tremendous advantage of the glass pin. Unlike metal the glass pin flexes a little so you don't have this rigid feeling in the center of the cue that you get with so many 2-piece cues. It's basically as close to a 1-piece as you can get. It's similar in a lot of ways to the old wooden jointed cues that were around back in the day, but of course the problem with those was that the wood threads broke down over time and your cue wouldn't stay tight anymore. With the glass and phenolic combo this is no longer an issue at all.

Total cost of the conversion was $225cad by the way, but well worth it for finally being able to carry my snooker cue in the same case as my pool cues, and then take them all with me when I travel. For anyone interested in doing something similar you can PM me for details and I can hook you up. It's worth every penny.
    Last edited by dinovirus; 22 May 2015, 04:59 PM.
    Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Originally Posted by dinovirus View Post
    ...Total cost of the conversion was $225cad by the way....
    About £118 to have a joint fitted !! WOW

Comment

Interesting to see something different. Nice read.
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Glass joint? What you smoking? Seriously though, great engineering, brilliant technical work, but why? I put a 1-piece between the front and back seats and I can still seat five. So why put a joint in? MW says that cues are best without joints and folk then go ahead and carry out crazy projects. A cue should never be compromised to become a piece of luggage, this isn't golf.

And what has happened to the feel of the cue now? They're selling centre jointed classic cues on ebay for £30, why chop an O'min? And it looks like a pool cue.
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 23 May 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

So I ordered an O'min 1pc a while ago from the reseller on here. Was quite happy with the cue but while like a lot of you I'm a fan of the way 1-piece cues play, I'm pretty much fed up with slogging the damn thing around - especially when traveling. It won't even lie across the back seat of my car for Pete's sake, and when you're flying forget about it. Damn thing is harder to deal with than a pair of skis.

So I decided to convert it to a 2-piece, and after years of being around cues and cuemakers and seeing all the different things they can do, I decided to go with a four-piece, flat-faced joint with a glass pin (yup, glass).

Here's a pic of the cue prior to the conversion...

And here it is after, just an excellent job...

Here's a close up of the joint work. The pin as I say is made of tightly spun glass, and the collars are black phenolic. There's also a phenolic insert in the shaft end for the pin to screw into, which isn't technically necessary but is a good idea because the glass pin is slightly abrasive, so if you tapped it right into the ash it might wear down the threads over time. The guy who worked on this is a master machinist as well as a cue maker, so he was able to machine this insert to pretty exacting tolerances and believe me when it screws together it is tight! So much so you can barely even see the join when it's screwed together. He falso aligned the ash grain perfectly so it still runs seamlessly from the butt to the shaft, which is pretty cool.

The best part about a joint like this is that, unlike a metal joint, it adds virtually no weight to the center of the cue -- and in fact I actually lost some. Prior to the conversion the cue weighed 17.2oz and now it weighs 17.15, which is hardly any difference at all. I also lost just under 1/8" in length from the cue, which is basically the width of the saw blade used to cut it. Again no big deal at all.

As for the hit I have to say the change is so negligible I can't even notice it, and I use the cue a lot. The flat-faced style joint is a big part of this, but mostly this is part of the tremendous advantage of the glass pin. Unlike metal the glass pin flexes a little so you don't have this rigid feeling in the center of the cue that you get with so many 2-piece cues. It's basically as close to a 1-piece as you can get. It's similar in a lot of ways to the old wooden jointed cues that were around back in the day, but of course the problem with those was that the wood threads broke down over time and your cue wouldn't stay tight anymore. With the glass and phenolic combo this is no longer an issue at all.

Total cost of the conversion was $225cad by the way, but well worth it for finally being able to carry my snooker cue in the same case as my pool cues, and then take them all with me when I travel. For anyone interested in doing something similar you can PM me for details and I can hook you up. It's worth every penny.
          Never seen this before . I don't know much about this kind of thing but It's cool to see this kind of engineering .

Comment

Joint Might have cost more than the cue itself

Comment

Nothing wrong with a two piece cue, its only cue snobbery to look down on them

Comment

agreed, its only trends. not long ago 3/4 was all the rage
                Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                Nothing wrong with a two piece cue, its only cue snobbery to look down on them

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  Glass joint? What you smoking? Seriously though, great engineering, brilliant technical work, but why? I put a 1-piece between the front and back seats and I can still seat five. So why put a joint in? MW says that cues are best without joints and folk then go ahead and carry out crazy projects. A cue should never be compromised to become a piece of luggage, this isn't golf.

And what has happened to the feel of the cue now? They're selling centre jointed classic cues on ebay for £30, why chop an O'min? And it looks like a pool cue.
                  First off with respect to the feel I've played with it quite a bit over the past week or so and I can't even tell the difference. I'd say it's about 90-95% the same in overall feel as it was before it was jointed. And despite what some cue maker might tell you to me a cue isn't 'best' with or without a joint, it's 'best' when you can use it to play your optimal game. To me a cue a tool and nothing more, so if it makes sense to alter it to make it more versatile then that's what I'm going to do. I often travel to tournaments by plane and I like to take both my pool cues and my snooker cues with me, and dealing with a 60" metal case for one cue and then a totally different case for the others is a huge pain in the rear end. Besides, I think you'd be surprised at how well the cue plays now as a two-piece, maybe you shouldn't knock something before you try it.
                  Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

Some quality craftsmanship there. Nice work

Comment

Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

if that really is glass, that's one of the dumbest things to spunk 120 notes on I've ever seen.

anyway, looks like g10 to me.

Comment

I'm just wondering why the owner didn't sell the O'min, then buy a 3/4 jointed O'min with the same specs to replace it? 3/4 is a better joint as we all know.

Comment

Why does it matter what anyone thinks of the modification. Long as the owner is happy and plays well with it is all that matters. Looks like very well fitted joint.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                            I'm just wondering why the owner didn't sell the O'min, then buy a 3/4 jointed O'min with the same specs to replace it? 3/4 is a better joint as we all know.
                            a) Because I didn't want a 3/4 cue

b) Because a 3/4 joint is not better, it's only better than a 1/2 joint with the same brass fittings.

Besides, trying to replace one cue with another with the same specs is a fool's errand. Cues are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
                            Last edited by dinovirus; 26 May 2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

a) Because I didn't want a 3/4 cue

b) Because a 3/4 joint is not better, it's only better than a 1/2 joint with the same brass fittings.

Besides, trying to replace one cue with another with the same specs is a fool's errand. Cues are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
                              True, it's definitely not like it was now.

Comment

Working...
                              X