Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue for a beginner

Hello Everyone:

I am an American pool player who recently switched to snooker. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a first cue, because I haven't developed any preferences yet, and may replace it. I do know that the house cues where I play are um....inconsistent (he said politely). These are both in my price range, and I would welcome everyone's opinion about them and any other guidance or suggestions. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121534351716...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.billiardsboutique.com/col...ed-snooker-cue

That's easy, you buy the O'min, it's way better than that Peradon. The ebay seller is a member on here. Trusted guy. Message him and ask what deal he can do.

I like your name, are you in a 'family' in Little Italy?

Comment

hi don, i use to play snooker at chelsea billiars many years ago and liked my pool nights at amserdam club too.
      welcome an good luck on finding a cue

Comment

Good luck in buying a suitable cue. Here in Canada there
        isnt a lot of selection so I actually bought a handmade cue
        from one of the cue makers on this site. I had played a lot
        of pool tho so I new what weight and length I wanted and
        just had to decide on tip size.
        All the best.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I am purchasing the Omin as advised. I remember Chelsea Billiards J6ul. and even Julian's. I played at Amsterdam's uptown, and when it took over Corner Billiards location downtown. To those wondering about my name, remember: there's no such thing as the Mafia.

Comment

what kind of cue is your pool cue don? last thing you want is a cue your not excite about. if you look around a bit your likely to find what your after

Originally Posted by Don147 View Post
            Thanks for the responses, I am purchasing the Omin as advised. I remember Chelsea Billiards J6ul. and even Julian's. I played at Amsterdam's uptown, and when it took over Corner Billiards location downtown. To those wondering about my name, remember: there's no such thing as the Mafia.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              what kind of cue is your pool cue don? last thing you want is a cue your not excite about. if you look around a bit your likely to find what your after
              Well said~!

Comment

I have two Macdermott's and a J Pechauer, plus a Lucasi Hybrid break cue and jump cue. The room I play at sells BCE's, but they are not very inspiring. Unfortunately snooker is very rare in my area so I don't get to see or try many different kinds of cues. As long as the Omin is not horrible, I think it will be a good starting point.

Comment

okay well i was thinking what kind of flex or resonance you like. you've got the cue on the way to you i take it, but there are many of us on here who know their stuff an have cues reay to go if you ever need anything in the future..
                  I have two Macdermott's and a J Pechauer, plus a Lucasi Hybrid break cue and jump cue. The room I play at sells BCE's, but they are not very inspiring. Unfortunately snooker is very rare in my area so I don't get to see or try many different kinds of cues. As long as the Omin is not horrible, I think it will be a good starting point.

Comment

A good cue for a beginner is a cue that he can keep playing with as he improves, saving all that 'another' cue nonsense and expense. So buy a good cue to begin with! The bonus is that should you ever give up, you can easily sell a good cue. J6 cues are bargains for how well made and how well they play:

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...stories/page30

A cue that can easily be resold on TSF and he does deals, contact him direct via message. These cues are lovely, hand planed and hand made for the price of something not so good. Only a few great cue makers like Parris can claim to make a cue in Britain this way.
                    Last edited by Master Blaster; 27 May 2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                      A good cue for a beginner is a cue that he can keep playing with as he improves, saving all that 'another' cue nonsense and expense. So buy a good cue to begin with! The bonus is that should you ever give up, you can easily sell a good cue. J6 cues are bargains for how well made and how well they play:

Only a few great cue makers like Parris can claim to make a cue in Britain this way.
                      i never knew J6 imported shafts from Thailand, finished them and made you wait 10 years to get one...

and how do you know how well they play? when have you played with one?

I know I shouldn't give you any air, but you really are quite a ludicrous person.
                      Last edited by bolton-cueman; 27 May 2015, 05:36 PM.
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

I already took your other advice.

"That's easy, you buy the O'min, it's way better than that Peradon. The ebay seller is a member on here. Trusted guy. Message him and ask what deal he can do."

Comment

I already took your other advice.

"That's easy, you buy the O'min, it's way better than that Peradon. The ebay seller is a member on here. Trusted guy. Message him and ask what deal he can do."
                          Fair play mate, the O'min should be good. If you fancy something a bit more special later, I'm sure J6 or Jawes cues can sort you out a custom. Your O'min will easily resell if needed. Send some pics in.

Comment

I really don't have any idea what kind of flex or resonance I prefer in a snooker cue. The hit is so different from the maple pool cues I am used to. I just wanted to get something better than the house cues. There is so little snooker in my area, so there is very little basis for comparison. The room I play in also sells BLP cues, does anyone know anything about these?

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post

A cue that can easily be resold on TSF and he does deals, contact him direct via message. These cues are lovely, hand planed and hand made for the price of something not so good. Only a few great cue makers like Parris can claim to make a cue in Britain this way.
                              I think you are JP using an alias and here for revenge on all the folks that have slagged off parris cues.......
                              "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X