Ronnie's career year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie's career year?

Think of Ronnie's form against Xiao Guodong like a golfer shooting 59. Sure when you shoot 59 no one can beat you, as simple as it is obvious. However no golfer in history has ever shot back to back sub-60 rounds. Never has happened and maybe never will. As any player or commentator will tell you the hardest thing in golf is to follow up a career best round with a decent round much less one that is equal to it. They call it career best for a reason. This of course wasn't quite Ronnie's career best. That happened way back in 2007 against Ali Carter when he scored 5 centuries in a best of nine, including a 147!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3rBrHtg3Y

Unlike golf in snooker the result isn't cumulative either. It's like a match play tournament where you are only as good as your next round. That's what makes snooker so hard to dominate. Like golf the difference between a good shot and a bad shot is exceedingly small. As a result a player's form varies much more day to day than in most other sports. Federer is recognizably Federer every time he steps on the court. Ditto Steven Curry or Wayne Gretzky. In golf and in snooker by contrast you see Mark Allen winning the Masters one week and blowing a 3-0 lead in a best of seven in the first round the next. In golf 95% of the touring pros will miss the cut more often than they will win tournaments. And many a time have gone from winning a tournament one week to missing the cut the next.

In golf if you win one out of every seven tournaments you are a world beater. If you win one tournament a year, year in year out, you are one of the best players in the game. Snooker is pretty much the same. It's what makes this year by Ronnie so special. There is no guarantee of any kind that it will continue. In fact the statistics and so the odds are very much against it continuing. But, hell, let's enjoy it while it does and understand that the only thing that is certain is that it will come to an end.

He’s focussed on hitting 1000 centuries, once that focus has gone I think he’ll struggle to stay in the game.

Comment

For me, it's easy to understand Ronnie's current form and even to hear the pundits asking " is he getting better". I don't personally think he is getting better in terms of talent. He has always had an amazing talent, I think the difference is now that it doesn't mean "everything" to him. Many of us on here will be familiar with hungar an desire to show our potential when we were younger and how this desire can stifle our talents. That's what makes a game a sport, desire to win and be the best you can. Many revel in the pressure and crush opponents whose fear prevents them from performing at their best.

I think Ronnie has reached a personal Nirvana, he can't really lose. He doesn't really need to prove anything more, even though he doesn't hold all the records. 5 worlds given his back ground is impressive, 7 Masters, say no more....

If you put this into perspective, a major talent, healthy in body and mind, who has nothing to prove, is effectively now playing for the love of playing.....dangerous to anyone he meets on the table. Pretty much the perfect Samurai...formidable!
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        For me, it's easy to understand Ronnie's current form and even to hear the pundits asking " is he getting better". I don't personally think he is getting better in terms of talent.
        I think he's harnessing it better, certainly - he was butchering the field in some of the Home Nations events this year and has been setting records for pot success rate that are ridiculous even by his own high standard.

Comment

The other record he can match or even beat this year is the 5 ranking event wins in one season, held jointly by Hendry, Ding and Selby.

I personally believe Ronnie's claims of not caring are a smokescreen, a magicians misdirection, while secretly he practices hard, fighting for every comp he enters, trying for every ton, and it will take him not turning up for the World title for me to believe he doesn't want to at least equal Stephen
          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
            it will take him not turning up for the World title for me to believe he doesn't want to at least equal Stephen
            And there's no way that'll happen either - he's a really bad liar!

Comment

The "not caring" could well be a psychobabble line from wotshisname to allow ROS to be free to play his best, rather than "don't bother practicing, just turn up and have a laugh".

Comment

Working...
              X