Wooldridge Blackspin ferrules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooldridge Blackspin ferrules

So a few years on now since these blackspin ferrules, whats the feeling now that people have tried and tested?
    They worth the money, around £80 to be fitted I believe?
    Do they make a big difference to how you play?
    Gimmick or Genius??

I'm quite interested if anyone has had one retro fitted to an existing cue, as I am considering this myself.
    Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Pottr used to have one on his Wooldridge, we both had a go at playing with the blackspin ferrule but couldn't get on with it.
      We agreed it is a fantastic idea for a player who is new to the game.

Basically the ferrule takes away all of the 'throw' that you get when playing a shot with side, for instance if you play with right hand side you aim left of target and allow for the cue ball to drift right.
      With this ferrule the cue ball travels as if you have hit it centre ball even when playing with side. I couldn't get on with it, it fried my brain having played for years and allowing for the throw.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Thanks Tom, I always wondered if they worked, did either of you find any difference with the amount of reaction you got on the cue ball compared to a brass ferrule?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Thanks Tom, I always wondered if they worked, did either of you find any difference with the amount of reaction you got on the cue ball compared to a brass ferrule?
          No problem mate, to be honest I couldn't give an answer on reaction, i've only played the odd frame with the cue. Most notable difference was the throw or lack of.
          Imagine you're playing the break off shot, usually if playing with right hand side you'll aim left of the target red to allow for the throw/side to swing the ball over to the right.
          With these ferrules there is no throw whatsoever. For players who are used to throw and allow for it these ferrules are a nightmare however for new players to the game i'd say they're ideal.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Thanks for the input but if the cue reacts as you mention, how can you make Massé shots for example? How if you deliberately want your cue ball to arc around a ball.....if the throw is killed?
            One of my friend is considering buying a MW but not sold on the blackspin ferrule. He's an experience pool and snooker player, so I think it woule be a better option for him to stick with a brass ferrule.
            What do you think ?
            Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I have a blackspin ferrule and have no trouble with swerving around a ball

Comment

The blackspin seems to add extra cost on repair.

Comment

If they were that good i think more pros would be using them.
                  Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
                    If they were that good i think more pros would be using them.
                    Have you tried one ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Have you tried one ?
                      No john i have not sadly i have more to spend my £80 on.
                      Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
                        No john i have not sadly i have more to spend my £80 on.
                        Ahh mine came free with the cue attached
                        To be honest i can't tell the difference lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          I have a blackspin ferrule and have no trouble with swerving around a ball
                          Interested in your opinion. So is it true that, basically, you don't have to compensate the angle when applying side with a blackspin ferrule?
                          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                            Interested in your opinion. So is it true that, basically, you don't have to compensate the angle when applying side with a blackspin ferrule?
                            I'm afraid you asking the wrong person, i'm not good enough to answer that question, maybe i do whatever needs doing without thinking about it ?

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                              Pottr used to have one on his Wooldridge, we both had a go at playing with the blackspin ferrule but couldn't get on with it.
                              I couldn't get on with it, it fried my brain having played for years and allowing for the throw.
                              I had been playing with a 'normal' cue for 35 years before I got my first MW and I adjusted within a few minutes with no problem. I can swerve round a ball easier as well. I love the lack of throw and I can cut edge to edge shots easier as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X