Does tip size matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does tip size matter

I've been contemplating whether to buy a new cue to be used for pool but would you say it's possible to play a decent standard of pool with a cue that is more snooker specs for example a 9.5mm tip.

Does tip size matter

I know very good players who do use 9+mm ferrules and a few who use low 7mm.
    If unsure see if you can try other cues to see what you like.
    As a starter a 9mm won't be too far from what you are used to and get used to the small cue ball.
    I use a 8.2mm but only because it was the size of my early cue when I didn't think about these things at all, just played and had fun
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks a lot I was just saying as always played pool with a snooker spec cue which is 9.6mm

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt-10ant View Post
        I've been contemplating whether to buy a new cue to be used for pool but would you say it's possible to play a decent standard of pool with a cue that is more snooker specs for example a 9.5mm tip.
        I think Gareth Potts won the 8 ball world championship with his snooker cue. He said he had been playing Chinese pool a lot with a larger tip and his usual pool cue felt like a tooth pick when he went back to it so he played with his snooker cue. I play with a 9.4mm, I've thought about trying a smaller tip too, but I'm not sure it would help my game massively.

Comment

No worries as I am looking for a new cue to play both games with

Comment

Just remember, the larger the tip, the easier it is to strike the centre of the cue ball, no matter what game you're playing. I never had any problems with english 8 ball using a snooker cue, which was a very light old machine spliced one piece, no ferrule with a pro taper of 10mm, could play all the shots required, side, screw, top and stun.

Comment

Okay Steve thanks for the insight makes sense

Comment

I went for a small tip size, 7.8mm and as much as I absolutely love my cue I do wish that I didn't go that small as I have to really focus on striking the centre of the white, however, I also use the small tip kind of like the sight on a gun, when I try and use a larger cue it feels like I'm playing with a bit of scaffolding and can't aim as precisely, if I had my time again I wouldn't go any lower than 8.7-8.8mm.

Comment

Thank you for the advice I want to go around 9mm or a little larger depending on what people have to sell

Comment

ive recently been playing pool with my snooker cue (9.5mm) coz i left my pool cue (9mm) at a mates house and wasnt able to get it back.

I found it easier to pot with my snooker cue but i am now missing the the intricacy of a slightly smaller tip for maneuvering the white around. I'm amazed at how much difference 1/2mm actually makes when playing with side/screw/run etc.

I like to a have a different cue for each, it just seems to separate the games mentally too if that makes sense? Plus i like a softer tip for pool.
                    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I only recently ( 12-18Mths ago ) went to 9.25mm from 9.5 and even that amount is MASSIVE IMO.

I play heaps better with 9.25 in both games and use 1 Cue for them, i will never go back to 9.5mm now as it seems like i am playing with a Cricket bat handle!!

My game is also heaps better with the smaller tip and it is much easier to control the White in both games and i have been playing with 9.5 for close to 10 years and wish i had of changed sooner!

No Cue i purchase from now on will be a 9.5 Tip and to those regulars who do keep playing with 9.5 seriously try a 9.25 and see what you think and you may be as surprised as me!
                      If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Working...
                      X