Snooker Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Challenge

I have a serious question. All through my life I have set myself challenges to give me something to aim for. Whether in another sport or business.

This month I will complete the sale of a business and am very fortunate that I will not need to work for a while. I am looking to set myself a challenge and have thought about a snooker one.

I have not played for 10 years and when younger my highest break was 25. Not astounding. I am 40 now and have came up with an idea. I am from Glasgow and have access to a very good club. The one John Higgins practices at.

My challenge is within that year play and practice every single day and read as many books, find a coach and watch as many DVDs as possible. The aim is within that year achieve a 147.

What do you think my chances are in all seriousness???

Your aim to achieve a 147 in practise or in a match??

Big difference..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
      Your aim to achieve a 147 in practise or in a match??

Big difference..
      Practice. Too many variables in a match but who knows with progress. Either way I don't see it being easy

Comment

Just wondering how much you played when you got your 25, because I think your gnona need some real natural talent to get a 147 in a year.

I think you should set your sights a bit lower, maybe try for a century in the year then build on that if you manage it.

Comment

Certainly not easy and my first thoughts are its too difficult. May be better to start with something a bit easier and build up. Possibly start with beating your lifetimes best of 25 then aim for a 50. A fifty is a good target for an amateur. If you can hit a century within say six months then maybe you can turn your attention to a 147. Good idea to get some lessons.
          PS My thoughts are those of someone who has played for nearly 50 years and have yet to get a 50 break! Just ain't got it. lol.

Comment

Your almost starting from scratch then, wish you all the luck but i would say chances are not high lol.
            Maybe a 147 doing line up would be possible, but normal balls spread about is so much harder, i can't see it myself , sorry
            Prove me wrong tho, come on here with regular updates please.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
              Certainly not easy and my first thoughts are its too difficult. May be better to start with something a bit easier and build up. Possibly start with beating your lifetimes best of 25 then aim for a 50. A fifty is a good target for an amateur. If you can hit a century within say six months then maybe you can turn your attention to a 147. Good idea to get some lessons.
              PS My thoughts are those of someone who has played for nearly 50 years and have yet to get a 50 break! Just ain't got it. lol.
              I am like a dog with a bone and will have a lot of free time. My wife runs her business so effectively I will treat it like a full time job and play 7 hours a day. My first aim is to set myself those challenges and 25 will be the first, then 50, 75, 100 and then the 147.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueball22 View Post
                Just wondering how much you played when you got your 25, because I think your gnona need some real natural talent to get a 147 in a year.

I think you should set your sights a bit lower, maybe try for a century in the year then build on that if you manage it.
                I was 19/20 I think. No half measures. I'm going for the 147 ha ha

Comment

Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
                  I have a serious question. All through my life I have set myself challenges to give me something to aim for. Whether in another sport or business.

This month I will complete the sale of a business and am very fortunate that I will not need to work for a while. I am looking to set myself a challenge and have thought about a snooker one.

I have not played for 10 years and when younger my highest break was 25. Not astounding. I am 40 now and have came up with an idea. I am from Glasgow and have access to a very good club. The one John Higgins practices at.

My challenge is within that year play and practice every single day and read as many books, find a coach and watch as many DVDs as possible. The aim is within that year achieve a 147.

No chance.

Comment

Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post

No chance.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Your almost starting from scratch then, wish you all the luck but i would say chances are not high lol.
                      Maybe a 147 doing line up would be possible, but normal balls spread about is so much harder, i can't see it myself , sorry
                      Prove me wrong tho, come on here with regular updates please.
                      I will keep you up to date when I start. Not going to until later in the year. Don't want to be holed up inside a snooker hall all day during the summer months. Feel the hard bare bones of stripping my game right back to the basics and learning basic techniques will be the place to start. Think that maybe when next Easter comes around I should be able to lessen the practice as such and just use all the things I've learned over the winter months to achieving heavy scoring per frame.

Comment

Originally Posted by mick 142 View Post
                        No chance.
                        Cheers. Love it. Was waiting on a comment like that. That's the kind of comment I will print off and will look at when I have crap days on the table to spur me on.

No constructive feedback or opinion. Just a straighforward "no chance" lol. Delighted you posted that.

Comment

There are lots of pro's who havn't done a 147, so that may put it into perspective for you lol
                          I would say a century possibly, but a 147 will be a whole new level to reach

Comment

Despite all the nay sayers, given your situation I think it's possible, but it will be difficult. I think someone with enough natural ability, and the time/energy/money you clearly have should definitely be able to make a century break, and possibly even a 147.

Step #1 is find a good coach, and see them once a week initially while practicing 8-10 hours a day in between. Focus on technique first, the goal is to build a solid consistent cue action with no major flaws or limitations which will later prevent you from playing the full range of shots. Once you have a solid cue action you can see the coach every 2 weeks, and then each month, or month and 1/2 and finally once every 6 months just for a 'checkup'.

Step #2 is to learn the potting angles, and white ball carom angles until you know on every shot exactly where the object and white ball will go.

Step #3 is to develop screw, stun, and top spin shots and how they affect the white ball carom angle.

Step #4 is to put positional play together in one package, using the white ball carom angle, screw, stun, and top spin plus the correct weighting of shot to make position.

Step #5 is to learn how side spin can be used effectively, and where and when to use it. Hint; only when screw, stun, or top cannot give you position.

Step #6 is to find local competitions and get seriously involved.

Throughout you should be finding opponents of relatively similar skill levels to play, at least one game a week, maybe more.
                            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              There are lots of pro's who havn't done a 147, so that may put it into perspective for you lol
                              I would say a century possibly, but a 147 will be a whole new level to reach
                              Surely every pro would have at somepoint through practice frames would have hit one?? I'm surprised at that.

Comment

Working...
                              X