Advice for pool cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for pool cue?

Would be very much appreciated...(Plus, Hi from a newbie).

I have recently realised half a dream and bought a UK 8 ball table. My ultimate dream is a snooker table of course, when I have the mansion to go with it. Anyway as I am from snooker stock, my knowledge on all things pool are limited.

I've spent quite a lot on the table, lights and other accessories and as the kitty is now looking bare, I am reluctant to spend much.

I am at intermediate level and making progress, but using a snooker cue atm. The pool cues I'm looking at may be for beginners, but I'm hoping they may also be decent enough for me to progress till a later date. I wouldn't know how good or a bad a cue is unless I held it, but with room size restrictions I'm looking at the 55" cues and I can't find any in the shops. Would anybody recommend the following cues I have my eye on?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191393185820

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerglide-M...rglide+mission

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerglide-F...werglide+force

Get yourself down to a local Snooker/Pool club most places will sell cues, least you can try before you buy and find something that would suit you.

Comment

I know my local club has token cues for people to play with on the day, but they don't sell cues per se. I'm going to order the Powerglide Force, it ticks the boxes, just hope it feels ok. 1 Reviewer on Amazon says its too light, one says its too heavy, hope I'm the case of the third bear and it feels just right.

Comment

I know its for pool and you say room is tight, but 55" is a fairly short cue. I had a 57" cue and decided to order a custom made cue but ordered a 56" and you do notice the difference even just 1", I wish I had ordered 57" to be honest. I'm not particularly tall or big built and I know I wouldn't want to go to that short a cue. You really want to play your best when you're away from your own home table playing in leagues and competitions and you need a cue you are comfortable with not just one you picked because space was tight. You can get 3/4 cues that the minibutt screws into the shaft for when you are restricted for space, I don't know how much they cost though, but it may be worth looking into.

Comment

I know what you mean actually. I have just purchased the cue though because the quick release butt that takes it down to 49", I couldn't find elsewhere. As a shortened cue would be required quite regularly on the table, the speed of release is convenient rather than prolonged screw on and off. I have to admit though I tried a cheap 54" cue last night and I was alarmed. I am going to seek an extra second hand 57" 9mm cue as cover.

Comment

I ordered a Wooldridge Maple One piece 55" as I talked myself into thinking I needed a shorter cue for Pool different cue for Snooker etc, used it prob 10 times way too short and I'm only 5" 10 I've now settled on a 9.25mm Wooldridge for both and have never played better!

Comment

Out of interest what are the dimensions of the room you are playing in, I take it that you bought a standard pub size 7 foot table? I know you said the kitty is low but the cue is the one thing you will have with you when it matters, when you are playing a match, and if you find a good one it can last you many years, well unless you stick around this forum then you'll be changing it every other week I would try to find one that suits you rather than the place you are playing in.

What length did you end up with Rob153?

Comment

Ended up with spec of 9.25MM 17.5oz 57.25" 3/4 Joint. I've lost count of how many cues I've owned and used over the years, finally found the one..........well until I get the itch again :-)

Comment

Three sides of the table have plenty enough space, but one length side is 44.5" from the wall. So any shots on or near the cushion require an unreasonably high raised butt with a 57". 55" Would improve this somewhat, but also I have one of those terrible free-with-the-table cues which is 48" and quite simply that is the only option to play on the cushion shots. Therefore the quick release butt which shorterns the "55 cue to 49" seems like a really good idea.

Comment

Tight spaces around a pool table is a common problem hence my cues are designed to cope with this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1515720598...84.m1555.l2649

More selection available when the next batch of cues are finished in a couple of weeks time permitting.

Comment

So you have plenty of space on 3 sides but not much on the other, I take it you obviously cant just move the table or you would do so? My only concern would be that a short cue would hamper your natural cueing action and you could end up with a short jabby stroke. If it was me I would consider moving the table centrally even if that will mean you will be short of space on both sides, 44.5 inches on one side is nowhere near enough (is it 44.5" to the edge of the table or 44.5" to the edge of the playing surface at the cushion).

Comment

Its 44.5" to the edge of the table. Its one of those Windsor Diner/pool tables, I had to compromise with my wife. I've already stole half the space in the room, I dare not steal any more. I only need a short cue say approx 1 in every 20 shots.

Comment

Thought I'd follow up on this now that my cue has arrived [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerglide-Force-Piece-Unisex-English/dp/B0051CMNVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1424528892&sr=1-1&keywords=powerglide+force[/URL]

As a few of you have mentioned, 55" really feels too small, my little finger doesn't fit on the end and I'm not the biggest at 5"9. However, the space it is saving is very noticeable, and the weighted end when shortened further works wonders.

So I guess I'm pretty undecided about it. 55" compromises my action and enjoyment of the stroke, but a 57" compromises my flow around the table with the space confinement. My advice to anyone is don't go under 57" unless you're in a situation like mine.

The cue was advertised as 18oz but is actually 17oz and the cue is not perfectly straight, lifts 1 or 2 mm's from the surface when rolled, don't know if I'm being pedantic about that, but I'm 50/50 whether to return it. One things for certain, it will not be my long term cue.

Comment

...and one more follow up, I have since returned the cue to Amazon and headed to Thurston in Liverpool which I should have done in the first place. Bought myself a Peradon Warrior 3 piece, which is a 57" cue but has an 8" quick release joint. Pushed the boat out money wise (£137, but bizarrely advertised as 13,700.00 on their website), but at least its taken away the issue now and I think it might be my cue for life, I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X