Pool tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool tips

What type of tip is good for an 8 ball cue - soft , medium ,hard ? Laminated or pressed and what size of tip do yous guys use for breaking and Does a small tipped cue get damaged when breaking

Kamui clear on blackspin ferrule.

IMG_0664.JPG

Tip is 9mm, so no chance of my power breaking it .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Very nice mate I have a 8.3mm tip but don't use it for breaking , usually use a club cue as I feel I can get into the pack better and don't want to carry about 2 cue haha

Comment

I have blue diamond plus tip, works a treat for me (8.5mm), so good i almost pot a ball every game!

Comment

I'm using a medium ADR147 laminated tip (9.5mm).

Excellent tip and definitely recommended.

Comment

For pool ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jgra View Post
              For pool ?
              Yes indeed. Great tip and speedy service. I found it really easy to trim with a brand new Stanley blade and sand to shape.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251736549819

ADR states they're for snooker and pool cues and plenty of guys here swear by them.

I haven't used it for the break, I always used a house cue years ago and still do.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info , I also break with house cues !

Comment

i use a 8mm soft tip and i also break with it as i find i get more cue power with it and i have never damaged my tip doing it

Comment

ADR medium been playing with one a few months and nothing else comes close amazing tip.

Comment

adr147 pro laminated @ 9mm for me, best tip i've ever had on a cue.
                      Andi Mack

Comment

I like around 9 to 9.25. I once had a 10mm Connoisseur and it was magic, but it was a freak cue. My best pool was probably with a 9mm maple dufferin with a blue diamond. And it was machine spliced and machine tapered. My old man bought 3 of the duff's from a supplier and the shafts were outstanding, but that was 20 years ago. The strange thing was they were about 62inches long.

Comment

I personally think, you can't get better than a MH Kamui.

However, I am going to try a Hard ADR tip, as of today or tomorrow, so we'll see how that compares.

Comment

.........Pro Granites (stocked by Stu, at Green Baize) are also very good for 8-Ball Pool.

Comment

I once started a bit of a heated discussion on here (unintentionally!) about tip sizes for 8-ball. But a lot of very knowledgeable and talented players disagreed with me, and I guess I've formed a more rounded view from this. The absolute bottom line on tip size which nobody would disagree with is to use a tip size that makes the game easiest for you. My view is to use a small tip (I use 8mm) because for one thing you can get a lot of spin without hitting the white too hard. This is crucial in 8-ball where you often need to get a lot of side off cushions or play those delicate soft screws. Also, a small tip makes it much easier to cue when the small white is tight against a cushion.
                              But the issue with smaller tips is that while they spin the white more, they can generate unwanted side - so you've got to be good at cueing. Now, this is where you'll find a lot of decent players saying that they can cue very well, and because of this they feel they can get enough spin with a 9.5 or 10mm tip. I'd still argue that if you were very good at cueing you'd be better off with a small tip because you don't have to hit the white as hard to get the spin you want. And if course there is the fact that smaller tips are better for cueing when the white is tight on a cushion.
                              The type of tip (really the hardness) then goes hand in hand with this. Softer tips spin the white less than hard tips, so if you wanted an 8mm tip because of the improved touch or better cueing off the rail - but maybe you were concerned about getting too much unwanted side, a softer tip like a Blue Diamond might be the way to go. And while people usually fund thet Blue Diamonds lose their shape (mushroom) with snooker, the lighter white means that this isn't such an issue with pool. Conversely, you might decide to go for a larger tip, but use something like a Kamui. Kamui's are laminated and usually quite hard - so spin the ball well. The biggest problem with Kamuis is that for snooker they can often break up/crumble - especially if you miscue badly. But again with the lighter 8-ball white this isn't such an issue.
                              For what its worth I use an 8mm Elk Master with a 16.5oz Cue Craft Golden Arrow. But like I say, its really down to personal preference, and what you find yourself having more success with.

Comment

Working...
                              X