No announcement yet.

Mike Wooldridge - *NEW* 'BlackSpin' Ferrule System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm as confused as you rimmer. I work in a metrology lab, and as such, it's all exact numbers, with

no subjective results allowed. It either meets spec or it doesn't..

Perhaps the variety of solutions for the perfect cue, is as a result of the cue being an extension to your arm.

Everyone has small anatomical differences to bone lengths , bone density, muscle mass, and even motor skills.

To a lesser degree, darts similarly throws ( ) up the variety of dart shapes & weights, with , I bet some players preferring

a cheaper dart that just feels better, to more expensive options.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
      Thanks for your reply mate, but this just proves my point. When it comes to snooker (and I suppose cue sports in general) there seem to be no hard and fast rule about what works and what not in terms of equipment. Everything just seems to be a matter of personal preference. It's the only sport I know where this seems to be the case. In motor racing for example, 50 bhp more equals faster lap times, softer tyres ditto etc. Sailing, skiing, you name it where ever there is some sort of equipment involved there seem to be a more steadfast rule about what works and what doesn't. As an engineer it's a concept I'm really struggling with. Any enlightenment on that subject would be really welcome.
      I think with Snooker Parris ultimates will always dominate the game with pros and I would be very very surprised if we ever see a top pro sporting a black-spin. Yes the likes of Coutts, white, Wooldridge will all make a living out of making cues but I think that's about it regarding selling them on a commercial level.

Comment

• Just to ad to my above post. I'm in no way suggesting that there should be a hard and fast rule, only that I'm struggling with the absence of one. Since I am only a 24 break player it's quite obvious that I am the one who's missing a trick here. So please, any enlightenment on that matter would be really appreciated.

Comment

Just to ad to my above post. I'm in no way suggesting that there should be a hard and fast rule, only that I'm struggling with the absence of one. Since I am only a 24 break player it's quite obvious that I am the one who's missing a trick here. So please, any enlightenment on that matter would be really appreciated.
          LOL, you and I would have a close game Rimmer. :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            LOL, you and I would have a close game Rimmer. :snooker:
            Ha ha, maybe we both are trying to be too scientific playing snooker. Maybe snooker is more like making love to a beautiful woman ( to quote Swiss Toni). If it feels good, it is good. No right or wrong.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
              I think with Snooker Parris ultimates will always dominate the game with pros and I would be very very surprised if we ever see a top pro sporting a black-spin. Yes the likes of Coutts, white, Wooldridge will all make a living out of making cues but I think that's about it regarding selling them on a commercial level.
              The top and bottom of it Leo is are they bothered , i doubt it , what do it prove , nowt .

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                The top and bottom of it Leo is are they bothered , i doubt it , what do it prove , nowt .
                As I said they make a living out of it so why should they be bothered, but Ill bet my bottom dollar many of them envy parris not because the quality of the cues as I'm sure many make better quality cues but more the business side of it.

Comment

As I said they make a living out of it so why should they be bothered, but Ill bet my bottom dollar many of them envy parris not because the quality of the cues as I'm sure many make better quality cues but more the business side of it.
                  Not sure they do envy Parris , why would they , cant speak for the top uk makers but i think their not concerned what Parris does or how he does it , how much he charges or how many pros use his cues etc . Dont think it would enter their mind .

Comment

Not sure they do envy Parris , why would they , cant speak for the top uk makers but i think their not concerned what Parris does or how he does it , how much he charges or how many pros use his cues etc . Dont think it would enter their mind .

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                      Don't mean it like that mate, I meant it in a way that they respect how far he's come and how big he is on a commercial level of the whole Parris brand. I mean lets be fair many people don't buy a Parris ultimate because it's the best cue out there, many buy it because the brand is huge within world snooker where the other cuemakers who make just as good cues if not better are not so recognisable globally.

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                        The cat has already been thrown amongst the pidgeons, about 14 posts ago.

I believe that just as no 2 cues play alike , even same spec and looks, then the blackspin will suit some folk, and not others..

People aren't lying about preferring it ( why would they ), but I know others who don't like it.

You pay your money, you make your choice. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        +10 to that !!!

Comment

Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeon's here. If blackspin ferrule is t he holy grail, then why is there no pro using it?
                          Why do 90% of the Pros all use Parris Cues? Why are none ( or none to my knowledge ) using Trevor White Cues or a Cue from MW himself?? They are equally as good IMO and the boards on here say the same thing.

Parris controls the market at that top end and gives the Pros free Ultimates with no waiting times etc and has his foot firmly entrenched in that door currently and he spends a heap on the advertising of his product while the other Cue makers let their own customers tell others how good their Cues are. I am not saying Parris is no good but he just markets himself better IMO especially regarding Pro players.

My MW is right on par with ANY Cue i have played with and i love it.

A member on here recently went to the U.K from his own country a fair way away from the U.K and bought a few Cues etc from various makers and even visited Parris and i asked him " Did you get a Cue " and his reply was " No nothing took my eye and i didn't like em..." Take from that what you will but this guy i am talking about knows his Cues and has plenty of them from all good makers ( Do not even ask who he is on here as it is not important ) . I seemed to get the feeling you are paying for the name badge with a JP Cue regardless of what model it is nowadays as John himself is getting on and has a heap of people working for him making Cues.

My 2c anyway!
                          Last edited by Chappy5; 2 March 2015, 05:40 AM.
                          If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

• I had my Trevor White retro fitted with a black spin core and it did stiffen up the cue, BUT lost 30% of the spin responsiveness compared to the brass ferrule which was fitted originally. I feel that a black spin core fitted as standard on MW cues, the shaft can be tapered to gain the benefits of the core.

While the core does stiffen up the cue and produces a crisp hit, on this occasion the core reduced the spin responsiveness (as I had to hit the ball much harder to generate the same reaction). I did change the tip and tried other others but the end result was the same. One positive is the black ferrule look nice in contrast to the maple shaft.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
                              I had my Trevor White retro fitted with a black spin core and it did stiffen up the cue, BUT lost 30% of the spin responsiveness compared to the brass ferrule which was fitted originally. I feel that a black spin core fitted as standard on MW cues, the shaft can be tapered to gain the benefits of the core.

While the core does stiffen up the cue and produces a crisp hit, on this occasion the core reduced the spin responsiveness (as I had to hit the ball much harder to generate the same reaction). I did change the tip and tried other others but the end result was the same. One positive is the black ferrule look nice in contrast to the maple shaft.
                              Would you conclude that BS doesn't like maple? I suggest this as we know maple is denser and plays differently to ash. Or was your point a general one, that BS reduces screw and top? Did you ask MW and TW about your findings?

Comment

• Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
                                I had my Trevor White retro fitted with a black spin core and it did stiffen up the cue, BUT lost 30% of the spin responsiveness compared to the brass ferrule which was fitted originally. I feel that a black spin core fitted as standard on MW cues, the shaft can be tapered to gain the benefits of the core.

Would you conclude that BS doesn't like maple? I suggest this as we know maple is denser and plays differently to ash. Or was your point a general one, that BS reduces screw and top? Did you ask MW and TW about your findings?

Comment

Working...
                                X