Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying pressure to cue

Hi there

As an enthusiast of cueing actions, a connoisseur if you will, I've noticed something common to some players cueing actions that I've never read information on before. I've noticed that while watching certain down-the-cue angles of players such as Ronnie and Judd, on certain shots you can visibly see the cue bending quite a lot on their final backswing. I've read about bringing your chest to the cue as a guide but I haven't heard anyone mention the pressure between the chest and cue. I would have naturally thought you'd want as little pressure as possible as to not bring the cue off line but I've seen otherwise.

You can see here at about 8 seconds that he's delivering the cue and it really shows the bend. This is the same for Judd too though I can't find a video.

Any opinions?

My conclusion / reason -

Enhances the tip ""to stay"" with the CB for longer because on approach the shaft has this curvature that allows it. Cao did the same bending of the shaft on a power screw too ( screwing back off the OB blue in the green pocket for the pink , I think ). Thats my take on it. On all shots the tip must stay with the OB but on power screws its even more paramount.

Never tried it, but I will so soon.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
      My conclusion / reason -

Enhances the tip ""to stay"" with the CB for longer because on approach the shaft has this curvature that allows it. Cao did the same bending of the shaft on a power screw too ( screwing back off the OB blue in the green pocket for the pink , I think ). Thats my take on it. On all shots the tip must stay with the OB but on power screws its even more paramount.

Never tried it, but I will so soon.
      Physically impossible for that to happen, CB is long gone. This long lingering myth has been dispelled many times and is a waste of time and energy for players trying to achieve the impossible. If you want more reaction you simply need the accuracy of striking and more cue speed, no amount of follow through is going to help, the amount of follow through is just a product of cue speed, so you only need to bring the cue to a natural finish.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
        Physically impossible for that to happen, CB is long gone. This long lingering myth has been dispelled many times and is a waste of time and energy for players trying to achieve the impossible. If you want more reaction you simply need the accuracy of striking and more cue speed, no amount of follow through is going to help, the amount of follow through is just a product of cue speed, so you only need to bring the cue to a natural finish.
        If there was a mechanical cue set up which can either move at a constant speed (say 10m/s) or accelerate up to and beyond 10m/s. Do you think there would be a difference in the length screwed back on two identical shots? It would be quite interesting to see the result

Comment

Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
          If there was a mechanical cue set up which can either move at a constant speed (say 10m/s) or accelerate up to and beyond 10m/s. Do you think there would be a difference in the length screwed back on two identical shots? It would be quite interesting to see the result
          Acceleration, follow through or starting distance from the CB have no effect on the reaction, the reason for acceleration is to keep the tension out of your arm.

Comment

Acceleration, follow through or starting distance from the CB have no effect on the reaction, the reason for acceleration is to keep the tension out of your arm.
            Do you think the two experiments would be the same?

Comment

Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
              Do you think the two experiments would be the same?
              The speed at the time of contact would be the only determining factor.

Comment

Applying pressure to cue

So all boxers are wrong as they punch through opponents head? They should definitely be corrected!! ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
                  So all boxers are wrong as they punch through opponents head? They should definitely be corrected!! ?
                  This is a strawman argument, a boxer would have difficulty timing the maximum speed at time of contact and he would also have a hard time not following through given the momentum.
                  Go ahead and count the time on this high speed film and get back to me when you can disprove the physics.
                  http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_...ew/HSVA-57.htm

Or even a squishy tennis ball
                  https://youtu.be/Drj_YaaSEuU

or a squishy golf ball
                  https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk
                  Last edited by Slasher; 19 December 2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I have often just stroked a ball with screw and the reaction sometimes has me surprised due to the lack of acceleration I used through the CB. Bit like when the comms say ""his hit that too well hasn't he"".

Come on, guys. Opinions on why some bend the shaft then..
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

This is a strawman argument, a boxer would have difficulty timing the maximum speed at time of contact and he would also have a hard time not following through given the momentum.
                      Go ahead and count the time on this high speed film and get back to me when you can disprove the physics.
                      http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_...ew/HSVA-57.htm

Or even a squishy tennis ball
                      https://youtu.be/Drj_YaaSEuU

or a squishy golf ball
                      https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk

That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.
                        I wouldn't want to be the one to hit a billiard ball with a golf club, the shock wave up your arm would be brutal

Comment

Applying pressure to cue

I've noticed myself bending the shaft on some shots (mostly deep screws) but i don't really think it would make a difference to the way contact happens between tip and ball. might make timing and feel easier perhaps as there's some resistance in the early part of delivery that eases when you release the pressure on the cue, hence accelerating better. I never do that on any other shots than the ones that need power, so I'm guessing it's a way to gain more control over the delivery on powershots.

Comment

Fascinating me this one chaps, I've been wondering if I was seeing things watching ROS do this but also saw CAOs cue do this the other day. He appears in the vid to pull the butt of the cue up as he draws it back?

Hope someone can answer the question as it gonna drive me nuts not knowing. Lol.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

A necessary part of putting some shoulder into the stroke?

Comment

Working...
                              X