Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could give just one piece of advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    All I am thinking about when playing well is if I want to be high or low on the next ball the pot is a given and I know my technique as have been playing match snooker since I was 11. What I mean by sometimes I don’t feel like I can hold a cue is if playing a match against a really top class opponent who freezes you out for 2-3 frames scores heavy every chance they get and puts you under a lot of pressure. That’s when you really see where your games at and find out how hard the game can be. That Is when I think about stillness conviction etc. as mentioned above it's my little go to formula.
    See to me that probably demonstrates the difference in the mental game that you guys have from someone like myself; I can pot the balls and make 50+ breaks regularly but I haven't ever moved pass that.. "If I miss here they will be in for a huge break" stage, which I know is probably one of the biggest weaknesses in my game.

Comment

Originally Posted by shafter View Post
      Your round next! mines a becks lol
      That's fine, your round the one after... Becks is fine by me but Ill have a double,, cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by wootton05 View Post
        See to me that probably demonstrates the difference in the mental game that you guys have from someone like myself; I can pot the balls and make 50+ breaks regularly but I haven't ever moved pass that.. "If I miss here they will be in for a huge break" stage, which I know is probably one of the biggest weaknesses in my game.
        If you can make regular 50 plus breaks all you have to do is make 2 of them without missing and your making 100s . Seriously I bet you are 1 or 2 key shots away from it eg. are you making sure you go into balls when you have the angle to do so rather than scoring 50 never getting the angle again and you have run out of balls. Being agressive in your play not only gives you confidence when the agressive shot works out (there will be times when it doesn't of course) it also puts alot of pressure on who your playing.

Comment

seeing key shots is what makes a 50 breaker kick on

as for matchplay. all the little imperfections that are over looked in the club, will become exaggerated as the pressure builds

Comment

I need to work more on getting a good split.... and i think a massive part for me is mental; it was the same with 50s; i had loads of 40s and then one day i made a 50 (took the wrong shot to make sure of it) the same week a had another and then they started coming naturally. Problem is now i get a good split when im on like 32 and suddenly think o god this is a good chance for a ton.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
              I will give 3 things

1. Stillness on the shot including bridge hand.
              2. Understand the importance of cue ball line (you don’t have to cue like ROS to make big breaks and be a dangerous player)
              3. Play each shot with conviction. What I mean by this is go into each shot with the mind set of pot it or miss it I am going to cue it positively and place emphasis on point 1
              Good advise, not to complicated and to the point. I try to do this all the time, mind set is not always there but getting better...
              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                seeing key shots is what makes a 50 breaker kick on

as for matchplay. all the little imperfections that are over looked in the club, will become exaggerated as the pressure builds
                the pockets oddly appear to get tighter!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by wootton05 View Post
                  Anything you feel players can do to improve their mind-set?
                  yes depends on the player really mind-set covers a number of areas

Motivation - Focus - Temperament - Confidence - all good areas to develop and improve - working on these bring the biggest rewards to any players game at any level I think.

Comment

Funny thing about these threads is When I first started playing people didn't analyse themselves technique wise as much as they do now. I used to live at the snooker club as a kid copy my favourite players and play and learn off the best players in the area whenever I could. I never saw a coach until I was about 16 and had made over 20 centuries by then. My point being is I see people come into the game now and they are more concerned about the perfect cue action like it's the Holy Grail when they can’t make a 20 break. In reality there is no substitute for learning and practicing the key shots and mastering them naturally first. As previously mentioned in this thread technique flaws are highlighted under extreme pressure that’s when a decent thought process is important. Most people on here just want to improve breaks made in practice with their mate so shot selection and cue ball knowledge is probably more the issue.

Comment

Enjoy the game ! Many of us get so hung up on technique that it becomes a chore, and lets be honest the enjoyment of the game becomes secondary we want to win and play well ! but this should never overshadow your love of the game, Snooker is very much a Love - Hate relationship.

Comment

I do love the game; and i do put the hours in... i didnt start until 13; played lots had many respectable breaks just not a ton (think this is mental for me).. at 18 went to uni and found it was easy to win beer/money at pool so didnt play snooker. I am now back playing and often play 30 hrs in a week. Its not practice im bothered about though it is about matchplay for me as that is what counts..... i place way too much pressure on myself in matches and i know i need to just relax and play my game but its easier said than done.

Comment

for me, i feel these 2 things help my game alot.
                          1)no wrist movement; no rocking, no rotation, no twisting. focus on the protruding bone at the wrist behind ur thumb. any movement, u will feel it there. by keeping it zero movement and opening of the last 2 fingers, it allows for the cue to move parallel on the drawback.

2) deliver the stroke by pushing toward where ur cue is lined up under the chin. this takes some practice to get used to. but if ur cue is lined up directly under ur chin, ur stroke/grip should move towards the chin. it will feel weird, since there is distance between chin and grip but through practise, u will learn not to cue across the chest and push straight down the line towards the chin.

there is a 3rd but this is untested. u know how some of us when shooting, the grip hits the chest. maybe u can put a nipple patch at the chest where ur grip hits. so u can focus on hitting the nipple patch, tat will mean ur grip ends up at the correct point on the chest. lol. just saying, it could work u know..

Comment

Maybe a nipple piercing, with a little bell attached?

Comment

For players new to the game I would say keep your head still.

Comment

a) ignore people who give coaching advice on internet forums.

b) spend 20 quid on a hour with a good coach.

c) see point a
                                #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Working...
                                X