A unique cue-Alder shaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
    It's a bit optimistic to state that any one timber produces the "best" shafts, as timber of the same species can be and often is so variable. For reasons which are fairly obvious, ash is favoured for the fact that it often yields the most suitable and readily available timber for cue shafts. Granted, there are dozens and dozens of timbers which can (and sometimes have) been used for cues shafts, but that in itself does not suggest any one particular wood is the best, right across the board. As you have written above, Andy claimed that to his knowledge, it's tricky to find a piece which is good enough for a cue shaft. How does this suggest it is best for cue shaft.? It doesn't.

The truth is simple, 100%. There is no "best" when it comes to timber for a cue shaft. This is a fact whether anyone wishes to believe it or not. Of course, there will be many opinions, but they will be opinions only and are not factually correct, provable or certain in any way.

Now, as for what makes the best cues, well to some extent this is so subjective that it's almost not worth discussing. But, for people who are cue enthusiasts, it will often be that a cue which is made from beautiful materials, such as exotic timbers of the most extraordinary figuring or colouring, put together with care and accuracy and then finished to the highest standards, are exactly the sort of thing that may be labelled the "best" of cues. Having said that, the aesthetic side of things is only part of the story as we know. The telling bit is really in the behaviour of a cue when its used. If the cue is not only fantastic to look at and handle, but is also fabulous to use and play with, then it can rightly be labelled as being amongst the best of what's available. Even so, this is still subjective to a fair degree.

Finally, as for any "haters", well there are those who will shout all sorts down without good reason, or even shout things down when there maybe is a reason, when it might be far better to say nothing and let things slide by. But, at the end of the day, anyone who knows enough about what makes a cue beautiful, whether that be in the performace of it, or the aesthetics of it, or both, definitely does understand the 'true meaning' of a lovely cue.

It's just not that complicated for people to get it. It's actually very simple.
    trevs1,i agree with you entirely.i should have re-worded the op differently and said alder"makes one of the best playing shafts" and not "the best" if you can find a suitable piece.Personaly my favourite is pear.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
      I llike it. Andy makes fantastic cues, i have two, both great players with that zola/messi rather than ronaldo/beckham twist, not great lookers but brilliant players. Was the cue expensive? I have no idea of cost of alder wood.
      Alder isnt dear its just very diffficult to find a piece good enough.I dont know what the cue is worth.it is unique though.
      As for this cue its definately a Peter Beardsley!

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
        Can only assume that the timber merchant must have thought he'd hit the jackpot when a chap comes in and says "I'd like to buy all der wood"
        lol,brilliant.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
          Alder isnt dear its just very diffficult to find a piece good enough.I dont know what the cue is worth.it is unique though.
          As for this cue its definately a Peter Beardsley!
          as I don't follow football that much,; can I ask is this good, bad, or, just not to everyone taste?
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            as I don't follow football that much,; can I ask is this good, bad, or, just not to everyone taste?
            Peter Beardsley was a decent player yet ugly as sin

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
              Kenny Dagleish's missus didnt think so haha
              :snooker: If you can't pot the pink - bury the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                cheers Leo
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Beardsley was a brilliant player but yeah he had a face like a bulldog licking pee off a nettle
                  It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                    I always said that about Kevin Muncasters cues, not the prettiest, but they didn't leave his workshop if they weren't great players. That said it is ugly and I know what you mean about the cheap BCE look, I've got a 2 piece I inherited from a previous careless owner, looks like a cross between ash and maple, but the day i inherited it I had the white on a string, lives in the boot now!
                    always were a bit industrial but great players. i remember kevin telling me somebody asked for 9.65 mm and he told them politely to bu66er off!
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

spec of this cue has andy written all over it but i am sure he will be the first to say there are lots of different woods that will make good shafts.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        spec of this cue has andy written all over it but i am sure he will be the first to say there are lots of different woods that will make good shafts.

+10 to that !!!

Comment

Had a mate who's an Ex-Amatuer come down the other weekend and with the multiple choice of cues he's required including many top brand cues he finds Andy's cue best suited him as he knocked in a 134 break with ease round mine.

I think it's one of those cues you've got to hit a ball with the cue to understand the quality of it.

Comment

The look could grow on me I think, nice bit of snakewood though. Playability is key though and if it has that then it sounds like you've got a lovely cue mate.
                            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                            X