The only way is Southend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only way is Southend

TWO Southend players dominated the second leg of the English Ranking Series at Woking Snooker Centre.

Sydney Wilson said the “highlight” was defeating his friend and practice partner Ryan Causton 5-1 in the final.

Wilson - who plays out of Stepfield Snooker Club in Witham, alongside professionals Allister Carter and Mark King - pocketed a cool £500. Causton was forced to settle for £250.

“I had a lot of very good wins against good players and I think I just found ‘my zone’ and focused throughout the whole tournament,” he said.

Indeed. The Essex cueman compiled a 107 break in the last-four and added a 104 in the final.

Meanwhile, leg-one winner Eden Sharav was knocked out 4-3 from 2-0 and 3-2 up in the last-16 by 22-year-old dad-to-be Billy Castle.

Castle, who lost 4-1 to Wilson in the next round, declared: “It’s all very exciting and it’ll be the best thing that’s happened to me.”

(Referring, no doubt, to the baby that he and wife Betsie are expecting in May rather than his win over the Scotland international.)

Londoner Wayne Townsend collected the £50 high-break prize for a 141 in his first match against Sonnie O’Sullivan (Aylesbury).

The third leg of six is at Cueball Derby on the weekend of December 6-7.

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

It is a surprise that the Stepfield is such a haven for elite snooker players - I think there are only 6 tables yet you have Ali, Mark King, Sydney Wilson and Liam Monk. Must be great to be a regular club player there, with all that talent on show with hints and potential coaching at your finger tips!

Comment

Hi there are you holding anymore competitions were ameatur players can participate?

Comment

Working...
      X