Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

Hi there,

My name is Cheney and I am 19, I was studying in York for 4 years and I started playing pool this January after getting my first cue from my roommate as a birthday present and started playing snooker this April. Once I played snooker I started falling in love with this game. I started looking for useful coaching material and self learning. I could only play 2 hours a week before July due to my A-level education and now I am a student in UCL. I go to Hurricane Room in Kings's Cross almost everyday alone recently. However, even I spent 2 hours a day train myself, I still can't improve much and my highest break is around 25-30 at the moment.

The only thing I concern about looking for a coach is the price. As an international student who is living in London, I already have to pay loads money on studying, living, and I was given £500 a month living fee from my parents. i looked at john's price, £25 an hour plus £6.5 an hour table fee in the club actually is quite expansive for me. If i practise 2 hours a day, it will cost me around £350 a month, however I really want to learn and just wondering if there is any nice package or idea for me, I want to learn and I really really love snooker.

I am eager to hear from you guys as i feel this website is really professional

Cheney

Coaching

if I recall John Wood sometimes coaches out of Hurricane rooms.
    maybe ask at the club
    don't know his rates sorry
    won't hurt to ask
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

save yourself a shed load of money and observe, find out where the good players are and just watch, you're a student so should have enough nous to soak somethink up

Comment

I will say, if you can't afford the money. Go play and make a Video of yourself. That is easy to do with your mobile!!!
        Upload the video here. There are many coaches and members here, such as J6/Vmax/Stu/Terry and..other members who can guide and advise you. If you see ,, that doesn't work, then go looking for a Coach. This way save you a lot of money.watching good players is also a good idea (as Golferson mentioned).
        btw,, I'm not a coach. This was only my opinion.
        I wish you luck

Comment

I can only echo what golferson has suggested and watch decent players,this will give you a a great insight on approach, technique etc. it's fine people giving you advice on here but it honestly won't work until you know the basics

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            if I recall John Wood sometimes coaches out of Hurricane rooms.
            maybe ask at the club
            don't know his rates sorry
            won't hurt to ask
            oops sorry
            I assume the John you mention is John Wood

no offence Leo, but for a beginner to get "the basics" I feel that a coach in a one to one scenario is the best and quickest way to progress.
            your view is for such players not to see a coach, mine is to see a coach
            different strokes
            not that I am saying to see coach (say) every week but maybe one session to "get the basics" right and then move on and find better players to watch and play and "find" their problem areas

Comment

Hi Cheney, I've been around the university snooker scene for a little while now and you might find this information useful. UCL has had a few decent players in the past however as the sport was virtually non existent there they joined the much larger club that ICL runs. I know they have coaching sessions very regularly at a discounted price for members. I would suggest looking into this!

Comment

Coaching

chen - before deciding what to do just put the reds spread on the table (none near the cushions) and pot away. Any ball any pocket,get used to the angles on a snooker table and enjoy

just seen Rogi's post - good info that

Comment

I forgot to mention the club has its own snooker tables with unlimited access for members also I believe the coach they use is john woods.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    oops sorry
                    I assume the John you mention is John Wood

no offence Leo, but for a beginner to get "the basics" I feel that a coach in a one to one scenario is the best and quickest way to progress.
                    your view is for such players not to see a coach, mine is to see a coach
                    different strokes
                    not that I am saying to see coach (say) every week but maybe one session to "get the basics" right and then move on and find better players to watch and play and "find" their problem areas
                    You're right dean, as i have said on many occasions on here get one of the decent players at a club to supervise the shot and they will point whoever in the right direction

Comment

Not sure why you would need a coach for such duration, totally agree a lesson to get the basics right and then a follow up soon after? John Wood is a good coach and like most other coaches offers small group sessions where the rate is divided among the number of participants, this could be an option.

Comment

Hi mate,

I'm 18 and have just got in to snooker.

I went and had a lesson with John at Kings Cross a little while ago, he was excellent and I felt well worth the money.

I have yet to return to him due to just starting a new job and it being reasonably stressful, however I will be going back to him without a doubt.

As Tariq says above, if you would be interested in doing some joint lessons I would be happy to do that. I can text John and see if he minds although I can't see a reason why that would be a problem.

Also, if you are with John on the table you don't have to pay the table fee. That way you will be paying around 6 pounds more for that hour of table time, but with a grade A snooker coach as well! Doesn't seem to bad to me! We could then stay on and have a few games at 3 pounds an hour each!

Hope that keeps costs manageable, and I would love to start playing with new people as there is only so much practice you can do on your own for hours on end before you just want to play a match.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X