Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brown ebony cue - colour fading - does it mean its fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brown ebony cue - colour fading - does it mean its fake?

Hi Guys,

I bought a "Woods" cue off eBay two months ago, now the butt starts fading, they stated brown ebony in the listing when i bought it. is it normal? how can i tell if its fake? also how can i get it fixed? thanks
    Last edited by john1964; 21 October 2014, 02:09 PM.

They usually dye brown ebony black to make it appear like black ebony perhaps it is this that is coming off to reveal the brown ebony.

Comment

I use a woods cue for pool and have the same problem although I don't let it get to me as it still plays pretty well.

Comment

Most woods cues have either dyed or painted black butt over brown wood to simulate ebony and to make it look better.
        Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
          Most woods cues have either dyed or painted black butt over brown wood to simulate ebony and to make it look better.
          i tried to make a complaint through ebay, but not allowed to do that as its over 45 days, this really sucks, i feel so foolish, paid in good faith for a brown ebony cue and in fact a dyed black cue over some cheap wood!!!! they also lied about their location, it said the item location is United Kingdom and the cue came from China, i should have made the complaint right away,really regret it. is there any way to get it sorted out?

Comment

Can you do it through PayPal ? For faulty goods, I wouldn't hold my breath, but it may be worth a try. Or if you paid by credit card they may offer some sort of protection.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

All you can do is learn from it, the old saying you get what you pay for I'm afraid! 2 options, French polish the butt or using white spirit strip it back to brown, they can come up quite nice, and you won't have to keep re blacking it.
              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Does it play ok?, if it does and it was cheap, I wouldn't let it bother me, just enjoy playing with it.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Ive had cues like that made from brown ebony. When ive stripped them back they've contained filler to hide bad grain or faults in the wood. The black dye they use to overstain them gives them a nice looking finish. If you strip it back you may get lucky and have a nice brown ebony butt to look at or ...........
                  "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I also have a Woods and currently still playing with it. Had the same small issue with John, ordered extension but shipping information was from Malaysia and not Canada or UK. Emailed Kent to enquire but no replies yet. He was pretty prompt in replies when I was asking but after payment, its totally different.
                    Last edited by x3dnd3x; 22 October 2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by john1964 View Post
                      Hi Guys,

I bought a "Woods" cue off eBay two months ago, now the butt starts fading, they stated brown ebony in the listing when i bought it. is it normal? how can i tell if its fake? also how can i get it fixed? thanks

You have definitely been conned, you can not do anything about it if it's over 45 days unless you paid by credit card and you might be able to file a chargeback claim. otherwise you will have to accept it and learn from it. by the way, did you pay any import tax on that? Just curious.

Comment

John, any pictures of it?

Comment

Its not a con, the wood is brown ebony which is then stained to enhance the look, you wouldn't say having dark grained ash is a con, but its stained to enhance the appearance. If it plays well what difference does it make?!

Comment

Working...
                          X