single ball safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single ball safety

Guys i always struggle to get a single ball safe and this is costing me so much frames. I dont know why but the ball keeps landing over the pocket all the time.

Are there any routines or other advice to improve in that area?

Play frames against yourself, mixing safety and attacking

Put as much emphasise into the path the object ball will take as you do for the cue balls path

Comment

I once watched the pros doing coaching during a break in the world champs, and they said concentrate on getting the object ball safe as this was more important, no point having the White tight on a cush but the ob drifting over a pocket, but the ob ball tight on a cush and the White slightly out of position isn't so much of a problem.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
        Play frames against yourself, mixing safety and attacking

Put as much emphasise into the path the object ball will take as you do for the cue balls path
        This is sound advise. It shouldn't be too hard to hit the object ball just hard enough that it rests near the middle of a cushion. As long as it's within a inch or two of a cushion it's going to be a hard shot to pot in any pocket even if the white is close to it.

One thing that has improved in leaps and bounds is my safety play and that's because I play this old guy at my club who not only is a good potter but is a great safety player. I've learnt tons off him and he doesn't mind me asking questions about the best way to play the shot. See if you can get to play someone who is really good as safety and become their friend.

Comment

Thanks guys but it is hard especially when the object ball is tight on the cushion. Losing so many frames is just frustrating

Comment

Set the shot up that you can't do, and play 50 of them until you work out what do to with it.
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              Set the shot up that you can't do, and play 50 of them until you work out what do to with it.
              That is quality. I really like that idea.

Comment

Put the cue ball and black on the table and play a black ball game against yourself you will be surprised how thin you have to aim, by doing this you will get used to playing shots without hardly moving the object ball..................
                Originally Posted by svendh View Post
                Guys i always struggle to get a single ball safe and this is costing me so much frames. I dont know why but the ball keeps landing over the pocket all the time.

Are there any routines or other advice to improve in that area?

Comment

Working...
                X