Complete beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete beginners

I have been asked to coach some complete beginners, here, as an extra curricular activity.

Does anybody have any ideas or tips on what to do with them?
    王可

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    I have been asked to coach some complete beginners, here, as an extra curricular activity.

Does anybody have any ideas or tips on what to do with them?
    ,, sorry but I can'nt follow this. you are asked to coaching other players, but you do'nt know what to do? I mean ,, are you coach? player? or ..... I hope you do'nt mind me asking this !!! . can you please explain your request better. because if a coach here on The forum wants to give you som advice ,, , I assume he would like to know about yourself more.

Comment

I am sorry if my original post was unclear.

I have some experience of playing over many years. As a result of that I have been asked to run an after school snooker activity. There will be maybe 4 students along to learn a bit about the game. I could just get them playing from the outset but would like to try to help them to improve. So what would be a sensible way of approaching things? Do I start with getting them playing a game? Should I start with cueing? I don't want them to get bored by keeping getting them doing all exercises but no games. I want them to improve so not just be smashing balls around the table.

I plan to start them off on my 10' table which I have in the lounge here. If that is a success we might migrate to one of the full size tables in the gym. I thought a 10' might be a bit less intimidating for them at first.
      王可

Comment

Complete beginners

Hi Philip

If you can drop me an email I can help you with some ideas, activities and sessions.

email me at stuart@stuartgrahamcoaching.co.uk
        On Cue Facebook Page
        Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
        Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Best would be to point them to a real coach. You might ruin them before they even begin.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            Best would be to point them to a real coach. You might ruin them before they even begin.
            I suppose I might. Perhaps it's all too much trouble.
            Last edited by philip in china; 20 October 2014, 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
            王可

Comment

Philip:

When you have a beginner student you have to start out with teaching them the basic technique. The best book I've found for that is the one by Joe Davis but it is long out of print and might be difficult to find. There are other good books around on basic technique and there are also good DVDs around, like Nic Barrow's 10 DVD set which starts with the very basics.

Barring that then I would think the next place you can look is right here by plugging stance, grip, technique, drills, etc. into the search box and seeing what you find. Probably best to have a basic lesson plan (since you're a teacher) with different titles referring to basic technique and depending on how much time you have you can get them to the point where they can hit the ball over the spots nice and slow so they can get the idea of actually delivering the cue.

If you feel a little daunted by all this then as has been said see if you can find a local coach who would be willing to come in and give some lessons.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

stuarts work is very good so if you work with him he'll give you more than enough to entertain these students of yours for now.
                don't get to overwhelmed and just show them what you do. in a way you don't really have to show beginners that much to start with as long as they're having fun and can hit the white ball and pot a few balls, and that's it get them potting

Comment

I envy these snooker coaches because Ive tried to teach someone and learned that i didn't have the patience.

Comment

What age are they Philip?, I think that could make a difference to how you go about things. Stupree should sort you out, He's helped me in the past with some very good advice.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thank you for the kind words chaps, very humbled
                      On Cue Facebook Page

Comment

They are about 15 to 17. I will take a group of 4.

Thank you for all the help received so far here and by PM.

BTW this has absolutely nothing to do with my set up in Europe.
                        王可

Comment

Complete beginners

I emailed you some guidance and a session pack to get you started. Let me know how you get on if you choose to give it a go.

Thanks

Stu
                          On Cue Facebook Page

Comment

I shall give it a go and will follow your advice. First session is Tuesday afternoon so expect news soon after that.
                            王可

Comment

Working...
                            X