Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is going to win the 2019 World Championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Robertson had not won the China Open he would have been my pick for the World Champion by the way.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
      If Robertson had not won the China Open he would have been my pick for the World Champion by the way.
      That's some strange logic for sure

Comment

Love these posts you do every year. It must take you ages, especially for the lower/mid tiers, but the stuff you write is very reasonable.

My money (metaphorically) is on Robbo to at least make the final. Ronnie, Judd and Ding to bottle it at some point. Bingham to do his usual crucible warrior shenanigans.

Still hoping for an underdog surprise from one of the younger players but they seem to be rarer these days.

Comment

I hope to see a world champion who hasn´t won it before, which to me make Ding and Trump the most possible.

I expect as many others the world champion to be found between O´Sullivan, Robertson and Trump. And I can´t decide who to vote for.
          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Since the China Open has been staged directly before the World Championship, it’s been rare for a player to win the World Championship and China Open back to back. Mark Selby is the only player to have managed it. Aside from that John Higgins won the WC after being runner up in 2009 and Trump was runner up in the WC after winning the China Open in 2011.

It may just be that it’s rare to win back to back tournaments anyhow, but it’s still a worthwhile consideration. Maybe it has something to do with the travel.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              It's just pretty rare that players win two (ranking) tournaments in a row. You can't afford to have a weak day in around ten matches and that's still very tough. It's also because the concentration of class at the top of the game has been pretty high in recent years. One day you beat one of the top players, but most of the time you don't beat them regularly. Small things decide in which direction a match goes and you can't count on always having the advantage in those things.
              Also it's pretty tough to keep your own top level over a longer period of time. It might go with two small events in a row, but with the China Open and the World Championship you have to keep your form for one month. As csmith stated in recent times only Selby did this double in 2017. And even before Ding in the 2013/14 season was the last player to even win two ranking events in a row with the India Open and the International Championship.

Having said this I think that the level at the top of the game isn't as high this year as in other recent years and it's more likely for Robertson to pull of this feat.

Comment

Okay, thanks for voting everyone. :smile:

Looks like I should have limited the poll options to only the really big favourites this year, as we've never had so many players without a single vote. Okay, only 44 people have voted so far (we had over a hundred in some of the previous years), but even so, I didn't expect the three big favourites to get such an overwhelming majority of the votes. Mark Allen on 0 votes is particularly surprising to me, as he's arguably been the fourth most successful player of the season. Anyway, should be fun to see how it all plays out. :smile:

Comment

The most surprising thing is maybe, that Mark Williams hasn´t got a single vote. He has started beeing unserious again but still it´s quite amazing.
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

A second consecutive win for Williams would be great to see but it is unlikely to happen. I do feel age isn’t on Mark’s side but i thought that last year so who knows. Robertson is a major contender although I don’t want him to win. For me I would love to see Selby lift the trophy again but he will have to improve greatly to stand any chance.

Comment

Don't care who wins , as long as it isn't Carter , Trump , Allen or Lisowski ………...in that order

Are we going to have an un-fancied winner this year , rather than the usual names . I would assume that the cream will rise to the top during the 2nd week .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                        Okay, only 44 people have voted so far
                        I haven't voted 'cos my answer for the worlds is generakky "Could be anyone!"

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                          I haven't voted 'cos my answer for the worlds is generakky "Could be anyone!"
                          You could always vote for Brecel, he looks kind of sad on 0 votes... :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                            You could always vote for Brecel, he looks kind of sad on 0 votes... :smile:
                            That's one of the few people I can always be sure won't win it even before he plays! Very confident Ding will never win it, but in a tournament that can produce a Dott-Ebdon final, who on Earth knows?
                            Last edited by gavpowell; 24 April 2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I voted Robertson, he's looked really focused in recent tournaments.
                              I said to my friend that I play snooker with that my double tip for the World Championship was Robertson to win and Bingham to get a 147. It looked like Bingham was well on the way to a 147 yesterday until he missed the 13th red.

Comment

Working...
                              X