Another "Black plate" magically appears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I have no idea why snooker cue makers don't bother with inlay work like American pool cue makers do, seems to be a lack of vision. It's all just another splice, then maybe a splice, and perhaps a veneer if you want to be extra fancy. I'd prefer a CNC turned cue with some nice inlay work to be honest, but I do like the look of handmade splices.
    Cue makers are also governed by their market.....
    If most people just want splices, it would be dead money to spend on CNC machines to do inlays..

Some of us can do them but for me, it's because of my background with antique furniture....
    I'm sure if the market asked for inlays, makers would supply cues with it...
    I sure would.
    For that one you've always wanted...
    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

I wouldn't, it's a tool to be used for potting balls not for putting in a glass case. To craft something that maybe one day someone will make a max with is my dream.
      Personally I don't see the craft in this, and although the final product is excellently finished the cue is made up of too many pieces to have any individuality apart from aesthetics.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        I wouldn't, it's a tool to be used for potting balls not for putting in a glass case. To craft something that maybe one day someone will make a max with is my dream.
        Personally I don't see the craft in this, and although the final product is excellently finished the cue is made up of too many pieces to have any individuality apart from aesthetics.
        Totally agree, and that is without my thought that this is really a load of fat white blokes wielding bits of wood decorated in the fashion of the Native Americans.

Comment

Just my opinion but pool cues look hideous, really cheap and nasty but I don't like the over spliced snooker cues either.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Just my opinion but pool cues look hideous, really cheap and nasty but I don't like the over spliced snooker cues either.
            Yup, its more of a "look at me" kind of thing going on, not a fan of cues like that.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
              Cue makers are also governed by their market.....
              If most people just want splices, it would be dead money to spend on CNC machines to do inlays..

Some of us can do them but for me, it's because of my background with antique furniture....
              I'm sure if the market asked for inlays, makers would supply cues with it...
              I sure would.
              All true, however the American pool market has evolved and grown. The Plain Jane custom cue (Guess how many inlays / splices this type of cue had?) and the sneak Pete cues were what the market dictated... Then for some reason the forearm of the cue became a focal point of creativity.

So yes, there was a market for it but at the same time the market was driven by innovation.
              Maybe the snooker cue is destined to forever remain the same, but I come from a product design background so I am driven by innovation and therefore always on the look out for the next step in cue making.
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                All true, however the American pool market has evolved and grown. The Plain Jane custom cue (Guess how many inlays / splices this type of cue had?) and the sneak Pete cues were what the market dictated... Then for some reason the forearm of the cue became a focal point of creativity.

So yes, there was a market for it but at the same time the market was driven by innovation.
                Maybe the snooker cue is destined to forever remain the same, but I come from a product design background so I am driven by innovation and therefore always on the look out for the next step in cue making.
                You are right in saying years ago there was a lot more choice..
                I even bidded on an old market recovered cue that had some missing, right down my street to repair but missed out on it..

I understand your thinking but for what it would cost to test doing something new and next to no one wants it..
                Pushing design is no good if none will buy it!

My background is from antiques, where people pushed design all the time, which seems old now..
                All the same, you can't beat the skills learned making our working on it and more so at the top end of the market, were I worked..

Comment

I once played a £5000 Martin acoustic guitar, it was absolutely beautiful up close, all the dots and trim on the fretboard were absolutely gorgeous. Lovely blue mother of pearl, and it sounded amazing. But from about 20 feet away it just looked like any other acoustic guitar, that's what I would want from an expensive cue.

Comment

Cue makers could at least do something with their badges so that isn't easily copied.

Comment

Cue makers could at least do something with their badges so that isn't easily copied.
                      What ever you do, if there is money in it, it will get copied.
                      Plus it's a lot of the old cues being copied now and it wasn't something you had to worry about them!

Seen the same thing with antiques and if someone is good, it can be real hard to tell...

Comment

I once played a £5000 Martin acoustic guitar, it was absolutely beautiful up close, all the dots and trim on the fretboard were absolutely gorgeous. Lovely blue mother of pearl, and it sounded amazing. But from about 20 feet away it just looked like any other acoustic guitar, that's what I would want from an expensive cue.
                        One of my custom pool cues is exactly this. From a distance it looks like a club cue which was intentional by design. It's not until the user is close and picks it up that an appreciation of the artistry gone into making the cue can really be seen.

By the way. 99.9% of American pool cues makers pride themselves on the philosophy that form follows function. So all their cues truly play magnificently. My main playing cue weighs in at 21oz which is the heaviest cue I own. But in my hands it feels lighter than any cue I own, such is the true balance and feel of the cue. It's a science that I do not understand but quite happy to pay for it.
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                          One of my custom pool cues is exactly this. From a distance it looks like a club cue which was intentional by design. It's not until the user is close and picks it up that an appreciation of the artistry gone into making the cue can really be seen.

By the way. 99.9% of American pool cues makers pride themselves on the philosophy that form follows function. So all their cues truly play magnificently. My main playing cue weighs in at 21oz which is the heaviest cue I own. But in my hands it feels lighter than any cue I own, such is the true balance and feel of the cue. It's a science that I do not understand but quite happy to pay for it.
                          So what you're saying is it's forward balanced lol.
                          Still far too heavy for snooker that, I think 19oz is about as far as most would want to go.
                          Personally I hate the inlays on the pool cues, the idea of them does nothing for me

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Still far too heavy for snooker that, I think 19oz is about as far as most would want to go.
                            Personally I hate the inlays on the pool cues, the idea of them does nothing for me
                            Each to there own and all markets differ.
                            National Snooker Expo
                            25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              I believe Jimmy White used to use a 21oz cue in his heyday.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                I believe Jimmy White used to use a 21oz cue in his heyday.
                                Heavier / slower cloths and less reactive balls back then Terry - conditions are far easier now - hence the glut of big breaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X