Doing the Turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the Turtle

Yep doing the turtle, a highly technical term First off I'm a bit of a lump and have been known to be heavy handed on occasions. Add on top of that a slightly stressful job. The problem I have is when I go to strike the cue ball it's like a invisible force is stopping me. I can feel massive tension in my arms & shoulders etc and cannot seem to strike the cue ball. My head and upper body literally move forward as if I'm willing the cue ball to play the shot for me. From a spectators view this looks hilarious and I've had a mate in stitches regularly when we've played. The more stressed I am the worse it seems to get. The grip of my back hand tends to be right on the edge of the butt and occasionally my little finger sits directly on the bottom of the cue. It seems maybe I have a death grip on the cue? Someone else mentioned they thought my cue was too short for me. It's just over 56" and I'm 6"2. My bridge hand I tend to have the arm fairly straight and close to the cue ball. I saw another thread on grip and Terry Davidson mentioned a forefinger grip. I may give that a try and see if theres any change.

At 6' 2" i would of thought a 58" (min) cue would be more suitable for you ?
    But it sounds like you have the "yips" ?? where you cannot let go of the cue, someone else will need to offer help on that tho as i have no idea why it happens

Comment

Definitely switch to a 58" cue. As for the 'yips' you seem to have, you MUST get to a grip which is loose. Try the first or second finger and have the other fingers loose and the thumb applying no pressure and this should relieve the tension you are feeling.

A sure test on grip pressure recommended by Steve Davis...grip the cue as your normally do and then with the other hand try and slide the cue through the grip without loosening it. The cue should slide easily and this grip pressure should be maintained until AFTER the cueball has been struck.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Definitely switch to a 58" cue. As for the 'yips' you seem to have, you MUST get to a grip which is loose. Try the first or second finger and have the other fingers loose and the thumb applying no pressure and this should relieve the tension you are feeling.

A sure test on grip pressure recommended by Steve Davis...grip the cue as your normally do and then with the other hand try and slide the cue through the grip without loosening it. The cue should slide easily and this grip pressure should be maintained until AFTER the cueball has been struck.
        I'm going through this at the moment and trying things.

I have a really loose grip at the moment and hitting from the elbow. Still struggling a little but here and there but a lot better.

Am also trying to reduce the backswing as it occurs about 3/4 of the way back. As the backswing is reduced I am concentrating on the pause and pushing all the way through lightly.

Been going about 5 weeks now and it better but still working on it!!
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

I have a really loose grip at the moment and hitting from the elbow. Still struggling a little but here and there but a lot better.

Am also trying to reduce the backswing as it occurs about 3/4 of the way back. As the backswing is reduced I am concentrating on the pause and pushing all the way through lightly.

In actual fact a longer backswing is better as it gives you more options, however a lot of players find it difficult to backswing exactly straight on a longer backswing. Also, remember to accelerate the cue well beyond the strike rather than going through lightly. It should be a 'punch' or a 'drive'.

Remember Del Hills' words, 'are you a pecker or a driver?'
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            At 6' 2" i would of thought a 58" (min) cue would be more suitable for you ?
            But it sounds like you have the "yips" ?? where you cannot let go of the cue, someone else will need to offer help on that tho as i have no idea why it happens
            I was thnking 60" but then how much is too much? and what would be the negatives?

Never heard of the "yips" but sounds right. Death grip on cue like each shot is about to win me a world title or a 147 Thanks for reply

Comment

Seems like my hunt for a new cue is about to start up again. Yep looks like my grip is definitely wrong. I seem to have it in my head to squeeze my grip hand closed on delivering the cue. I think it was watching Barry Stark that put it in my head. Obviously I'm trying to crush the butt end when I deliver the cue. Back to the drawing board and I will give the first finger grip a go. Never heard that grip pressure tip before. I gave it a go briefly and strted a tug of war between my hands On the baize Wednesday hopefully so shall report back after. Thanks for taking the time Terry.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

I wish I had a loose grip. I thought about reducing my backswing to hopefully reduce the amount of movement when addressing the cue ball. Work in progress, fingers crossed for both of us and stay loose

Comment

Originally Posted by Dredd46 View Post
                  Seems like my hunt for a new cue is about to start up again. Yep looks like my grip is definitely wrong. I seem to have it in my head to squeeze my grip hand closed on delivering the cue. I think it was watching Barry Stark that put it in my head. Obviously I'm trying to crush the butt end when I deliver the cue. Back to the drawing board and I will give the first finger grip a go. Never heard that grip pressure tip before. I gave it a go briefly and strted a tug of war between my hands On the baize Wednesday hopefully so shall report back after. Thanks for taking the time Terry.
                  Yes, keep it loose. See the next string where I will try and describe the grip I've recently developed which seems to do it for me. (called 'Timing'.)
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

In actual fact a longer backswing is better as it gives you more options, however a lot of players find it difficult to backswing exactly straight on a longer backswing. Also, remember to accelerate the cue well beyond the strike rather than going through lightly. It should be a 'punch' or a 'drive'.

Remember Del Hills' words, 'are you a pecker or a driver?'
                    Exactly that Terry. When I'm twitchy the cue doesn't come back straight.

When I watched Del's video I figured I was a pecker and certainly played like one!

Comment

I wish I had a loose grip. I thought about reducing my backswing to hopefully reduce the amount of movement when addressing the cue ball. Work in progress, fingers crossed for both of us and stay loose
                      Playing loose certsinly helps me. I go through a shirt practice routine prior to any session knocking long blues in until I find that timing and grip pressure as I constantly need reminding.

Comment

Yes, keep it loose. See the next string where I will try and describe the grip I've recently developed which seems to do it for me. (called 'Timing'.)
                        Tried your grip at my next session Terry. I was a little worried the cue might fly across the room Happy to report it didn't though and my cueing was alot smoother. Seems I underestimated how tight my grip was. Now if only I knew what I was doing in regards to everything else, I might pot a ball

2nd session last week and was hoping for more of a improvement. Still suffering from the yips which is annoying. Chin not staying down on cue and head/upper body leaning forward as I take shot. Fellow member noticed my cue was alot sticker then his. Which I have to admit too after trying his cue. Something else I'll have to look in to. 3rd session tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Comment

Dredd you may have a point about your cue being sticky, it really affects my cueing if I kind of have to push my cue through my bridge hand rather than it just sliding through under its own momentum. I've never had the yips so I can't say how much this would hinder you but I certainly don't like it.
                          Have you tried playing with your eyes shut, ( practice not in a match lol) it lets you concentrate on cueing and because you can't see the cue ball it helps you cue through it much more relaxed as you can't see the contact coming so there is no build up of tension. Try it, even for a few shots and see if you cue smoother and stay a lot stiller.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            Dredd you may have a point about your cue being sticky, it really affects my cueing if I kind of have to push my cue through my bridge hand rather than it just sliding through under its own momentum. I've never had the yips so I can't say how much this would hinder you but I certainly don't like it.
                            Have you tried playing with your eyes shut, ( practice not in a match lol) it lets you concentrate on cueing and because you can't see the cue ball it helps you cue through it much more relaxed as you can't see the contact coming so there is no build up of tension. Try it, even for a few shots and see if you cue smoother and stay a lot stiller.
                            I'm a bit of a lump so super heat pretty fast and the air con in my club does bugger all unless your standing underneath it. My cue started squeaking through my bridge hand and pushing the cue through I could see it going all over the place. As for the yips its a bloody nightmare. Massive build up of tension and stop myself from striking the cue ball. Then I decide to push through byt which time my head is up and leaning forward as i'm cueing willing the object ball forward. I'm sure it looks hilarious but its really starting to get on my nerves now. I'm kicking my own backside, never mind who i'm playing. Will give the eyes closed a go and see how I get on.

Comment

I'm a bit of a lump so super heat pretty fast and the air con in my club does bugger all unless your standing underneath it. My cue started squeaking through my bridge hand and pushing the cue through I could see it going all over the place. As for the yips its a bloody nightmare. Massive build up of tension and stop myself from striking the cue ball. Then I decide to push through byt which time my head is up and leaning forward as i'm cueing willing the object ball forward. I'm sure it looks hilarious but its really starting to get on my nerves now. I'm kicking my own backside, never mind who i'm playing. Will give the eyes closed a go and see how I get on.
                              Bernhard Langer must have written stuff about how he got over his - or at least spoken about it in interviews.

Crossed\Closed eyes, pretty much the same thing, imho.

Or (and apologies for repeatedly posting this link, but I think that it is rather good re plan, approach and hit) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQ8AOLGFxE give the reds either side of the "black spot" a go, then scatter some balls and pot in the same way ie get behind line, approach and fire - you'll be amazed how many go in. I gave it a go with no back swing ie cue hand already back.....

Comment

Working...
                              X