New cue makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
    Modern game players want this heavier cue for better power and firmness. But if we look at it from different perspectives, with faster clothes and lighter balls as compared to the old days, do we really need a heavier cue except for that weighty feel? The power associated with heavy cues is really quite unnecessary in modern day game and condition.
    Of course, it's really your own preference and ideology with regards to this thinking.
    Are balls lighter? Phelonic resin balls were picked because they were the closest to Ivory balls they could produce, and are pretty much the same weight as crystalate and super crystalate balls, my TCs are the same weight as my super crystalate set.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Modern game players want this heavier cue for better power and firmness. But if we look at it from different perspectives, with faster clothes and lighter balls as compared to the old days, do we really need a heavier cue except for that weighty feel? The power associated with heavy cues is really quite unnecessary in modern day game and condition.
      Of course, it's really your own preference and ideology with regards to this thinking.
      It may not be needed but feel is all important and some will not get the same feel with a lighter cue...
      You are right in saying it's about preferences and how the game how changed, so have the cues with it.
      For that one you've always wanted...
      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Are balls lighter? Phelonic resin balls were picked because they were the closest to Ivory balls they could produce, and are pretty much the same weight as crystalate and super crystalate balls, my TCs are the same weight as my super crystalate set.
        Not absolutely sure about this but I think the older super crystalate balls of the 80s were heavier. But the super precision clothes of today definitely makes the ball move so much faster as ascertained by all the former pros during commentary.

Comment

Not absolutely sure about this but I think the older super crystalate balls of the 80s were heavier. But the super precision clothes of today definitely makes the ball move so much faster as ascertained by all the former pros during commentary.
          I recently played against someone with my TC Balls, and she said that her (I assume much) older set were heavier.

Comment

Crystalate balls were heavier than the super crystalates that replaced them in 1973. The PR balls are the same weight as the supers; my set of supers are between 141 and 143 grammes with the blue sticking out like a sore thumb at 144 yet because they have far less surface friction than the PR balls and don't kick unless they're dirty, you don't notice the weight variance.

Those 1g sets of PR balls didn't solve the kicks issue, neither did finer and finer cloths. I would love to see Ronnie play with a set of supers on a modern table with a super fine cloth, I doubt if he'd miss a ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Crystalate balls were heavier than the super crystalates that replaced them in 1973. The PR balls are the same weight as the supers; my set of supers are between 141 and 143 grammes with the blue sticking out like a sore thumb at 144 yet because they have far less surface friction than the PR balls and don't kick unless they're dirty, you don't notice the weight variance.

Those 1g sets of PR balls didn't solve the kicks issue, neither did finer and finer cloths. I would love to see Ronnie play with a set of supers on a modern table with a super fine cloth, I doubt if he'd miss a ball.
              Thanks for that Vmax, I didn't know Crystalate balls were heavier. Do you know what they weighed in at, on average.

Comment

On a side issue, is it better for the white ball to be heavier than the rest of the balls or just the average? Does it affect the reaction greatly if hit against a slightly heavier ball if it's the average? I am of the thought that it should be slightly heavier than the heaviest ball in that set. Thanks for any feedback. Cheers

Comment

If it's heavier it will want to carry on with the momentum of the shot more, so screw shots will be more difficult, vice versa if it's lighter. How much difference a gram or 2 makes I don't know.

Comment

On a side issue, is it better for the white ball to be heavier than the rest of the balls or just the average? Does it affect the reaction greatly if hit against a slightly heavier ball if it's the average? I am of the thought that it should be slightly heavier than the heaviest ball in that set. Thanks for any feedback. Cheers
                    Funny you ask that, today I took my TC cue ball and used it with the club balls, it felt just like playing with my set of TCs. Normally the club cue ball bounces off the others on just about every shot, it's very hard to know what the hell its going to react like but today with my cue ball it was great, it was that good I have left my cue ball in my locker and will just play with that , it will save me from having to lug my set around all the time. I don't know if anyone else has tried this.

Comment

Funny you ask that, today I took my TC cue ball and used it with the club balls, it felt just like playing with my set of TCs. Normally the club cue ball bounces off the others on just about every shot, it's very hard to know what the hell its going to react like but today with my cue ball it was great, it was that good I have left my cue ball in my locker and will just play with that , it will save me from having to lug my set around all the time. I don't know if anyone else has tried this.
                      I guess the club cue ball was lighter than the rest of the balls which caused it to sort of bounce off on contact with heavier ones. If the cue call is lighter, you will be able to screw back like Jimmy White as the cue ball will spin backwards at a very fast rate on impact with a heavier object ball but will be the reverse when top follow ball is used. That's what happens if the cue ball is very much lighter than the object balls.
                      Which is why I asked the earlier question. For me, I feel we should use the same weight cue ball as the heaviest of the box of balls.
                      Thanks for all the feedback so far. Cheers

Comment

I guess the club cue ball was lighter than the rest of the balls which caused it to sort of bounce off on contact with heavier ones. If the cue call is lighter, you will be able to screw back like Jimmy White as the cue ball will spin backwards at a very fast rate on impact with a heavier object ball but will be the reverse when top follow ball is used. That's what happens if the cue ball is very much lighter than the object balls.
                        Which is why I asked the earlier question. For me, I feel we should use the same weight cue ball as the heaviest of the box of balls.
                        Thanks for all the feedback so far. Cheers
                        Is that because the cue ball wears down faster than all the others, that you think it should be the heaviest to begin with?

Comment

Thanks for that Vmax, I didn't know Crystalate balls were heavier. Do you know what they weighed in at, on average.
                          Sorry I don't but I know they contained powdered cows shin bone whereas the supers are a pure chemical resin.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                            Is that because the cue ball wears down faster than all the others, that you think it should be the heaviest to begin with?

No it doesn't lose weight but does lose it's smooth surface and chalk sticks to it very easily and you get more bad contacts.

Comment

Working...
                            X