New to snooker, want to learn good fundamentals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to snooker, want to learn good fundamentals

Hi. I live in the US, and am interested in learning a little more about snooker.
    Mostly fundamentals of stance, sighting, pre shot routine, etc.

Pool is more popular here in the US, and though I love pool, the pockets are buckets. Also the tables are small compared to snooker tables.

As such I think snooker players have developed a betting shooting style due to much tougher playing conditions. On a 7' x3.5' table with 5.5 inch pockets technique doesn't seem to be paramount to people.

I played pool about 8 years, and just started playing again a few months ago after a 15 year hiatus. (Terrible I might add)

I have been watching Barry Stark's videos the last few weeks and would like to take good snooker fundamentals to the pool table.

There are no snooker tables in the town I live, though I hope to buy one in a few years, I have played snooker and cushion billiards a few times in the past, but mostly pool.

Five an half inch pockets! Bloody hell, that's no challenge. Welcome to a game that will challenge you and be Much more rewarding.
    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

The bar tables are mostly big pockets and small in length and width, I guess to accommodate people drinking, haha .
      Pool is dead here these days, nothing on tv, 2001 it started getting less popular. Is snooker seen a decline in interest in the last 15 years?

There is 1 place in my town that has a 4.5"x9 with 5' inch pockets. That is my fav table lol

Comment

In my first post I meant to say snooker players have a better shooting style than pool players, not betting. Although I would bet on a snooker player anyday over a pool player.
        I can't edit my 1st post, I would guess because I am a new member, or am I just not seeing the button for that?

Comment

Originally Posted by eihi View Post
          In my first post I meant to say snooker players have a better shooting style than pool players, not betting. Although I would bet on a snooker player anyday over a pool player.
          If you follow the news from World Snooker I think you were right first time :biggrin:

I can't edit my 1st post, I would guess because I am a new member, or am I just not seeing the button for that?
          There are various functions that are restricted until you have a post count of over 10 (Newbie folder posts don't count :wink and then wait for the system to update.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Try getting hold of either Joe Davis how I play snooker book or Frank Callans book, both have excellent introductions to the basics along with more advanced stuff
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Dean.. Are you a betting man? I am 35 and started gambling for fun this year, mostly on American basebale

Culraven, when I was young I had a old copy of How I Play Snooker for a couple months(my library got it for me) I did my best to copy Joe, although I never knew he was vison impaired with his right eye until recently. I had all kinds of trouble potting balls, i thought I just had to many bad techniques. I switched to shooting left handed using same technique, but left handed orientated the cue under my right eye and I shot great, but no feel with left hand.

I went to order a copy a few weeks back but damn they are expensive to get over here. I am a big fan of Joe and he was a large part of my interest in snooker.

Comment

Dean.. Are you a betting man? I am 35 and started gambling for fun this year, mostly on American basebale
                Nope, many years ago I did a few trips with a colleague at lunch time to the local shops and I put a couple of bets on as per his advice just to while away the time waiting for him to finish his dog race, horse race, dog, horse, dog, horse, last quick dog race; that was lunchtime over back to the office. This was his lunchtime every day! (of course pre-internet) I had a couple of good results but saw the damage it can do to people, their families, and their lives, so never felt the need/urge luckily.
                Also, I bet if I did, my favs would never come in, especially with snooker players :biggrin:
                Last edited by DeanH; 23 September 2017, 08:42 AM.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have never been into betting except the occasional casual wager, like 1 pound on a game type of thing. I decided to set a budget of 125 dollars for the year to bet with, so whenever that is bust I will be done for the year. So I am definitely not a high roller or that into it. I also decided to put 250 towards stocks, first time ever, though I haven't made any buys yet. Figure stocks is sorta like gambling, lol

Comment

Hi. I live in the US, and am interested in learning a little more about snooker.
                    Mostly fundamentals of stance, sighting, pre shot routine, etc.

Pool is more popular here in the US, and though I love pool, the pockets are buckets. Also the tables are small compared to snooker tables.

As such I think snooker players have developed a betting shooting style due to much tougher playing conditions. On a 7' x3.5' table with 5.5 inch pockets technique doesn't seem to be paramount to people.

I played pool about 8 years, and just started playing again a few months ago after a 15 year hiatus. (Terrible I might add)

I have been watching Barry Stark's videos the last few weeks and would like to take good snooker fundamentals to the pool table.

There are no snooker tables in the town I live, though I hope to buy one in a few years, I have played snooker and cushion billiards a few times in the past, but mostly pool.

First make sure that you are using a quality material, cue, tip, chalk, this saves you many hours of training, a very important point is the quality of the table cloth, if it is worn you will miss many shots and believe which is the fault of the positioning ... In short if you are wanting to break the house of 100 points make sure that all details are impeccable! I hope I have helped, good game!
                    ”Corium sana in iaculat sano”

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                      Try getting hold of either Joe Davis how I play snooker book or Frank Callans book, both have excellent introductions to the basics along with more advanced stuff
                      I have used both books when I was learning and both are excellent. I still refer to both of them when I'm coaching. Do not try to copy Joe Davis' style as a lot of people quit the game trying to do that. On the other hand I'm sure Hello, Mr. Big Shot on here would be willing to give you some tips and coaching as he says he has schooled me and I'm a Master Coach.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        I have used both books when I was learning and both are excellent. I still refer to both of them when I'm coaching. Do not try to copy Joe Davis' style as a lot of people quit the game trying to do that. On the other hand I'm sure Hello, Mr. Big Shot on here would be willing to give you some tips and coaching as he says he has schooled me and I'm a Master Coach.
                        The 'Hello, Mr. Big Shot was a joke and I'm sorry for that. I'm sure if you have any questions there are lots of people on here who will reply, including myself, but be wary as you might get some conflicting opinions. Those 2 books are out of print now and are very difficult to obtain. SnookerScene magazine usually has a bunch of books on various subjects and some coaching books for sale on their back page. You can subscribe via the internet and I believe it costs 36GBP a year for the on-line version.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I appreciate your input greatly Terry, and anyone who will take time to offer me advice or bull**** with me about snooker fundamentals is ok in my book. I know little about snooker and don't mind different viewpoints.

Comment

Working...
                          X