This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Its a kind of wooden substitute, doesn't have the weight of ebony but meant to feel a lot like it. Can buy blocks or precut splices of it here https://www.cuemakerssupplies.co.uk/...ocument&part=2
    i'd find this quite concerning, particularly when trading cues with questionable origins. Would I prefer some patchy ebony or some jet black ebony that might possibly be something else? As it becomes more common if you can't tell from looking and touching on a second hand cue how do you know for sure what you have?

Comment

• I suppose that's a part of the reason the top cuemakers can charge a premium...you pay for the reputation and dedication to cue making as well as choosing top quality materials

Comment

• Just to stay on topic this is my polished jet black ebony cue following a recent re-finish and badge change (in line with Reg's new badging customs)

Comment

• Looks great, I get mine in a few weeks from Reg. I'll upload a few pictures when I do ��

Comment

• Thought I recognised your cue it's the one on his website....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Simon_c View Post
              Thought I recognised your cue it's the one on his website....
              ooh, cue celebrity!

Comment

• Yeah yeah just another ye olde ash replica but i personally havent seen a shaft like mine chevrons front and back

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttqblxnly9...41907.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/at8eqegk1y...41918.jpg?dl=0

Theres also one on ebay as we speak.

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                  Its a kind of wooden substitute, doesn't have the weight of ebony but meant to feel a lot like it. Can buy blocks or precut splices of it here https://www.cuemakerssupplies.co.uk/...ocument&part=2
                  I looked it up, It as got good reviews for performance and appearance, If you like a light cue, 15, 16 or 17oz and advertized as ebony, I would give it a second look, sounds like weights will be needed to go over 17 and over and keep a half decent balance point. I is also very stable and works well with normal tools. I have no problem them selling this as long as they are up front with product and use of weights. I personally dont like to have any weights in cues, but then I am not building them. Cheers
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                    I looked it up, It as got good reviews for performance and appearance, If you like a light cue, 15, 16 or 17oz and advertized as ebony, I would give it a second look, sounds like weights will be needed to go over 17 and over and keep a half decent balance point. I is also very stable and works well with normal tools. I have no problem them selling this as long as they are up front with product and use of weights. I personally dont like to have any weights in cues, but then I am not building them. Cheers
                    I think it depends what someone wants out of a cue. Composites like this have been used for years in musical instrument making. Even some expensive gibson les Paul's have composite fingerboards, and they perform well and are popular with performers. But... you wouldn't want it on a collectors item, or an older guitar or an antique violin. Same with cues i suppose, if you want a cue only for its performance I doubt ebobo/ebonex is going to affect much if you're happy with the weight if its attached to a decent shaft. It's more sustainable and cheaper, so i'd imagine it will be more of a norm in the future

Comment

• Simply put if a cuemaker is going to offer ebaono then they should incorporate into their cue ranges with a simple checkbox feature if they have a website, could be as simple as if you were ordering a cue from parris and have the option in the checkout as ebony butt\ebano butt and a link showing the differences.

Comment

• New Andy Hunter cue, Nonpareil & old snakewood front spliced Mannock

Comment

• First Crispian Jones cue iv'e had, attention to detail is just as good as his cases
                          Sorry for big pics, can't get used to this tinypic site (maybe should change it's name to massivepic !!)

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            First Crispian Jones cue iv'e had, attention to detail is just as good as his cases
                            Sorry for big pics, can't get used to this tinypic site (maybe should change it's name to massivepic !!)
                            very smart
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Very nice cue that Crispin one.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                very smart
                                Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                                Very nice cue that Crispin one.
                                Cheers
                                Came with a Mui tip on it, i just can't play with a rock hard laminated tip on a cue, the noise they make is horrendous, so just put on one of my old faithful Mike Wooldridge supertips and hoping it now plays like i want it too

Comment

Working...
                                X