Alrocco.snooker secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by chrisg View Post

Well, I am right handed, and decided to put my left leg on the line and shifted my body right over from left to right rather than right to left, and the result was, my potting skyrocketed!
    Could you please elaborate on this Chris? I honestly can't picture it. Do you mean left foot on the actual line of aim or parallel to it?

Comment

• Sounds like one of those behind the back shots, or maybe a yoga position

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
        Could you please elaborate on this Chris? I honestly can't picture it. Do you mean left foot on the actual line of aim or parallel to it?
        I've got visions of a darts stance or maybe a surfer, it would be the only way to get everything in line.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          I don't think this thread or the methods described have much in common with sightright. If anything, this approach is more like sightwrong. That's not meant as an insult and not saying it doesn't work for some people, but you can't use someone elses method which is producing good results as evidence that another method is legit.

I had a practice today. I played every shot with side for a while to test it out, and I missed more frequently. To pot these balls I would have had to aim at the rail or the edges of the pockets rather than the pocket, which is counterintuitive for me. I guess I could get used to it with time, but if I got a new cue, a softer/harder tip, or started playing on tables with thicker or thinner cloth l, I'd have to learn to aim over again. Much easier to learn how to aim once IMO
          would agree with the above and it's just too difficult to replicate consistent results day in day out. Interesting to note the arguement comes up about Dott who through his own admission has been struggling to understand what the middle of the white actually was and now after Chris Hendry put him back to basics his game is looking decent again. Thing is with roys sightwrong as we are calling it now even top players could start to doubt this entire method cos the variables of tables and balls and tips just don't help but if you pure the white in the middle it goes in a straight line mad that isnt it. Keep it simple.

Comment

• Hi, I have never said that you can not cue ball in a straight line. What I have said is that most players put side on cb without realising it, that is a PROVEN point. Professionals perfect there cueing for hours and hours a day, and still most of them can't master it on a consistancy. So what chance have the amateur got. What I teach and write about is to help the snooker player who would just like to improve there snooker to an enjoyment level. Players who make 50 plus breaks think that they know it all, no offence ment by that, but that is a fact. As for coaching professionals it is the easiest thing in the world, because all you do is correct there error which they cannot see themself, you don't tell them how to play. You just have to have the ability to diagnose the problem. And to get back to the point of straight cueing it does not take hours and hours on the table, i can get players with problem cueing straight in a few minutes. All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
              As for coaching professionals it is the easiest thing in the world, because all you do is correct there error which they cannot see themself, you don't tell them how to play. You just have to have the ability to diagnose the problem.
              Totally agree with this, but what if Trump came to you and asked you to make him drop his pivot technique and address the cue ball where he intends to strike it.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Are there any actual professionals on this site that would care to comment about all of this? You don't have to reveal who you are but Roy's "lets play with side on every shot" and the "1,2,3,4,5" aiming technique ruined my game. I had to teach myself again to get a break over 50, but thats my hobby. Its not really that important aside for the love of the game and the pleasure it gives me (and there was no pleasure aiming to miss on every shot in the hope the side was correct). I really want to know what a true pro thinks of all of this, straight from the horses mouth, not what Roy 'says' the pro's say.
                Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                  Are there any actual professionals on this site that would care to comment about all of this? You don't have to reveal who you are but Roy's "lets play with side on every shot" and the "1,2,3,4,5" aiming technique ruined my game. I had to teach myself again to get a break over 50, but thats my hobby. Its not really that important aside for the love of the game and the pleasure it gives me (and there was no pleasure aiming to miss on every shot in the hope the side was correct). I really want to know what a true pro thinks of all of this, straight from the horses mouth, not what Roy 'says' the pro's say.
                  Hi there,

No disrespect, but were you following the tips to the letter? Most people in my opinion who say things don't work either haven't given it a decent go (over a period of time) or haven't followed the instructions properly on the tin!

Graeme Dott said on Eurosport he was struggling to find center of white ball and was practicing trying to play dead center. We all "think" we are hitting dead center at times, when we actually are not.

Another point which I think Roy makes very clear in the book/video is this is not "side side" it's aiming left of center or right of center, barely half a tip - so because the center of the cue ball is a big area, it's technically not really side side IMHO....Or not what you would call extreme side!

Get someone to look over you and they can tell you if you are hitting dead centre. When you see pros on TV and they show addressing cue ball, you can clearly see some are not hitting "dead centre". You might say that's because they are using side. However, most shots don't require it IMHO unless you're doing something different with the cue ball, i,e using check side or reverse to widen or narrow the angle for the next shot...
                  Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

• Ha ha, come on. At best Roy's approach is niche. We've had feedback from people who have given it a go, and we have Chris who loves it (but doesn't really use it because Roy says that even he doesn't agree with how Chris is getting onto the line of the shot). And we have people who have found it did more harm than good.

I've read nothing that has made me go out and buy one of Roy's books (which I guess is his reasoning behind continuing to bump this thread). If anything, this thread puts me off wanting to put any money in his pocket.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      Ha ha, come on. At best Roy's approach is niche. We've had feedback from people who have given it a go, and we have Chris who loves it (but doesn't really use it because Roy says that even he doesn't agree with how Chris is getting onto the line of the shot). And we have people who have found it did more harm than good.

I've read nothing that has made me go out and buy one of Roy's books (which I guess is his reasoning behind continuing to bump this thread). If anything, this thread puts me off wanting to put any money in his pocket.
                      Hi there,

I didn't say I didn't use it, I just don't use the approach thing....I do however use the aiming method, and also the back of the ball 1,2,3,4,5....

As I have said before on a thread on this forum, you take the best bits from all coaches, you don't just listen to one, or two, you read all the books or videos on the subject and then decide whch bits you like or work and then try to implement them into your game!

Cheers...

Comment

Hi there,

No disrespect, but were you following the tips to the letter?
                        After 2 lessons, yes I was and it was utter drivel. I know this because on my 2nd lesson, I kept missing his "red into the middle" routine with right or left hand side applied as per his instruction (it is side if you are being asked to purposely miss the pocket) and I missed everytime. Then I just got down and played it normally and it went in and Roy said "well done, there you go". Enough said. I didn't bother telling him what just happened as I knew he would have come up with some.excuse but to be fair, on a few other shots I was purposely hitting centre ball and he did say "oh, that time you hit dead centre".

You can't tell me what Roy is teaching isn't about applying side on every shot. It is! He even teaches you to not aim for the pocket every time and aim for the knuckle. I was never going to hit a 50 under those circumstances.
                        Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                          After 2 lessons, yes I was and it was utter drivel. I know this because on my 2nd lesson, I kept missing his "red into the middle" routine with right or left hand side applied as per his instruction (it is side if you are being asked to purposely miss the pocket) and I missed everytime. Then I just got down and played it normally and it went in and Roy said "well done, there you go". Enough said. I didn't bother telling him what just happened as I knew he would have come up with some.excuse but to be fair, on a few other shots I was purposely hitting centre ball and he did say "oh, that time you hit dead centre".

You can't tell me what Roy is teaching isn't about applying side on every shot. It is! He even teaches you to not aim for the pocket every time and aim for the knuckle. I was never going to hit a 50 under those circumstances.
                          Well, I aim off pocket as he says, and mine are going in dead centre of pocket. Roy makes it clear in the video that his method, like anyone elses needs practice and doesn't just come over night.

Why do you think Roy is telling people to aim off the pocket? Because the balls naturally throw, and so you are adjusting for that. That's why it's important to not hit the ball hard even when you need a power shot...

Roy is right. Snooker is not about straight lines!

Comment

• It's what all the top golfers do too...aim for the bunker to hit the green.darts too, aim for the 1 to hit the 20.😂😂 utter nonsense.
                            H.b.142

Comment

Well, I aim off pocket as he says, and mine are going in dead centre of pocket. Roy makes it clear in the video that his method, like anyone elses needs practice and doesn't just come over night.

Why do you think Roy is telling people to aim off the pocket? Because the balls naturally throw, and so you are adjusting for that. That's why it's important to not hit the ball hard even when you need a power shot...

Roy is right. Snooker is not about straight lines!
                              I gave it time (there was a long period between my 1st and 2nd session with Roy) and it diminished my game badly which is why I was testing Roy out with my shots on the 2nd session and he failed to pick up on it with the middle red exercise. I also do not agree the balls naturally throw unless we are back on the 1980's nap. They certainly don't on my table anyway and if i miss, I know exactly why I have missed and its not because the ball threw and my aiming was initially correct. Like I say, I want to hear from an actual professional on here about all of this.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
                                It's what all the top golfers do too...aim for the bunker to hit the green.darts too, aim for the 1 to hit the 20.���� utter nonsense.
                                :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Comment

Working...
                                X