Stevenson 1016 record cue made by burroughes & watts - information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevenson 1016 record cue made by burroughes & watts - information needed

Hey, I was hoping to get a few questions answered on one of the cues in my collection. The cue in question is a Stevenson 1016 Record Cue made by Burroughes & Watts. I have done some Internet research and have only come across the cue once on The Cue Collector website. Also for a number of years now I have followed the sale of cues frequently on ebay and have never seen this cue up for sale. If possible I would like to know the rough value of a good conditioned Stevenson 1016 cue? Plus if this model of cue is classified as a rare cue?

http://www.thecuecollector.com/Steve...rdCueBadge.jpg
    Last edited by snooker147snooker147; 13 December 2014, 05:17 AM.

I sold one a few years ago, struggled to get decent money for it, see link here http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...481#post649481

And yes they are rare, what are specs on your cue ??

Comment

It depends on how you view a rare cue, verses a rare variation of a relatively common cue..
      There's several examples of the stevenson cue of the same design, but to my mind these are the same cue, probably made by the same company, with very slightly difference badges featuring different retailers names.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It's interesting that the cue plate says it was made by Burroughes & Watts, when the break itself was made on a Thurston table (at the Leicester square Hall in 1912.) As this looks like an ivory badge I'm assuming it was made very soon after the event.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post

It's interesting that the cue plate says it was made by Burroughes & Watts, when the break itself was made on a Thurston table (at the Leicester square Hall in 1912.) As this looks like an ivory badge I'm assuming it was made very soon after the event.
          The thurstons 1016 cue is probably a lot more valuable too, and probably harder to find

Comment

The cue overall is in very bad condition. However With it being a fairly rare model I want to restore it back to good condition and are hoping for people to give me advise on how best to do so.

The spec of my Stevenson 1016 Record Cue is:
            56 1/2 inch long
            9.6mm original tip (no ferrule)
            32mm butt
            15 oz weight
            Ash shaft (has been lightly refinished)
            macassar ebony butt, with mahogany face splice

The ivory badge is in bad condition the writing is very faded and not fully readable. On former post people have mentioned other cue maker companies also made Stevenson 1016 break cues. I’ve had a look at some of them badges and compared them to mine but the positioning of the faded words and also the few letters that I can make out on my cues badge indicates that its the Burroughes & Watts version of the cue.

Unfortunately the cue has a few other issues the cue makers weight stamp is also very faded I think I can make out the outline of the number 5, which probably means the stamp mark was 15 oz.

The biggest issue by far on this cue is that it has the old remains of woodworm around the position of the cues macassar ebony splices. The woodworm has not affected the ebony splices but it has affected the softer ash around them. I have therefore treated the cue so that the woodworm is certain to be longer effective and also sealed up the holes left in the cue. These now filled holes are flush with the rest of cue but look black in appearance, which creates a contrast to the lighter ash wood. Additionally on the front side of the cue I have tried my best to cover up the black coloured hole marks using a closely matched paint but I am now considering that it might be best not to cover up the other side as I may opt to remove the paint on the cue altogether and leave the cue with only the black coloured hole marks filled.

➢ If possible could anyone offer a better solution for fixing/coving up the woodworm holes? OR just If they think it would be best just to leave the holes filled in but still visible?

➢ Also was thinking if possible to get the ivory badge re-engraved by Tony Glover. Which I think would be better then getting a replica badge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130031741@N05/ ( photos of my Stevenson cue)

Comment

Working...
            X